Performing maintenance yourself

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Azazel, 3rd Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Hey guys, just wondering what requirements there are beyond giving tenants enough notice for access to an IP for performing maintenance yourself.
    PM asked for contact details of person who will be on the property ("legal reasons to protect you").
    Then asked what kind of maintenance.
    Then said they should accompany me on site - again to protect me.
    Mentioned laws have tightened up recently? This is in QLD.
    This was over several back and forths, and questions were repeated when a prompt response wasn't forthcoming - starting to feel a little pushy.
    Never had this much questioning from a PM before, anyone have any thoughts?
    Keeping in mind wanting to keep a good working relationship with the PM of course.

2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Laws are changing everywhere.
    I need to come back to you more fully once I get a clearer understanding but there are going to be some restrictions regarding landlords attending properties for maintenance.

Just hear say on the property management grapevine at the moment but I think it's going to be totally prohibited in south Australia at least

3. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

When you think about it a property management company will screen tradespeople before allowing them to work on a rental property, they need to have the appropriate licensing and qualifications.

What recourse is there for a tenant if A landlord has done their own DIY electrical work and it was not done to standard because they were not qualified ?

4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

That's definitely a good point.
    I understand dodgy tradie work, but I've let them know it's only minor maintenance on the outside of the property.

Xenia likes this.
  5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Fair point, but tenancy aside, isn't it illegal to do your own electrical work? Plumbing too. I have given notice to a tenant to replace a door handle at their request. I'm pretty sure you don't need a licence for that. :p

6. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

No but all trades people need professional indemnity insurance and public liability insurance - we do not allow them on the property otherwise.

7. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I haven't heard of any changes along these lines. What have you heard?

I can't possibly think of any reason why this would be an issue, apart from the normal licensing requirements for certain professional trades.

8. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I'm having lunch from one of the Real estate licensing trainers on Friday. Once I get the full gist of it I will let you know - may just be gossip.

There has been cases of tenant abuse by landlords so I'm wondering if it's got anything to do with that?

Also if we as agents are required to check out all relevant documents, ensure up to date insurance, verify ABN numbers etc, there where do we stand if we send a landlord where nothing is verified, into a property and they abuse a tenant?

9. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Maybe if landlords do need to enter, they would need to go with the agent. Police clearance is needed for licensing requirements - anyone with a criminal record cannot get an agents license and most agents have professional indemnity insurance.

Landlords would be completely unprotected.

I'm assuming that would be the issue as I yet have no idea - will tell you as soon as I find out.

10. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Wouldn't the insurance that I pay for on that property cover anyone - including me - while on that property?

11. thatbum

No, but Xenia's scenario isn't what would be happening either.

12. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

What does the $20M liability in the landlord insurance cover?
    Would my contents insurance cover me?

13. thatbum

Check your policy, but I'm fairly sure its for things unrelated to your original post. This thread is rapidly going into paranoid territory.

Your PM sounds like they don't know what they are talking about - otherwise they should be able to give you the "legal reasons".

I certainly can't think of anything beyond the normal tenancy law risks, as to why your PM thinks someone else needs to come with you.

14. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I don't really care, just chucking some questions out there.
    Thanks for the replies, I'll ask if they can point to anything specific.

15. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Agents are required to hold PI insurance not tradies. Workers comp only applies to employers. Public Liability isn't compulsory. Home warranty insurance only applies to trades work over a set amount (varies between states ).

16. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

I just went onsite on one my IPs just a couple of weeks ago in Brisbane. PM just gave 1 day's notice. No problem at all re changes in rules. Have no idea what proposed changes you are talking about.
    Have 2 different PMs across 4 properties, usually get advised by agent newsletters / bulk emails if there are upcoming or new rule changes.

17. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A fine line to tread if the tenants class this as an inspection as it is the owner accessing the property. (But you're only attending to undertake work ).

18. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

It was for minor items the tenant had requested we repair - after the PM had done the formal inspection a couple of weeks before.

19. Emoi

Emoi Well-Known Member

No reason for the tenant to know you are the owner, just let that bum crack show itself and voila, instant tradie/home handyman.

20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah, done it plenty of times in NSW, never had any issues.
    1st time I've heard of this before, but I haven't been to this QLD property before either.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.