Performance of active funds vs ETFs

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Omnidragon, 9th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dunno

dunno Well-Known Member

Always use periodic contributions when analysing number. Eliminates fudging the numbers by selective start and finish dates. Besides accumulating investments over time more resembles most peoples reality.

I'm here on this thread to learn by robustly looking at the data - not here to stroke ego's and reinforce pre-conceived ideas.

and what's with your attempts to baffle with ********? You do realise there are quite a few here that see straight through that and all you are doing is exposing your level of incomplete comprehension of probably a uni course or two on finance I guess.

Interesting that some enjoy your posts - I'm done with you. (does this site have an ignore function? otherwise I'll be back to this thread when you have moved on)

Perthguy, Sigman, UncleDrew and 8 others like this.
  2. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Wow ... What’s the **** you’re talking about? The fund I posted doing 10-15% consistently per annum. Try run periodic contributions into that and see how it works out. There’re quite a few who are quite angry that I pointed out the IRR is broadly negative over 5-6 years on the ETF - if that’s what you mean by learning and seeing straight through, then good luck to your investment journey lol

3. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Click on user, bottom right “ignore”. Sorted.

number 5 and Mooser like this.
  4. dunno

dunno Well-Known Member

Thankyou. I owe you a drink:)

Froxy, The Falcon and number 5 like this.
  5. Omnidragon

Yes ignore someone who points out your investment has done 1.2% IRR over 5 years, based on your own data.

Nice one. Can’t wait to put some money into it ;)

6. blob2004

blob2004 Well-Known Member

Just ignore certain posters on the forum and your life will be much better off - I had to unhide ignored content to see who everyone was talking to lol.

There is no point trying to change someone's mind in these things. Some will believe in evidence, math and research, and others will stick to sprouting how good their funds did over a cherry picked period and bag on all index investors.

I still find it startling the said poster had no idea what the historical stock market returns were etc and made no attempt to run numbers themselves - asking people to do it for them and then trashing how bad it was, while not telling us how he's outperformed everyone over his wonderful funds.

Just ignore and move on.

7. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Just one:D.

8. Omnidragon

Well the evidence is the last fund I posted did 10-15% consistently (no, not the one I put money into, but I chose it on the basis someone was using periodic contributions). Over same period the ETF did 1.2%.

Not sure how blind people can get but sure... conveniently ignore that and indeed you might feel better about making an average 1.2% return per annum over 5 years (and that’s on the initial investment. All subsequent ones are broadly underwater)

9. c_west

c_west Well-Known Member

Wow sounds like an amazing investment, screenshots of the purchases please

10. Omnidragon

Said many times. No need.

The only reason I even mention these returns is when people try low-ball comments like you did before. Can’t you see the guy on top saying I don’t even talk about them before?

But feel free to check out the fund I posted just above which seems to have consistently beaten this ETF you’re so keen to buy, and beaten it irrespective of when you entered.

11. c_west

c_west Well-Known Member

Are you talking about the fund with 0.77% management fee and 15.38% performance fee when it beats the index? I might submit my resume to these guys, should have a good base wage and when we can manipulate the figures to beat the index I can buy a SEQLD property in my SMSF and pay the comissions to the real estate agent with my increased salary.

12. Omnidragon

See for yourself
    Performance — DS Capital
    Manipulate the numbers? Lol.

The underlying investments are listed ASX shares and at the end of a month the return is calculated based on their share prices, same idea as VAS.

How do you manipulate it? Would you sit in court and stand by those comments if someone suggested it was defamation? Think before you make these type of comments?

13. c_west

c_west Well-Known Member

Need to work on your sarcasm detector mate.

Nice fund, I see it was founded in 2013 I'll check up on it in 20 years and see how its going

14. Omnidragon

Tell the judge to work on that

But I’ll help you check how it goes this year and happily share the results with you so you can compare

c_west likes this.
  15. PKFFW

PKFFW Well-Known Member

I agree one should play the ball not the mane.

However, it's hard to have two way discussions when someone can't even be bothered to check their own figures while denigrating an investment choice.

By all means, have an opposing view but at least back it up with something approaching the bare minimum of actual fact checking.

Perthguy, Snowball, Sigman and 3 others like this.
  16. PKFFW

PKFFW Well-Known Member

If these are examples of you doing that DD you mentioned that ensured your investment choice was not pure luck and was in fact your own awesomeness, then I respectfully suggest it is probably a very good thing you no longer work in the funds management industry.

Sigman and The Falcon like this.
  17. PKFFW

PKFFW Well-Known Member

I've seen a number of posts from you stating such things as "if you can believe that" and "never trust the reports" etc when referring to company reports. So it would seem you believe manipulation of the numbers may in fact be going on.

Sigman and The Falcon like this.
  18. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

From DS Capital website...the fine print ;

Performance data above is calculated after management fees but before performance fees.
    Performance after all fees as at 31 Mar 2020 averages +11.2% per annum since inception
    assuming reinvestment of net distributions. Inception was 1 Jan 2013.

Wow. That’s amazing. S&P ASX200 total return franking credit adjusted is only like 8% for the same
    period (9450-16050). This is the dragon slaying example. Magnificent ! I’m sold, we’ve found an outperformer here. It’s a good game this, finding historical performers, bloody easy too.

Last edited: 12th Apr, 2020
    Perthguy, Snowball, Sigman and 2 others like this.
  19. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Qmnidragon is right actively managed funds can out perform ETF's, Even a medicore performing fund as DS capital has performed as well as better performing ETF HACK, but no where near as good as NDQ.. VAS has only returned about 11% for the last 5 years. HACK has done 11% p/a, NDQ, 15% pa. Better performing Managed funds such as Lake House Capital Global Growth Fund has netted 17% p/a., some have done better,.

20. Omnidragon

I do DD on companies or properties I put money into ... not what another fund’s FUM was in 2008 for gossip purposes. Nice try though