Perceptions and attitudes to wealth creation

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Owlet, 2nd Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Well done! The first step is admitting the number of properties your hoarding :D

Joynz likes this.
  2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Propertiholics Anonymous.

3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Hmmm.....I'm happy to admit that I hoard properties. Admitting the NUMBER of them though, well that's harder. I've got to count them all up, and I don't have that many fingers.:p

733, Perthguy, ellejay and 3 others like this.
  4. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

You can use your toes too.

5. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Or toes!:p

New Town and EN710 like this.
  6. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone for your positive responses. I am not too fussed about what others think. I just find it a little depressing that I can't talk about what I am interested in. Some people go out shopping on the weekend and impulsively splash out on a pair of heels and tell you about their wonderful weekend. When I am asked What did you do on the weekend? I usually respond with nothing interesting - because I feel I can't say I looked at an IP or bought an IP or renovated or spent x hours studying and I don't do any of these other wonderful things that others are doing. Similarly, family ask What have you been doing? and we respond Nothing Much. I have found that I have stopped talking. I listen but don't contribute. Thankfully this forum exists.

Adele, Iamnumber5 and mrdobalina like this.
  7. kishmalik

kishmalik Guest

Do you join investment groups or meetup groups? I wonder what kind of people you're talking about that are like that. I have a few reference points and it mainly seems to depend on things like social class, country of origin, past experiences and future ambitions, etc. Our life experiences and the cultures we grow up in shape our forward thinking, and how we get our needs met personally and professionally.

On a personal note, since you mentioned shopping and experiential stuff on the weekends, I used to date women like that and it caused friction because I always wanted to save, and dreamed of owning land. I ended up marrying someone whose financial goals echo my own (she's wonderful for other reasons, too!). The difference is enormous for me personally, and I think I experienced a heightened degree of loneliness without that, but I only realized it in retrospect.

It sounds like you've found many like-minded people on this forum but I'm sure you can find others in real life, too. It must be horrible to not have an outlet of expression for your interests. If you haven't looked at meetup.com for investment groups, I'd start there, and try going to any networking events in your area. You should find people you click with - I hope you do.

Perthguy and Joynz like this.
  8. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

This. I like talking about these things and finding out what other people are doing to help me learn and improve. We live in an amazing country with plenty to go around (although I'm sure at times to some it doesn't seem that way). The concept of being jealous that someone has more than me or has been more successful than I, and that I need to take that personally is alien to me.

I love hearing stories of success, and the detail of how, because in some instances I just cannot fathom how it was achieved, and it might help me be more successful!

Cheers,
    inertia.

Sackie likes this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'm the same. I talk about it with almost everyone and anyone. From the corner shop lady to the hairdressers. I don't get too much into it if they have no interest but 8/10 times people are interested and also I have made contacts, deals and learnt some very interesting things this way along the years.

Perthguy likes this.
  10. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Not at present. I see there are Meet ups in Melbourne's west now. I should be able to make some of these (almost went to the last one because this was on my mind).

11. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Pretty much people of a different mindset. No concept of work hard now, save now and be responsible for oneself. Live pay check to pay check, new cars and car loans, renting, going out, spoiling their in some cases adult children (in their minds providing necessities), excuses for their current positions and predicaments. What I have thought of as normal is not the case amongst colleagues which I share a lot of office time with. We have a mix of ages in our office including a mother hen figure.

12. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

I stuffed up once at a party. Casual friend came along and asked:

"Hey man, how's it going? What have you been up to?"
    "Oh nothing really, same old same old, nothing much, you?"

Then before he could answer a more investment-savvy friend came along and said:

"Heyyy!!! What's up man?"
    "OH DUDE I've got so much going on right now, it's crazy, I just did this and that and..."
    First friend: "Hah." *walks away*

Wall Street likes this.
  13. tasksta

tasksta Well-Known Member

I love to keep a few nay sayers around just for pure motivation, I love comments like this from the conservative traditionalists:

"You cant just buy a house and live off the income, if it was that easy everyone would be doing it"

"You should just buy a family house and work hard to pay down the mortgage as quickly as possible".

Don't worry about me mate just concentrate on getting through the day, left leg, right leg your body will follow LOL

Sackie and Gockie like this.
  14. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

I have a new entry for this week. I have inspired over the last 12mths one of my work colleagues, who has read all the books recommended and is shortly buying a property which she will develop. She shared that she was going to a finance structuring seminar and then this evolved in conversation about whether each other had seen the news segment on housing affordability. To which another colleague jumped in with I saw it and 'my age group only has 9% chance of buying a house'. Me with the can do attitude said 'yes you can'. Only to be told that I don't understand that some people don't earn as much as our profession. She gave a personal example of someone she knew. My response was 'yes they can / will be able to buy a house'. Again, apparently I don't understand how hard it is for some people. My response: yes it is hard. It is hard to save, to sacrifice and to do whatever it takes to buy your first home and this is the case for most people but my point is you can do it! And then she exited the conversation with I can't talk about this. Me, the big evil property investor! I was truly boggled by how my encouragement and saying 'yes you can' was attacked. Actually I did get upset by this and responded in the exchange with a few very personal anecdotes to counter her negative beliefs. Then that was twisted to her responding with 'not everyone has your mindset'. Time to buy another IP I say! Better than comfort food!

Gockie likes this.
  15. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Just find some like minded friends.... its interesting, I found out that a reasonable number of volleyball friends and acquaintances invest in property.
    I think its because its a sport mostly uni educated people play and so most are doing financially ok?

16. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

With the number of messy divorces happening around me, I generally like to keep quiet because of the senstivity of the matter. Not very equitable when the other half is demanding 70/30 share of the assets.

17. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

That reinforces the sentiment in my original post - feeling like you have to keep quiet.

18. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Time to put this to bed. Tomorrow is a new week. I am very comfortable with my mindset, my houses (surrogate family) and my bright future. Thank you to the PC community for listening.

tasksta likes this.
  19. RiMo

RiMo Well-Known Member

Yeah that would be quite depressing.

But you know what, this is your life. Yours and nobody else. I've learnt a long time ago that the level of success that someone can achieve is directly proportionate to his/her pain threshold. Doesn't matter what other people say, doesn't matter the negativity they throw at you, as long as you can get over your OWN fear, negativity, complacency, and pain level, there is no telling what level of success you can get.

I'll say go get your dreams. Don't play small. There is nothing attractive about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure or threatened around you. Give yourself permission to flourish and who knows maybe you'll open the way for others to do the same.

Owlet and Sackie like this.
  20. joel

joel Well-Known Member

I experience the same thing.. you mention anything about investing and suddenly people see you as Mr. Moneybags.

At work especially it's "we must be paying you too much" and if you don't have a family you're seen as "more expendable" than the guy with 3 kids and a huge PPOR mortgage.