People who started a side hustle, what inspired you?

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Niche, 10th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Niche

Niche Well-Known Member

Hello to everyone out their who started a second job on the side and has either kept it that way or has turned it in to their full time thing.

I am curious to know where did you get your inspiration for business ideas and what resources did you use to help plan out your journey.

I am wanting to start up a side business but I am struggling to find inspiration for something that hasn't already been done. I am mid 20's and just purchased a second property so would like to increase my cash flow a little and if that turns in to a full time gig then I am all for it.

Any tips, ideas, inspirations or general words of advice would be greatly appreciated

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

3. Niche

Niche Well-Known Member

Not sure how I managed to miss that post in my research but thank you!

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I started a second job as a casual lecturer/tutor ("sessional") 20 years ago at the invitation of a friend. I've got a package out of my day job, and it will now be my main gig.

At one stage, my wife worked as an accountant by day and call centre operator at night :)

The Y-man

charttv and significance like this.
  5. Lauren350

Lauren350 Active Member

Do you have a hobby / interest that you enjoy doing in your spare time? Do a search on Facebook, Instagram, etc for business ideas related to that topic. Do a search of Tafe / Uni courses ..which ones spark your interest?
    I don't think it's necessarily important to do something that hasn't been done before. I think it is better to do something you are passionate about & do it really well. i.e. provide a good quality product / service, treat your customers well, do as you say you're going to do, etc.. There are a lot of small businesses that lose customers through poor service ..their loss is your gain.

CantHurtMeGoggins, Sticky and albanga like this.
  6. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Why does it have to be something not done before? I would say if anything that’s the worst idea for a “side hustle” as it’s not proven.

A side hustle can be as simple as mowing someone’s lawn, walking dogs, babysitting.etc
    The idea being you do something on the side that “initially” doesn’t take up too much time/energy and earns some extra $$$.

As a prime example I built a website last year as a side hustle and it was a lot of work and cost me some $$$ and hasn’t and likely won’t return an investment anytime soon/ever.

charttv and Perthguy like this.
  7. chi.lam

chi.lam Well-Known Member

Some great tips already above so won't repeat those. But I'll also like to add, don't wait until you've got everything figured out before getting started. Just start doing it, baby steps at a time and overcome obstacles as they arise. My side hustle which is now my full time gig was nothing like I imagined at the beginning. Evolve as you go.

IIIusion, Jess Peletier and Hysteria like this.
  8. Cousinit

Cousinit Well-Known Member

Starting an Amazon business was supposed to be a side hustle but it has become much harder than I imagined at the beginning. So much stuff to get my head around.

If you have the aptitude you can do quite well.

I've been live six months on my first product but it's not profitable to date. Someone else ends up with the money and I get the experience

Sydneysummer and albanga like this.
  9. Hysteria

Hysteria Active Member

I didn't actually plan to start up a side business let alone a business at all.
    I was as welder / fabricator and a regular gym guy who enjoyed general fitness and a weight lifting session.

I decided to made my own power rack and gym bench to stop paying gym fees . I posted a very basic 2 minute video on you tube titled "My DIY power rack build" which is up to 78,000 views.

So moved on from the home garage and I leased a small place of 120sqm and started making racks and benches and also importing bumper plates and barbells/ flooring to sell as packages .
    I was still working full time in my welding job

.Had a crack to get opening an online store so customers could by my products .Dam what nightmare trying to find someone to build a basic functional website. Up to our 3rd site developer now and 17k gone! I think website builders /seo/ adwords managers for me are the hardest to trust.

Grew out of the120sm shed and into a 400sqm which I have been here 2 years. Next is 500sqm next month with higher roof giving up another 160sqm pallet spacing .

It is hard work as it requires action after action. I do most of the work my self, quotes, sales, follow-ups war house managent. I do have a couple of casuals who help out. We put in 220k in quotes last week so fingers crossed we get these as they are government jobs.

I really need to get operational systems for the business in place for when I do decide to sell or if someone sees potential and want to purchase it
    Most of it is just programme around in my head
    But still get excited to see what other products I can produce to show the fitness community

10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I think you should have a chat with @Ace in the Hole

11. chi.lam

chi.lam Well-Known Member

Just came across this: The Side Hustle: How to Turn Your Spare Time into $1000 A Month or More - $0.00 eBook @ Amazon AU/US

12. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I just kept hearing voices. For example, I'd park my car at he shopping centre and then all of a sudden I hear "hey datto, you want to get on?".

Or I'd be at the train station and "come on man, this stuff will blow your socks off. I'll even give you a free cone".

Ideas just buzzed through my head and I'm now seriously considering opening an ice-cream parlour lol.

LordofDulac, BunnyXiao, TMNT and 3 others like this.
  13. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

You can blame hearing those voices on the demise of your fav car. It's no longer Holden on. No Falcon good either.

14. EK01

EK01 Well-Known Member

I'd mull that over a bit before making any decisions.......

15. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

I got a bit burned out working away from home all the time, in a high stress job.

I got a local low pressure job but wanted to give my brain something to keep it occupied so I started a blog about one of my interests - houses design.

It really started as just recording what I had learned about building 3 new houses over the years so it could be of use to others who found the blog. . . no thought about how it would make money.

Over time I found people were really interested in the checklist on House PCI inspections so I wrote an E book and started selling it through the blog. anewhouse.com.au

Once I had sold a few hundred copies it then moved from a fun hobby to 'Hobby Side Hustle' which it continues to be even though I now sell four books and my sales are in many thousands.

I probably could grow it but I'm happy with the money I make and I now spend a lot of my time as a volunteer CEO running a charity (Disaster Aid Australia) so I only want to spend 3-4 hours a week on the hustle.

16. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I guess it's just a pipe dream.

The Y-man and EK01 like this.
  17. Hysteria

Hysteria Active Member

I agree, it would be great to have a chat with someone with that experience in the industry.
    I wish I had a crack years ago.. well I sorted did , purchased a franchised. Cost me an absolute fortune and swore I would never be involved in business again.

It was all ready a branded name, franchise fees, high lease, marketing fees. Was basically a product I couldn't add value to. I had purchased a 500k job. I guess most here have read or heard of the franchisee stories.
    15 years on and I still think of those days and the cost.

Now its me in control.

From making a garage gym rack we now import and manufacture. We have supplied the defence with custom equipment,QLD schools have added me to be a main supplier for gym fitouts, we have installed custom Ninja warrior style rigs for world gyms. Today I had a quote approved to install 200 sqm of astro turf and outdoor gym area to a council aquatic/gym facility.

Not bragging but none of this would not have happened if I did not read a post on Somersoft years and years ago ...some post about changing your mind set.
    Books about a Pumpkin plan and another about 10X where mentioned.

I am still learning and making mistakes, learning from the mistakes I have made, sleepless nights, stress and suffered anxiety dealing with phone calls and emails that I wasn't conditioned to receiving.

My accountant said " You will all find this invigorating one day" hmm ok still not convinced but looking towards that day when I can say I did it.

In the mean time I guess I will keep planting seeds. Go all in and go all the way!!

Ketsle, Ted Varrick, alicudi and 5 others like this.
  18. DoggaPP

DoggaPP Well-Known Member

Has anyone done alidropshipping? Have an acquaintance who does it and reckons it is worth their while. They run a shopify dropshipping online store too.

19. Matthew D

Matthew D Well-Known Member

Hysteria, may I ask what’s your trading name? I’m in the process of setting up a gym and have looked at equipment from various suppliers.
    I would love to check your equipment out

Matt

20. ParalysisAnalyst

ParalysisAnalyst Member

Was this private labeling goods sourced from wholesale alibaba etc? Utilizing amazon fulfillment. Interested to hear about your experiences on it.