Education & Work People who love their job...

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by WICB, 4th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

35 years?! Any plans to retire?

2. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Trying to wind down now Gockie. Currently doing 4 days a week, scaling back to 3 from March next year. My partner in the business's son is taking up the slack with a view to him buying me out in a few years. I'm 57 and wish to be fully retired in 4yrs. Still have a small amount owing on a 3rd IP, which I am now servicing big time.
    Hope you enjoy your new position.

Gockie likes this.
  3. Gockie

Good luck with the slowing down Taj! And thank you for the well wishes.

TAJ likes this.
  4. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

I love my job. I am a carpenter and have been for 17 years. Every day is a different job and I am not stuck in the same place for longer than a week. I have always wanted to be a carpenter so I don't know what else I would have done if I didn't do carpentry.

TerryN and EN710 like this.
  5. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Congratulations Gockie

Gockie and luckyone like this.
  6. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

I am ostensibly very successful in my field, well paid and probably close to the top with a few years till retirement. My regret is that I traded opportunity to build a property business when we were young in favour of a "safe" job.

7. hwbesqu

hwbesqu Active Member

With no idea of what I wanted to do when I finished school, and subsequently uni, I spent 11 years in mortgage and finance, 13 as a property manager, and now I manage a residential and tourist park (5 years to date). As the park is predominantly long term residential, it's basically property management, and I would liken it to living in a little village (16 hectares). I spend my day chatting to people, and they become friends. This job will see me out into retirement.

Gockie likes this.
  8. Lisa Parker

Lisa Parker Well-Known Member

I never thought to appreciate my pharmacist - that's really interesting and I wonder why it never occurred to me!!! That is really sad that you don't feel appreciated, I would really struggle with that too.

In regards to your dreams - don't worry about being realistic. Being realistic is for amateurs - go all the way. Just follow your heart, no matter how crazy it seems. GO FOR IT!!!!!

Also, you could be the most amazing, short, Asian, tradie ever - People LOVE female tradies. You should hear my trades go nuts when their is a woman tradie nearby - they don't see it that often so its such a novelty. DO IT!!!!!! Follow your bliss!

To answer your question - I love my job!

What do I love about it -

- I love working with so many different personalities and understanding what to do and how to handle each personality type to help them get to their successful out come.
    - I love working with nervous & stressed clients (I like to see the stress removed from their shoulders as we begin working together and see them begin to enjoy the process and have fun with it. I love it when I can see I have added value or helped in a really significant way)
    - I love pulling miracles out of a hat for someone really deserving and appreciative
    - I love how dynamic and fast paced it is
    - I love helping people who genuinely value the help
    - I love that I just "know" my craft and it comes easily to me
    - I just love it all, really, I could go on and on.

What don't I like - Full disclosure - and I am not sugar coating it because I am in the public eye :) dishonest people who try to take advantage and people who are rude and disrespectful. Occasionally one slips through the cracks - 1 a year for example, and they usually cause a lot of drama and try to avoid paying by doing dodgy things.

What else would I be doing if I wasn't doing my current job - NOTHING! Even before I knew this was an actual career its all I ever wanted to do.

WICB and orangestreet like this.
  9. Gockie

Re: Pharmacy... yes I'd agree. My sister (also a very petite asian female) has a pharmacy degree, it's an extremely rigorous and demanding degree, not easy at all. She got about 97 in the HSC. I don't think pharmacists make brilliant money for the amount of study they have to go through.

Last edited: 10th Nov, 2017
    Lisa Parker likes this.
  10. Lisa Parker

Lisa Parker Well-Known Member

Wow! Is the entry scores as high as needed for a Dr?

11. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

My wife's good friend is a pharmacist. The study they went through was ridiculous. And you had to get 100% on some medicine exam or you fail (only get 3 tries or you're kicked out).. reason being is as someone said above.. if you stuff up someone's medicine, you could kill them.
    Her pay started at $40k.. 4 years on, she's on $60k. Not worth the effort in my eyes.
    Become a cardiologist.. 3 years more study than a pharmacist, and the doctors my wife works with earn $450k+.
    Been encouraging my wife to get back into the books part time to become a cardiologist, but she's not interested :/
    Wish I could study more to earn more.. would pick up the book in a heartbeat.

12. private_number

private_number Well-Known Member

I work in the medical field and I love it as much as I love everything to do with property.

What I love about the medical field? I change the lives of people every single day and they remember me years later even if I do not remember them. Also, getting thrown into the medical field at such a young age I had to mature quickly which has also helped me in my investment journey.

What I hate about it? Working night shifts and the long hours. It does effect your work-life balance a lot and I can see how this could effect me when I getting married and have a family. My soon-to-be fiancé also works in the medical field so having both of us working in this area won't be ideal. Naturally, these are the reasons why I want to cut down my hours and focus more in the property game. I'll always work in the medical field as i've invested so many years of study, time and experience in it, it would be a shame to just completely move away.