Education & Work People who love their job...

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by WICB, 4th Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Or those who say money isn't important already have more than enough!

I worked two days a week in the library of a large selective high school. Paid a relative pittance but loved the work. Continued for a couple of years after hubby retired as I enjoyed the mental stimulation.
    Marg

2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I am retired - best job in the world :) :).

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Can't argue with that.

And we even got a pay rise! Despite drawing down the minimum for our age our super balances went up, so our minimum payments for this year have increased.

Better and better!
    Marg

Sackie, Gockie and kierank like this.
  4. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Yeah ok rub it in why don't ya.....

kierank likes this.
  5. kierank

And in a couple of years, we will be "forced" to take a 25% pay rise when the mandatory minimum goes from 4% to 5%.

Yep, life is tough :).

6. kierank

If you are looking for a new career, I am hiring ... :).

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

What's the job description?

8. kierank

RBE => Retired Bum Extraordinaire

You interested?

Sackie likes this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

You got me. Sign me up please! X2. the wife will want in when she gets whiff of this (pardon the pun), new development. :cool:

kierank likes this.
  10. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Where do you deliver them to??

legallyblonde and Dan Donoghue like this.
  11. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Actually your right about that! I would love to be in that position when I'm older. I would go insane retired at home without anything to do.

12. lowIQ

lowIQ Member

I deliver them to the Storks who then pass it to their respective parents :D

Heinz57, WICB and ellejay like this.
  13. Accidental Investor

Accidental Investor Well-Known Member

I'm a medical researcher. I love my work.
    Troubleshooting, getting results and using cool instruments! But the politics and publish-rubbish culture can be really dodgy in academia. If I won the lotto I'd assemble my own dream team! Realistically, I think I'll end up living in the bush and growing vegetables :)

14. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

This is a way to brainstorm for income and livelihood! Try to get the sweet spot - Ikigai. Does your work tick all the boxes?
    tyvToPYsyaZXtaFiUISw-P6abde6j84YSh5o3tXq81c.jpg

15. Gockie

Ps. A couple of weeks ago I printed out the above image, filled in the "what you love", "what you're good at" and the "what the world needs" sections... I've ended up applying for roles in another part of the bank that I previously hadn't realised existed. Got an email yesterday that will have an interview with them!

I will say, I really enjoy what I'm currently doing (and I have the best boss in the world) but i'm feeling that there isn't the growth opportunities for me where I am right now.

Would I love the other area? To be honest, I can't say for sure. But I will definitely explore this other world as an option. And if it doesn't work out, there's always alternatives. :)

I will say, try printing out the image and see what you come up with for yourself! By the way, I get plenty of recruiters calling or emailing me with jobs they are trying to fill, but usually these roles just don't tick all my boxes. The role might be suitable but the business/industry is not one I support or have a passion for. Or the role isn't a great fit imo.

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  16. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

What do you do?
    Small biz owner, RE investor, Stock fiddler, FX gambler. Noisemaker.

What do you like and dislike about it?
    Threw the alarm clock in the bin 15yrs ago. Don't even remember what public transport is.
    First world problems are a real biatch...

What else would you be doing if you weren't in your current job?
    Jingle writer in Malibu

Ted Varrick likes this.
  17. SherW

SherW Member

I too really love my job.

18. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

I know you do similar work to myself. 3 years ago I got made redundant from the Music industry, I was involved in the initial design and build of digital delivery systems and analytics. We really were cutting edge.

When I got made redundant I was scared that my next role would not be as amazing, I landed a job in the construction industry (building supplies) and for the first year was a little lost because it was so far behind what I was used to technically.

What ended up happening was I found my feet and the stuff I am creating now, is based on what I have done in the past but with the added benefit of avoiding the mistakes I made the first time round, as a coder I actually get to rewrite the history of my coding experience. I am sure you understand how fulfilling it is do experience this.

I applaud you for taking this leap of faith and I can only tell you that sometimes true contentment with something lies where you really don't expect it :).

Gockie likes this.
  19. Gockie

I just got myself a new job!
    The recruitment process was lightning quick.

Start beginning of December (because officially I have a 3 week notice period at my current work, but my manager will let me leave after 2! Holiday here I come!). What's great is that it pays 20k pa more than my current job. Shortish (6 month fixed term) contract but the work i'll be doing sounds interesting to me, and it's a role that supports a business that makes society a much better place for many people. It ticked the boxes!!

I wanted the change since I've been in my current role for nearly 3 and a half years, and I wanted to learn something new and get to experience different things. In my current role, whilst my manager has been the absolute best i've ever had, I wasn't being given the opportunity to learn or do anything new that would keep me challenged and on my toes and that was a bit frustrating. So I'm looking at more personal growth.

Only problem is, the role is in the city, not Parramatta. I won't be going to the Unicycling club meetups so easily.... Then again, my current work team will be moving to the city in March anyway, so it's just bringing that forward a few months.

Last edited: 9th Nov, 2017
  20. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Carpet and upholstery cleaning business for coming on 35 yrs. Coupled with this, mould remediation for the last 6 yrs.
    Have enjoyed meeting lots of people over the years and it has been rewarding on a personal growth level to have been reasonably successful. Would I have carpet in my own home? Not a chance!
    Would loved to have worked in a marine based field if had my time over (marine biologist, oceanographer).

TerryN and Tom Rivera like this.