QLD People moving to Brisbane / Q’land from Sydney

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by See Change, 28th Apr, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Coastal

Coastal Well-Known Member

The summer is *****. Otherwise its a nice place to live.

2. ThisIsLiving

ThisIsLiving Well-Known Member

Really? Melbourne is good half the year as well. Really only the winter months suck. Although this year have been reading about all the rain in QLD and NSW but the weather in Melbourne has been the best for a long time.

3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

To be honest, I feel great again now, but the underlying issue has to be sorted. I've got another week of high does something that does nasty things to my blood sugar,

Sackie likes this.
  4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Invest in solar in Qld and you can run the AC all summer long (I agree it's six months) and it wont cost anything for the power. These past two wet summers the temperature hasn't gotten hot enough to bother me, and I hate the heat.

iloveqld likes this.
  5. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Given climate change, I reckon Sydney up to the CC and down to the South Coast would be the ideal go to. Anything north of Coffs and you just absolutely wilt in summer.

Kriv likes this.
  6. iloveqld

iloveqld Well-Known Member

Looking back, do you see he was wrong 100% with all the imagination about his reserve migration?

frankjeager and Patrick Bateman like this.
  7. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I really have to disagree. I know it's only been a year, but up here on the Gold Coast we haven't had anywhere near the heat that we got in Sydney.

8. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I think the answer for Sydney is to stay more coastal or stay in the Blue Mountains. The east is definitely less hot and cold than the western suburbs are, I distinctly feel it when I step off a train on some days.

My house is extremely well insulated too for the most part. I have no idea its really hot outside untilI I get out the door, then I feel it's a shock!

Last edited: 16th Oct, 2023
    icic, Serveman and frankjeager like this.
  9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

That applies in Qld too. :)

Angel likes this.
  10. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

So , stay in the Blue mountains ..

frankjeager and Gockie like this.
  11. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Not really what I was alluding to....but sure.....let's go with that.

Patrick Bateman likes this.
  12. frankjeager

frankjeager Well-Known Member

Yeah definitely didn’t play out that way. Don’t think it was an outrageous prediction though.

13. frankjeager

Blue mountains can get hot too though

14. sash

sash Well-Known Member

There are a lot of simplistic arguments made. If you exited to places like Logan...in 2021.. you would be pretty much in the same net position today. They drop 10-15% and have just recovered back to normal.

If you then put it into Perth you would have made another 150-200k....and still vested in a rising market.

I exited out of Qld on only 2 there out of 7. But still have 5 there. But in Perth I went from 3 to 6.

The ones I am holding are in Redcliffe. Watch these areas.... I reckon places like Margate and Clontarf are going to do as well or better than inner Brisbane areas. I have some there and working on a KDR there. I reckon these are future $1m median plus suburbs.

Last edited by a moderator: 16th Oct, 2023
    Nobody and willair like this.
  15. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

It was when there hadn’t once been negative interstate migration to qld in the prior 40 odd years …

frankjeager likes this.
  16. frankjeager

Fair enough on immigration, my comment was more on general market trajectory.

I did sell in mid ‘22, not sue to rising rates (it was under contract before first rate rise) I sold because it wasn’t the best asset to be fair, stock standard small 4/2/2 out in outskirts of Logan lend lease estate, I got a great price for what the property was, today far nicer & larger land 4/2/2 going for same price I got. I’m happy with that sale, it was an asset I was looking to get away from for a fair while, looking back I think i chose good tIme to free myself of it

Patrick Bateman likes this.
  17. iloveqld

iloveqld Well-Known Member

Good on you mate. As quickly as you get back to the market may help as I am afraid some weird prediction may made a lot people sell on downing market then could not buy back in time and it is painful to watch the market rising up when holding the cash of the previous sales.
    Or even worse, the lending capital dropped because of the rate rises after selling preventing you getting back to the market while bearing all the selling cost.

That is why I hate fake and imagination numbers.

frankjeager and Patrick Bateman like this.
  18. Coastal

Coastal Well-Known Member

The weather has been pretty weirdo this year. Hot and cold weather somewhat like Melbourne. Yesterday was hot and today is a lot cooler. There will be an up and down summer this year.

19. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

If you have the money I think having multiple options would be the go as long as you can own each option outright.
    So when it’s freezing down south you migrate up north near a beach. When it’s boiling hot you find a nice cool spot somewhere else.
    As far as living in cities like Sydney and Melbourne I think it’s positive and free vibe is over. I don’t have the right answer yet but I think it comes down to having options.

20. Serveman

Serveman Well-Known Member

I am going to look up the actual numbers of internal migration habits in Australia both historically and current trends and try and research these people as to why they moved.
    Also will be interesting to see what the data is showing with international migration patterns.
    Will there be a reversal or is there one happening is an interesting point that some people have mentioned. I have seen some data suggesting that some regional areas that went ballistic during the lockdowns have reversed significantly and that’s not hard to achieve in a small area. Then there are some regions that have remained stable.
    While many on this forum talk about Melbourne, Sydney, GC, SC and Brisbane and sometimes Perth, my darling is Adelaide.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia