QLD People moving to Brisbane / Q’land from Sydney

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by See Change, 28th Apr, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

My original observation of people selling up in sydney and moving to Brisbane around 2000 was the reason we started our investment journey in Logan .

Currently working in Sydney’s northern beaches and I’m seeing exactly the same thing . Some people have already moved , some are in the process of moving and some are planing .

quite a few are parents are selling up to be near children .

This time , they’re not moving to Logan , ipswich or couboulture but we’re talking northern beaches . Sunshine Coast seems to be the most popular .

I can bet my bottom dollar people in Logan are still going to be going to the cheaper lower end areas .

sell in Letho for 600 and you have spare cash to by a car and boat or caravan in brisbane .

Are other people talking to people who are doing the same ?

my perception is that with things now open , as Sydney is stopping and rate going up , the flight to cheaper is only just beginning .

after Sydney peaked last time , brisbane kept moving for several years

cliff

Serveman, Observer, RPI and 6 others like this.
  2. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I've been living on the Sunshine Coast for 5 years now - the last two years has seen a massive influx of families moving from southern cities. I reckon 90% of the new people I meet are from either Melbourne or the Northern Beaches of Sydney.

Whilst the coast has become much more expensive - they all see value in QLD relative to what they could buy in their home towns.

It will be interesting to see if there's a migration back to Sydney/Melbourne a couple of years from now when the honeymoon period is over. Some will miss the bigger cities, family, friends, etc.

Cheers

Jamie

3. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

The interstate migration in the last 2 years has been crazy. Most from NSW and VIC and to Qld.
    We moved up beginning of 2020 to the Gold Coast. We love the lifestyle.

People were buying properties sight unseen, by watching video walkthroughs. Buying was frantic end 2020- 2021.
    Whether families have done their research re jobs etc remains to be seen. And prices have jumped 30+% since then so not as cheap as it used to be. Mind you even before the jump we found things more expensive than we predicted.

I saw an article on the migration with charts in the Financial Review but couldn't link it.

4. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

My sister has just moved back to her house in Logan after renting at the Sunshine Coast for the past 8 years. Rental prices in SC kept increasing faster then Logan, and she was having to move every year since the owners always had more then one property and were either selling the rental or moving back into the rental and selling PPOR. She started at Maleny and had to keep moving out further. She was just considering moving to Gympie, then decided to call it quits and move back to Brisbane. She did consider moving to Perth at some stage.

5. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Well-Known Member

Yep I think brisbane has a year or 2 left of
    growth and after that I see a plateau not a fall and then another spurt before the Olympics

icic, craigc, Catsgo and 1 other person like this.
  6. icic

icic Well-Known Member

I think the likely scenario is that growth will slow down abit the more as it gets closer to Melbourne's price, once it matches or slightly exceeds Melbourne's price, it will plateau and then a minor correction. Unless rates goes down again and Melbourne starts to accelerate, i can't see how this rate of growth will stay with us for more than a year. I think 75% of the growth are already done for this cycle.

Patrick Bateman likes this.
  7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Yes, nice idea, sell up in Mt Druitt and buy in some nice area in Qld, be it around Sunshine Coast or SE Qld.

Yep, get a half decent house with a pool maybe. Mix with locals. Ridicule the colour of their number plates and keep reminiscing about Sydney.

You’d probably be $100K better off.

Serveman, skater and Gen-Y like this.
  8. Arthurark

Arthurark Well-Known Member

Just my 2 cents but a lot of people who leave Sydney normally whine about how good Sydney was for the next 20 years. They’d be better off moving back so they don’t live in regret. Some do ok though.

I think those who have lived in Sydney for a shorter time and aren’t as entrenched in the community happily move on to the Queensland lifestyle.

As for Logan well it’s got that bushy lifestyle with beaches not too far away. Where as Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast have that coastal intensity some people get sick of.

Good times for SEQ property regardless imo

Soy, Observer and datto like this.
  9. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

I don't know why people would sell Mt. Druitt and move to Logan. It is not really upgrading the scenery by doing it.

Bris developer, datto and Mr Burns like this.
  10. datto

datto Well-Known Member

True. But its upgrading the scenery of Mt Druitt lol

11. Frenchie

Frenchie Well-Known Member

Sunny coast has a big advantage - it's close enough to Brisbane to spend a day there, work from the office once or twice a week, spend a weekend, etc.

If you want to go to a capital city and not a big regional town (lol), there are cheap and frequent flights from MCY to Melbourne and Sydney.

12. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

What do you mean?
    [​IMG]

datto likes this.
  13. datto

datto Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Yeah.

Observer and TheSackedWiggle like this.
  14. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

When one looks at what's available 2 hour's drive from Brisbane's CBD for the entry price at places like Warwick for less then 400k compared to Logan ..
    69 Dragon St Warwick 4370..

datto likes this.
  15. datto

datto Well-Known Member

And that's a commercial property as well as residential. Seems like good value. Although, it is a 2 hour drive to Brisbane.

willair likes this.
  16. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

There has been a few like that one ..
    Another one was on 4000 plus sqms with a old stone front shop and 4 houses on several titles for 800k and above $1300-00 in weekly rentals --
    But I don't think that one even was ever listed just wiwo .
    Plus it's all downhill on way back to Brisbane bit different going up that range..

datto likes this.
  17. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Be warned.. the bell toleth for tops of Logan, Ipswich, Moreton Bay, Brisbane ...... :D:p

frankjeager, Nando Lee and willair like this.
  18. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Reversal of the population to places like Perth and Melbourne will start soon

Nando Lee and Squirrell like this.
  19. Bris developer

Bris developer Well-Known Member

There’s never really been that many jobs in Brisbane. I always found that this is a city that you’ve gotta hustle to make a great living. Where as in Sydney … you can do the standard corporate gig and still accumulate serious wealth

Brisbane in my experience is also a far harder place to break into social circles. Each to their own - I could definitely see a reversal - once the going gets tough it’s nice to be in a bigger city with more opportunity and support sometime

datto, sash and Soy like this.
  20. Squirrell

Squirrell Well-Known Member

The next leg up for seq will be kiwis mass migrating.

datto and Catsgo like this.