NSW penrith vs campbelltown vs liverpool

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by SharonC, 4th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

I think it would require a tidal wave more than a ripple for the hills to affect penrith prices lol

NadiaHsu and Brian84 like this.
  2. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Now, when you say Sydney are you also referring the central coast, south Coast, Newcastle etc? I assume Sydney means Sydney metro.

3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

The thing is.... (and my apologies to anybody living in these areas)... there's no desirable areas near Campbelltown and Liverpool really though.... North West has better demographics than the south west. I think the south west is just about the least desirable part of Sydney. At least Mt Druitt etc has some potential with a good train line, "good" roads (waiting for the M4 East link!) and it borders Blacktown and Doonside etc which is all becoming better as the population expands westwards. So I think the first home buyers will go that way moreso than the south west. But that's just my opinion.
    Also, I have a colleague building a house out at Jordan Springs. It will cost him about 800k for the full completed property. I doubt he'd sink that sort of money for something in the southwest. Perception is, north = good. South = dodgy. Sorry...

Last edited: 7th Oct, 2015
    CaliforniaPoppy and Glorion like this.
  4. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

None of those places are a part of Sydney..

Phantom and larrylarry like this.
  5. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Good. I thought PCers have already stopped buying in Sydney long time ago.

See Change likes this.
  6. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

Hahaha you're kidding yourself if you think anything you just said is true. Southwest has very desirable suburbs and has as many, if not more train stops than mt druitt..and is also a lot less run down with a lot more brick homes and has a lot more jobs than mt druitt and its surrounds

7. Gockie

Us Northern Sydney folk wouldn't ordinarily venture into the southwest without a barge pole. Sorry...
    Anyway, transport to Parramatta from the southwest is pretty poor.

See Change likes this.
  8. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

The only true thing about your statement is that Northwest is more desirable than Southwest.. But I live in a very desirable suburb close to Liverpool...craps on anything within 15km of Mt Druitt

9. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

Hahaha this keeps getting better and better.. When was the last time you visited both mt druitt and its surrounds and the south west? never?

Last edited: 7th Oct, 2015
    Brian84 likes this.
  10. Gockie

I visit the Mt Druitt area regularly for volleyball since about 2009 (play at Emerton Leisure Centre). Liverpool and Campbelltown... never. I just don't have any reason to go there. Btw. I do have an IP in the Canterbury Bankstown area, that area felt ok for me to buy into as its closer in, and I had some familarity with the area as I used to do some work in the Campsie Big W (they did a store refit around the turn of the century and I helped out).
    But I have no reason to go into the South West. And heaps of Northern Sydney people would think the same as me. If its a stigma, and perhaps reality doesn't match the perception...maybe. But its a real perception. Some people have it....
    Sorry.

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Call me silly, but I think we are now seeing cracks form in the Sydney market, if this is the case then why would you buy at peak, this is the best way to lose money.

Once the market tanks, we have oversupply and then property prices actually fall back.

MTR:)

ej89 likes this.
  12. Gockie

Totally agree 100%. And it's better buying closer to the city in any case.

13. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

I don't think you should be advising people on your "perception" when you've never been there.. Advise them on the facts and what locals think if you know... Nobody in the northern part of Sydney will live in Southwest so why would they know anything about what the locals want and don't want and what they do and think..
    The stigma around Campbelltown and Liverpool is long gone thanks to all the development and gentrification of most suburbs..The stigma around Mt Druitt will last a lot longer than the stigma around Liverpool and Campbelltown, where developers and councils have cleaned up areas and there are new houses in many parts of it..

IMO your views on transport in the Southwest and it also having no desirable areas and Penrith being close to the Hills has lost you all your credibility on this forum in my eyes.. Maybe the reality doesn't match my perception of your posts though...

14. Hidare

Hidare Active Member

I agree. Liverpool and Campbelltown area has been changing a lot. I am planning to buy my first IP in Southwest such as in Ingleburn or Minto. But I am not sure whether it is the right time to buy or wait for a while.

15. Gockie

Best to wait!

16. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Nothing wrong with C-town.
    Mac Fields, Ingleburn, Minto etc. are all improving suburbs close to train lines.

Brian84 and ej89 like this.
  17. Gockie

I'm sorry but that's my perception. The southwest is a big area, and I don't go there. There's lots of other places in Sydney I am more comfortable in. I have some comfort in Penrith but its still too far out for me.

I know somebody who ran a business in the southwest (Pack and Send) and he started it not long before the GFC. He was treading water before the GFC but after it... no chance. The population of people there just couldn't make the business viable. Ended up losing a lot of money.

However a lot of other Pack and Send businesses in other parts of Sydney were doing fine. I also have a friend living in the southwest who drives to Mascot to work. She thinks its a horrible drive every day. And also I had a colleague who bought out in Prestons... after about a year or so she decided to move out and rent somewhere closer to work (we worked near town hall). The travel commute was a bas**rd.

So anyway, this all contributes to why I feel like this....

18. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

I would wait. It's slowed down a fair bit.

19. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

I think you need to get that barge pole out of your arse. You obviously haven't been to Liverpool lately. Liverpool is 100 times better than mt druitt. A lot more new estates around Liverpool/Campbelltown than what there is around druitt. I sure wouldn't be paying $800k for a property in Jordan springs. It is pretty much cranebrook area which isn't much better than mt druitt.

20. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

I would wait for a bit. In my opinion the prices in inglburn, glen field and Minto are to high for the area at the moment. I think people are just buying for the sake of it and it could come back to bite a few people next year possibly, and when it does then you could probably get a bargain then.

ej89 likes this.