Peer to Peer Lending

Discussion in 'Other Asset Classes' started by wombat777, 4th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

@wombat777, do you think you would loan money through a p2p lending site? I was thinking about it. Risky?

3. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Yes I opened a thread on ratesetter but no response. Are you using money place Wombat?

4. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

@Perthguy, @Heinz57 - I'm not currently lending through any of the services. I would consider it - primarily in a funds pool model. It is more risky to lend to a single borrower. Some kind of diversification would be the right approach.

Perthguy likes this.
  5. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

I'm leaning toward ratesetter. I have set the account up but haven't had the time to devote to it. The returns appear good and I think the risk manageable. I will explore more maybe look at a small investment and report back. Meanwhile it would be good to hear of some Australian experiences with P2P. Lot of info on the web but mainly US.

6. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

I first read about P2P lending maybe 2-3 years ago via Mister Money Mustache–loved the concept so I will be watching this thread with great interest.

Perthguy likes this.
  7. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

P2P is a no brainer.......for the platform operator :) I struggle with the risk / reward analysis as the punter lender however.

Player likes this.
  8. DanW

DanW Well-Known Member

Forgetting about loaning money, would you borrow to invest? That's what I'd be interested in..

Supposedly the benefit for the borrower is lower rates than the big lenders?

9. Grogounet

Grogounet Member

Has anyone tried it?

10. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

I was looking p2p sector earlier this year but was focused more on buying shares in these companies as I could see compare to global market aussie is yet to embrace the ideas. I was keeping close eye on Money place listing but i think they were listed as back door entry. any P2P companies listed on asx??

11. JohnPropChat

JohnPropChat Well-Known Member

Has the landscaped changed in the last 6 months or so? P2P lenders taking off. I heard Westpac invests in SocietyOne. The much more mature P2P market in the UK is growing by heaps and bounds.

PS: I am primarily interested in ratesetter

12. Kirsti327

Kirsti327 Well-Known Member

The bank I work for invests in SocietyOne as well. They give borrowers a grade based on credit score and we've chosen to invest in the AA, A and B grade categories. Delinquency has been negligible and returns quite decent (around 8%-9%, with only minor administration). Good experience so opening up our mandate to put some into the C risk category soon.

I tried to get a quote from a few of the platforms myself for investing but the rate wasn't attractive enough to proceed (since I still had equity in a property and could alternatively access mortgage secured rates).
    One of the platforms, I think it was Ratesetter, have details of their entire loan book available to download. I looked through it a while back and they have loans as low at 3.50%, but they didn't offer me one of those :(

Perthguy likes this.