Peeling ceiling

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by menty, 5th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. menty

menty Well-Known Member

A few years back we had a peeling ceiling and it was repainted.
    Approximately 2 months later it started to peel again. What is the cause of this and do I need to change my roof? (tiles)

Attached Files:

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Have the roof checked.
    Possibly a leak.
    Marg

3. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

might need to check the preparation or even paints used.

4. menty

menty Well-Known Member

Does anyone have a reccomendation for someone good who can check for roof leaks in the sydney southwest area?

5. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Also look like some mould on the ceiling? Check if there's any leak

6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

is it a bathroom or similar? The moisture along with prep (lack of) may be cause

I had similar in a bathroom and re sheeted it..... cant remeber what paint i used, but it wasnt correct! :( starting to peel again.

Scrap back and find a good primer, plus look for a different paint other than standard ceiling paint. there may be a better bathroom paint or "sealing type" product out there

Anyone else recommend any paints for this?

Also menty, scrape back and look for water staining which could mean water is entering somewhere from the roof or above

7. menty

menty Well-Known Member

Its in the bedroom

8. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

I've got a similar old porch ceiling that's peeling. Apart from fixing moisture issues, my painter recommended an oil based sealer. Old school, but works apparently.

bob shovel and Perthguy like this.
  9. menty

menty Well-Known Member

I guess the first step is to find a roofer? to check if my roof is leaking. I don't want to paint the ceiling only to have it peel 2 months later

10. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

That looks like moisture coming through. I'd say you have a minor roof leak. If you can access the ceiling space safely, this will usually tell you what's happening directly above that area. You may even see a cracked/moved roof tile nearby which is causing the water enter. Deal with the leak first, then fix the ceiling otherwise it will happen indefinitely.

11. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

We've had (and continue to have) the same problem. Turns out it was caused by the original paint job being done poor - the paint was applied directly to the ceiling surface, without any form of undercoat/binder being applied first.

The painters have now scraped all the sections where the paint appeared to be peeling, plastered the resultant 'gaps', then had to apply a normal undercoat to this newly-plastered section. However, the areas of the paint that didn't scrape off ended up having to be treated with some form of special binder that was supposed to 'stick' the old paint to the ceiling, so it wouldn't peel off in the future. It appears to have worked in some areas, but not others.

We've had the living rooms done twice - it now appears okay - however one of the bedrooms and the front entry way need their third lot of peeling and plastering (but we can't afford to have it done right now). Painters won't guarantee the work or the product, as they weren't responsible for the original work (done back in the early 1980's). It's costing us a fortune.

bob shovel likes this.
  12. Tanya1335

Tanya1335 Well-Known Member

Check for roof leak as there could be mould starting to come through. Also how long ago was the ceiling painted, we have see this occasionally and when I questioned a painter his response was "either no under coat was used or if painted over 15 years ago the quality of under coat was poor quality and will need to be completely sanded back and repaint or re-plaster and paint"

13. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Plumber. We usually go with whoever the PM uses (if the PM is good!)

The Y-man

14. Coconutwheels

Coconutwheels Well-Known Member

Is the paint chalky when you run your fingers over it? This can also be caused by chemicals used to kill mould, if not cleaned off. Over time they can react with the paint and turn it chalky and pealing/flaking starts.

Scape back, heavily sand back and then apply a sealer binder primer, thin watery type stuff. Of course as others mentioned address what's causing the mould first, leaks etc.

15. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I put it down to prep.

I remember spending ages scraping loose paint in a 1.8m x 2.5m bathroom...
    Then filling them, then sanding back so it was smooth.... took me ages.

Then painted over it with some Zinser BIN or 123... can't remember which one now.

16. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

You say tile, check roof above this room and close by, could be a cracked tile or no mortar on and around some ridge capping.

The cornice area looks discolored, moisture is likely doing this.

No point re painting till that is addressed, a decent handyman will prob be able to tell you what is going on, otherwise get a roofer first (and get ready to re point etc, I bet it needs it), then make sure no more moisture issue, then can tackle the paint when vacant next, kill mould now.

17. Mark Hkg

Mark Hkg Member

Recently seen this in a property that’s for sale, up in Queensland, been told it’s from using the wrong paint and hence the latest paint isn’t binding and is peeling off.no one can guarantee leak from roof however I’d assume with rain up north if it was water it would already be stained and huge patches. Anyone seen or had similar?

Attached Files:

18. The Y-man

That does actually look like water based paint done onto oil based - we've done it before..... :( Whole walls of paint just peeled off.

Get a B&P to be sure.

The Y-man

19. Mark Hkg

Mark Hkg Member

Thanks, Did you do it yourself? can you share any information into the process to resolve and cost?

20. The Y-man

Yep - DIY just before selling. Got a sander and thought I sanded the walls enough but obviously not!

New batch of oil based paint to cover up.... and a very late night painting (fumes are so bad with oil based... :()

The Y-man