Peeling ceiling paint

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Gockie, 2nd Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hi Everybody,
    What course of action would you take on this celing paint?

There's similar damage (not quite as bad) on the ceilings in other rooms as well. 20160102_174143.jpg

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

There was a thread on this very recently with lots of responses - do a quick search :)

Basically though, scrap it off, sand, patch and paint!

Gockie likes this.
  3. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Scrape off any loose paint
    Sand around to remove any loose flakes
    Plaster the areas you removed the paint, sand back to create a flush smooth surface
    Paint

4. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Use a 30mm fine scraper from the centre out to ensure you get under any loose bits, may look like its all bonded but there's a good chance it won't be. If you don't get it now it will come off onto the roller when painting (pain in the bum)

Wipe the edges with a very wet cloth to imitate moisture from paint, give it time, see if it bubbles/lifts.

Spakfill flat any small holes. With large ones just smooth the sharp edges off. Wait for it to dry, use a sanding block or pole sander (poles easier).

As you paint you'll likely see more paint bubbling on certain parts of the ceiling, if you leave it (no more rolling until dry) it will possibly settle, if it breaks wipe the wet paint off and fix it.

Recommended tools;
    Craftright 4 Piece Scraper Set
    Selleys 180g Spakfilla Rapid
    Flexovit 115mm x 15m 180 Grit Painted Surface Sandpaper Roll
    ABC Rhino 1.2m Steel Extension Paint Roller Pole
    Builders Edge 83 x 229mm Pole Sander Aluminium Head

hematite likes this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Sell the house at a massive discount. It's beyond repair. :confused:

6. Gockie

Lol :rolleyes:

7. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Nah I've had worse, bugga of a job, time consuming, frustrating, but fixable.

Might wanna check whats causing it also, leaking roof or may just need a whirlybird (or 2, make sure ones over the bathroom) and some eave vents.
    If in the bathroom make sure the fan is wired into the light switch (both go off/on together) and the window has a venting strip, if not put a rivet in the frame so it can't be closed all the way.

8. VB King

VB King Well-Known Member

As above - scrape, fill, and sand.
    And use a primer / sealer before repainting.

9. Gockie

I gotta say... the sanding back is a complete bugger of a job if not using something electric! I was using 80 grit sandpaper but it didn't seem particularly coarse.
    I inspected the full house though and realise another section outside a bathroom is really bad....

10. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Good point, forgot to mention that, only required on non painted surfaces tho.

What are you sanding back?
    I wouldn't bother sanding the whole ceiling, just any spakfill/imperfections, which shouldn't require bugger all effort.

"If" the ceiling needs a clean, particularly in the kitchen (oil etc), use a sugar soap mix with hot water in the laundry tub with one of these (keep rinsing/washing it out, change water if really oily) - Sabco SuperSwish With Microfingers Mop

In the bathroom use this stuff - Paint Stripper Flood 1l Mould Action Prewash

WattleIdo likes this.
  11. Gockie

I figured I'd sand the edges of the good ceiling paint back so you cant tell where the part that was flaking is... after I removed the really loose bits the amount of extra loose paint that came off was quite a bit more substantial.

12. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Sounds like the ceiling hasn't been primered, just painted, had a few of those myself, right up there with showers not being waterproofed, leaking through to the other walls.

Likely you'll find allot of bubbling/cracking, bits of paint coming off on your roller going everywhere when applying the paint. Pain in the bum!

Not much you can do but keep peeling as much as you can off then primer prior to paint, or a 2in1.

How olds the house?

13. Gockie

Yeah... one part of the home kinda worries me as much of the paint in that section looks to be in quite bad shape, bubbling and cracking is a fair description. I think the house is mid 1960's.

14. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Everytime you paint you add a thin layer, so when you remove flaking paint, there is usually one or more layers difference which is visible upon repainting. No matter how hard you sand, its hard to remove the layer step, which is why i fill it with plaster and then re-sand.

15. Gockie

I think i'll do it for small sections but there are parts where the paint sections that came off are around hand sized, don't think they'll fill well.

16. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

17. Gockie

Thanks @WestOz .... a video speaks a thousand words... I know what I'll be doing tomorrow :rolleyes:

18. Ryno

Ryno Well-Known Member

I have peeling to the point i can see the cardboard on the gyprock. Does that need plaster or can i paint straight over it.

19. Gockie

Plaster, otherwise it wont be a smooth finish... refer to the video. :)

Ryno likes this.