PC Demographic Stats Poll

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by Property Twins, 25th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
?

Gender & Age Group

Poll closed 30th Aug, 2015.
  1. Male, 18-30

78 vote(s)
    26.6%
  2. Male, 31-40

103 vote(s)
    35.2%
  3. Male, 41-50

48 vote(s)
    16.4%
  4. Male, 51-60

8 vote(s)
    2.7%
  5. Male, 61+

3 vote(s)
    1.0%
  6. Female, 18-30

9 vote(s)
    3.1%
  7. Female, 31-40

22 vote(s)
    7.5%
  8. Female, 41-50

13 vote(s)
    4.4%
  9. Female, 51-60

8 vote(s)
    2.7%
  10. Female, 61+

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  1. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Easy to get great deals....

neK and Property Twins like this.
  2. TheGreenLeaf

TheGreenLeaf Well-Known Member

I'm quite surprise by the ratio Male/Female in the results of the poll. I was not expecting such asymmetry.
    Should PC advertise itself in Girly magazine? ;)

legallyblonde, Esh and Property Twins like this.
  3. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

http://www.smh.com.au/business/work...st-women-must-be-tackled-20150729-gin10a.html

'Unconscious Bias' - learnt about this at a training I went to recently. Noted this within where I prefer to talk to male real estate agents as they seem deal making. But I have seen some successful women agents in Parra especially from McGraths and some in North Shore.

I believe it's useless to use the victim card about the gender gap and an empowered position is one where women take responsibility for their finances.

At PC, since I come from the same age group, only 3.3% young women are between 18 and 30. While 25% of all members are male in the same age group; i.e. 11 females out of 100 males/females for this group. The reason could be that most people in this age group are more focused on career development and travelling. There is no right answer and they don't have to be focused on Finances at all. But the earlier the discipline of money starts and potential investments, the more likely it is for the compounding effect to be working in their favour. In fact I'd have been terrified had I not discovered IP till early 30's (only talking about my own perspective here). The issue is, I've seen people complain that they have not been able to invest because of children or wife. Recently someone said to me they didn't invest as their wife and children were sucking them dry. This man must be nearing 40 or early 40's. This did not settle well with me. He went on to say he had a great love for cars and it cost a lot of money also... So financial responsibility is a mindset to be acquired. It's a personal choice.

I don't know what the right answer is? Delayed gratification vs. instant gratification? May be there is no right answer, but the fact that people ought to take responsibility for choices, whether it's the former or the latter.

upload_2015-7-29_23-6-15.png

upload_2015-7-29_23-6-1.png

VeronicaR likes this.
  4. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

Please explain Sash

5. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

No. Recently I was chatting with friends who are parents of boys and friends who are parents of girls and it was interesting to hear the values being passed on to their children, particularly the differences based on gender.

Chillingout and Property Twins like this.
  6. Befuddled

Befuddled Well-Known Member

I see this quite often in Asian families. Boys are encouraged to upskill and be career driven while girls are often almost discouraged from being overly high achieving. I imagine the numbers on this poll reflects this sentiment to a certain extent

For example, a young man is considering going into property investment. He talks to family and friends who encourage him to have a crack. He takes the plunge.

On the other hand, a young woman with a similar interest goes to her family, who promptly shoot her down and warn her of all the risks and dangers. She's disheartened and gives up.

This sliding doors moment makes a world of difference down the line...

WattleIdo likes this.
  7. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

My parents.... 100% on the risks and dangers...

Befuddled likes this.
  8. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Come on @MsAli Owlett wants an explanation......please explaaiin........

9. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

@Owlet it's an old joke. Sash believes @monalisa and I are Sindhi.....and Sindhis are shrewd business people. I took it as a complement :p

10. Gockie

Back to the poll... these female percentages are not improving at all...

Last edited: 30th Jul, 2015
    Property Twins likes this.
  11. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Boy power wins....;):p

Esh likes this.
  12. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I don't think the Boardroom inequality has all that much to do with gender. All this talk about getting 50% of numbers in Boards Room positions etc - why? Who cares? it's a laugh. There are plenty of women at the highest level these days.

But, many women are also not that career focused to be bothered making the sacrifices to get to that top level and responsibility, long hours, etc.

My wife - as one example - has a degree in Nursing, and has had a number of opportunities over the years to "climb the ladder" and move into the admin and/or teaching side of the profession. But the trade-off is loss of free time, less flexible hours, more headaches and responsibility - she has no interest in any of that. She enjoys what she does, and enjoys her flexibility.

Women as a group tend to gravitate towards these types of jobs, and of course; they don't pay as much.

Also, on equal pay; I don't know how they compile these stats, because from my experience most women in most professions get paid the same amount as their male colleague in the same role. My guess is they use the total amount of dollars earned by women, and the total amount of dollars earned by men, then take the average. This is wildly inaccurate.

The problem is that there are far less women in full-time roles, far less in management (see above).

Many women want to work, but also be able to spend time with their kids etc - so the volume of hours they are willing to work is probably never going to be the same as the men.

Sackie likes this.
  13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I never believed in the 'its harder for women to climb the ladder than it is for men' myself. I know many women who are highly educated, focused and very driven, occupying top positions.

14. Gockie

I'm thinking to be a property investor a business orientation or Engineering/IT/Accounting type background helps because you understand the numbers and get to learn to analyse things.

There are many more male IT workers and Engineers than female, if you work in jobs were you don't see the numbers then you won't have the inclination?

Also guys are more likely to have a trade and be working on people's homes then they realise after speaking with a few owners, hey, I should be doing this myself??

Esh likes this.
  15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Hey @Gockie,

I think accounting degree can definitely help with the numbers but I don't think its essential.

You know what I've seen a lot of?

I've seen soooo many professionals have higher degrees, doctorates, masters etc and not be able to build any wealth. I believe quite often they tend to want to analyse things way too much which kills any momentum towards taking action and building wealth. They feel they are 'safer' because of their 'high job, qualifications etc' and dont tend to think much about investment for the future. Then I see the average Joe, average job, decent pay, building a massive portfolio and wealth. Gotta love it :D Just what I've observed over the years.

16. Gockie

True Leo. Lots of highly paid, uni educated people don't invest, thinking a high salary is enough. But IT/Engineers like to build things generally. I build reporting in my job, and I love it. I think the building aspect of my work helps? I also think logically, question everything and if things stack up i'll give it a go...

17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@Gockie True. i'm sure some aspects would help, no doubting that. Personally, I think the best jobs that would help are jobs which require much leadership, project management of people and then the ones directly related to property, eg architecture, building, and trades.

18. ross100

ross100 Well-Known Member

Agree on the Sindhis been .. and sharp and yes thats a compliment :)

Property Twins likes this.
  19. The_good_life

The_good_life Well-Known Member

The assumption here is everyone is being truthful ;)

Esh likes this.
  20. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Gasp... 17% Female o_O