Paying/Paid it Forward?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by WestOz, 12th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Perhaps an odd one for this forum however thought it might be a positive for some of the negative.

I was watching a youtube, on the right was the usual recommended vids to watch. Perhaps common for many there was an Ellen one.
    Being a straight guy and working away from the idiot box during the day I don't watch Ellen, but I know she has a big caring heart, lovely person, pays it forward in trumps, imagine if everyone was like her.

Men, your prob thinking, lol WestOz is a softy etc, but if you can watch >THIS VIDEO< without feeling something, especially if your a dad, well???

So it got me wondering, property investors/LL's are perhaps considered a-hole scrooges all about how much money they can make etc... I.e. I don't have any money (but I have millions tied up in negative gearing assets)

No doubt there's some like that amongst us, but I know there's some with big hearts like me.

I'll reserve mine for now until I see how many others post theirs, however....

What, if anything, do you do, or have you done, to pay forward your good fortune?

Xenia and Perthguy like this.
  2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

I give people in low socio areas a go when most landlords wont. Single mums, new immigrants with limited english etc. The houses are not the taj mahal, and are solid so can withstand a beating. Only had 1 real issue over the years, otherwise they are some of my best paying tenants.

Everyone deserves a chance or a start at a better life.

aussieB, Starbright, fols and 2 others like this.
  3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Yep. 457 visa holders and now a single mum. Mine have been good too.

MTR likes this.
  4. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

I love this, love Ellen too.
    It's all about paying it forward, tithing is more than just helping people it's about creating a mindset of abundance too, and losing the scarcity and fear most people have over the subject of money.

The more you give away, the more you can create, money is an idea, an agreement, it's not precious and treating it like it is not only stops the help-flow you can create for other people, it also poisons your mind to worship money.

I help where I can, with money, time (I have less of this), I gave away my 5 year old commodore to a family member when I bought a new car recently. Not worth my time in trying to sell it when I can just focus on my business. Never ever had a garage sale, not interested in making money on petty things when I can just give it away. It's all about creating an environment of abundance.

MTR, Player, WestOz and 2 others like this.
  5. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

Probably the biggest thing for me is being a member of Rotary for over 20 years.

The average club would raise more than $1,000/member/year plus put lots of unpaid time into community projects (The money to run the club comes directly out of the members pockets so any money you pay to a Rotary project goes 100% direct to the causes they support)

By being in a service club you are using the power of the whole club and Rotary International to make a much bigger difference than you could do by yourself.

Why not check out a club near you? see:
    Find a Rotary Club near You

Clubs are always looking for new members to enable them to do more.

Last edited: 14th Apr, 2017
    Chillingout, hobo, MTR and 3 others like this.
  6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I like the sentiment of your post, except for this part that could only he said by someone with enough money to pay rent (or a mortgage) or put food on the table, and possibly having to choose between the two.

I say there are many who simply couldn't agree with your statement.

7. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

That's definitely another way to see it! Thanks @wylie, it's an alternative lens.

And on the flip side. Another way to see it is that @Xenia's post highlights why having wealth is great... It helps you get into a position where you can help others without putting excessive strain on yourself. Not to say helping others without having wealth is impossible, but if you are at your last dollar choosing to pay rent or to buy groceries, it would be better to look after yourself first than to try to necessarily help another with probably less pressing needs. But being poor really helps you develop empathy. So when someone who has struggled gets into a position to help others, I think they can be the most generous.

MTR and Xenia like this.
  8. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

You can only help someone who is drowning if you don't put yourself at risk of drowning.

MTR and Gockie like this.
  9. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

I don't think there are many on PC who are having to choose between paying rent or putting food on the table? And if they are they must be doing something wrong.

Anyway the OP's point was what have you done to pay it back.

Personally I've helped those around me as best I can. Both financially, and with knowledge I've gained from both personal life experience and through this forum. From giving struggling families a start with furniture and white goods, to coaching young co workers into their first homes because they're clueless with budgets. One success story came to see me yesterday asking how he can get onto the IP ladder after being led through the steps to buying his first PPOR 8 months ago at age 19. Ready to go again with equity and savings after the FHOG 12 month expiry. In this case putting in the hours educating him was more valuable than money.

Eric Wu, Perthguy, WestOz and 2 others like this.
  10. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Best feeling ever isn't it?

Sonamic likes this.
  11. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

MTR likes this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes

Xenia likes this.
  13. Jaggannath

Jaggannath Well-Known Member

Part of my job is educating the people who work for me about life in general, which I mostly direct towards career advice and examples of how to manage their finances better. Apart from that I am a keen slacktivist (I give money to causes I believe in, such as Legacy, Soldier On, Movember, Tour for the Cure etc.). I usually also give my old furniture to charity or people I encounter who are struggling rather than sell it, as knowing it's going to a good cause makes it worthwhile.

14. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I try and pay it forward in a number of ways

- I randomly pay for other people's coffee/meals and ask them to pay it forward
    - I give to the homeless (generally ones that aren't begging) that I come across in parks/streets
    - I lend via Kiva to people in other countries who need a leg up
    - I give my time to the Perth and PC community - I'm sure someone will pass on that Dulux Brume is the best colour ever :p
    - I paid off my parents mortgage so they wouldn't have to work anymore - but they decided that their jobs are a pay it forward kind of job (anglican priests) so keep doing it

DaveM likes this.