Paying off a loan

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Tony Fleming, 16th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tony Fleming

Tony Fleming Well-Known Member

Hi everyone in a few weeks I'll have paid of one of my IPs. I want to have the money available in case of emergencies. So the plan was to have the balance remaining as a months repayment and then each month redraw that amount out so the loan is still open. My plan was than to change another IP to principal and interest and have an offset account. The remaining balance of the first property would still be on my credit file wouldn't it unless I decided to pay it off properly.

2. Watson1

Watson1 Well-Known Member

yep if its available redraw, you need to assume to full debt going forward as it would show up on your credit bureau report when the lender checks.

Also be careful, some lenders automatically close your loan if you 'pay out' the loan when you net loan owing is zero and the funds are sitting in the loan. Just need to check with your lender.

Tony Fleming likes this.
  3. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Sounds like there might be potential Tax issue (if you actually care about it)?

4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Possibly a better way to do it would be to establish a line of credit against the paid down IP - that way the balance can fluctuate with no issue and you can decide on the loan limit - there's no point having an undrawn $500k loan on your liability column if you don't need it (particularly if you're hoping to buy more IP's).

Even better, set up 2 LoC's so you can use one for deductible and one for non-deductible expenses.

Tranquilo likes this.
  5. Tony Fleming

i'll look into it my current understanding that once you've paid money into the loan(it's my cheapest loan so I didn't worry with an offset) you can't touch it again as it won't be deductible debt. So this or next month sho'd be tje last deductible debt available. Any tax gurus know the solution?

Thanks Jess i'll look into this :)

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Don't pay off a loan, use an offset instead.

Tony Fleming likes this.
  7. Tony Fleming

It was such a small loan though :p

8. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

It doesn't make sense to have a loan with such a small amount available. What can you do with it? You would be better off getting a LOC against the IP to use for future purchases.
    Do not change the other loan to P &I, instead have interest only and put excess funds into the offset. You then have this money available in the future without losing tax deductibility. That is what Terry was talking about, not the small loan.

9. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

How big was it?

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia