Paying marketing costs after agent resigns

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by yoyo_guitarist, 25th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. yoyo_guitarist

yoyo_guitarist Well-Known Member

Any advice would be much appreciated. I am selling my property in Launceston Tas, I signed the Sole Agency Agreement to sell with an agent who resigned today to go to another agency. This particular agent was disappointing, and there were many faults with her selling methods and made minimal contact througout (probably as she knew she was leaving). I was less than impressed with the overall experience with the agent and agency. I would like to change agency’s altogether given the experience I had, but they are telling me I am still liable for the marketing and advertising expenses. Nowhere in the contract does it say if she resigns or the place does not sell that I am still liable for the these costs which are $1565. Below is the clause from the contract regarding the marketing and advertising expenses:

10) In addition to the Commission, The Vendor must pay to the Agent the cost of all expenses incurred by the Agent for the purpose of delivering the services under this Agreement (including but not limited to marketing and advertising expenses) PROVIDED ALWAYS THAT such expenses are authorised in writing by the Vendor (in this Agreement or otherwise) prior to them being incurred by the Agent.

11) The Vendor hereby authorises the Agent to incur marketing and advertising expenditure up to the sum of $1565

Thanks

2. qak

qak Well-Known Member

11) is where you authorised them to spend it;
    now you need to find a clause to give you an 'out' ie if the property was not sold.

Terry_w likes this.
  3. yoyo_guitarist

No wherever within the agreement does it say that the vendor is payable for management fees if the property doesn’t sell or does it say that I am not not payable. This was not explained to me I was merely given the document to sign. Surely if she has not fulfilled the requirements I don’t have to pay. I feel cornered to have to resign again with another agent at the same agency to avoid paying double agent fees.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps another agent with the same agency will do a better job. If you know what you want for the property and have already paid this agency for the marketing costs, why not see how the next agent goes?

Or be prepared to have to pay again with a new agency.

Marg4000 likes this.
  5. yoyo_guitarist

well that’s what I am looking at. The new agent seems pretty switched on and prepared to get results, but I would like to change given this agency has left a bad taste. I just wanted to know if any one new what the legal requirements were when an agent resigns pretty much

6. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Theyre not asking for management fees, just advertising, right?

She hasnt sold it so you dont pay the commission but paying marketing is fairly standard.

Most likely the contract is with the agency, not with the agent personally.

Your not looking for genuine advice, just for people to agree with you because you feel hard done by. But i would be surprised if you found a legal way to not pay marketing here. Just getting a lawyer to review will probably cost you a couple hundred.

If you dont trust the agent, pay the marketing fee and sign with someone else.

Propertunity likes this.
  7. Trainee

I doubt you read through the entire agreement given what you are saying.

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

1. You have signed an agency agreement for the sale. The agency can change staff at any time, the agreement is with the licensee.
    2. The agency has discharged some of it's duties and incurred an expense.
    3. How long has the property been on the market? What has been the feedback, if any?
    4. If you stay with the same agency, there should be on additional marketing costs if it's a result of at action of the agency eg staff changes.

9. yoyo_guitarist

Yes I am looking for genuine advice, or if someone has experienced something like this in the past, its the first house I have sold so still learning. Condescending feed back however isn't appreciated.

10. yoyo_guitarist

Hi mate, the property has been on the market 120 days. So basically weather or not the place is sold, not sold or the agents move on, I am liable to pay costs already incurred by the agency. I should have made sure of this prior to signing. My issue really is the agent didn't meet her requirements of doing her absolute best to sell my place. She just listed it and hoped for the best and maybe contacted my 5 times in 4 months. Not looking for sympathy btw just genuine advice. Cheers

11. yoyo_guitarist

They are asking for the marketing & advertising

12. Trainee

But what are you asking? You say you accept that you signed up to pay the marketing. But your saying that because the agent didnt get it sold you shouldnt have to pay it? There arent any cheap legal options here, if there are any options at all.

13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Based on that, most agency agreements are only exclusive for 90 days (you need to check this). If it is no longer exclusive, you can terminate the current agreement and negotiate with another agency for another period (having to bear costs again). Or you may consider a 'non-exclusive' so keep the existing agency on but getting another agency to market etc (you may negotiate a slightly different rate or get the new agent to bear the marketing costs). This may be different in Tassie.

14. yoyo_guitarist

Yea thanks mate. I will need to look into this further and chat to the new agent.

15. yoyo_guitarist

read the other comments not here to argue with a random online

16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Could you approach the agency owner, tell him/her you had poor service (four contacts in 120 days is poor service), and ask if they will throw you any sort of freebie for continued advertising with an agent who isn't so slack?

And what feed back did you get in the 120 days? Is it overpriced? Badly presented? If you've had no feedback that helps to know what to do to fix what clearly is either a problem with the house or with the agent, then that is also very poor on the agent's behalf. The owner of the agency surely would want to keep you as a (happy) customer rather than risk you complaining to friends and family (and online) that their service was so poor.

17. yoyo_guitarist

I didn't receive any feed back to why the place was not getting any interest. Just told it was Xmas time and it is the quiet period then after Xmas, we just dropped the price and hoped for the best. The agents fee was quiet low which attracted me at the start. The new agents fee who has been tasked to take over from my current agency is a lot higher (she said she will honour the existing fee as a sort of compensation). I am kicking myself for not going with the other agency (who is also my managing agent) who I engaged with at the start and taking the cheaper current option.

18. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe talk to the principal ,as any contract entered into by the agent is on behalf of the principal and is binding on the vendor not the agent..All the agent does is find a suitable purchaser and is paid a commission based on the settled sales price..If this property has been on the market this long then something wrong..

wylie likes this.
  19. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Reads like you are liable for the marketing fees, if the agency has in fact incurred them

Propertunity likes this.
  20. yoyo_guitarist

Yes that’s what I have thought mate, the new agent seems motivated to sell. I just feel like my place is stale now and 120 days on the market hasn't helped the cause. Given the previous agents lack of commitment to sell I was hoping they would waive the fee's out of good faith.