Paying LMI to 'save time' - worth the risk?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by spamal, 26th Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
?

What would you do?

1. Take the risk - Go LVR 88%, pay LMI to invest earlier.

72.7%
  2. Play it safe - Go LVR 80%, and spend 2 years saving up

27.3%
  1. spamal

spamal Member

Hi all,

I'm planning to buy a PPOR (house in Sydney) the next couple of months and have enough deposit saved up for the 80% LVR, including stamp duty etc. However, if I do that then it will practically clean me out with very little buffer remaining. This is my first property that is intended as a stepping stone.

I would like to buy my first IP in Sydney to begin my accumulation, and I believe it is generally better to get in sooner than later, given all the infrastructure plans in the next 20-30 years.

I've compared the 88% LVR vs 80% LVR scenario, and basically, it'd take me 2 years to save up that 8% difference.

I'm thinking it would be worth it in the long run if I bite the bullet, pay the LMI, so I can buy my first IP earlier (also by paying 88% LVR).

Obviously this is a riskier strategy but I think the potential benefits will outweigh the costs and risks.

Has anyone else also been in a similar situation before? Are there any blind spots I haven't considered?

Many thanks for your advice.

2. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I can give you any advice on what to do, but I paid LMI and got 95% LVR loans for my first 4 IPs.
    There's an upside and downside to everything. The upside is that it allowed me to go much faster than I would have been able to do otherwise. The downside is that two of the properties went backwards and I'm still in negative equity for them a decade later.

Do I regret doing it? No, absolutely not! (Though IP #3 & #4 were clearly a mistake, but you live and learn.)

spoon and John_BridgeToBricks like this.
  3. David R Sutantyo

David R Sutantyo Well-Known Member

If you're taking out higher LVR loan, the one taking on more risk is the lender, not the borrower - that's why LMI applies. You're practically getting into the market with little to no money down. It's way riskier to try and gather every dollar you can and leave yourself with no safety net just to make deposit.

4. db9

db9 Well-Known Member

This, 100%!

Once cash flow and cash buffers are sorted then relentlessly chase the best asset for your needs. Good asset selection will further reduce your risk.

5. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

If you default, the lender is protected in that they can claim any loss on the LMI policy. But isn't it then the case that the insurer will come after you for any assets you may have? Asked out of total ignorance.

6. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

I recall a risk manager at a major lender saying the highest arrears rate is around the 80 lvr.......... and I can see why, you are asking the common sense questions. Many credit advisers would say save save save the LMI.....not me.

Risk transfer in the way of LMI means 5 to 8 % of the purchase price held back for a one off premium.......makes good financial sense to me.

ta

rolf

bythebay and John_BridgeToBricks like this.
  7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Me, personally I'd take the risk.

And to quote Rudyard Kipling:

"If you can make one heap of all your winnings
    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
    And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss...Yours is the Earth and everything that’s in it!"

Yes, we studied Kipling at the Druitt High lol.

8. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Do you have to go 88%. What about 85%. Drops in LVR lowers the percentage of LMI premium

LMI on the main residence is not deductible - generally, but if you debt recycle quickly some of it could be.

Other options might be to borrow from someone else to get the LVR to 80% or to arrange a related party loan just in case you need it and then borrow 80% from the bank.

9. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Dont understand why its riskier for you to take the higher lvr. Sure lmi is an additional cost, but its not a risk. It might be if your savings rate is low. Think of it like this. Would buying property be riskier if stamp duty was increased?

the other side of this is what happens if sydney prices rise while you are saving?

a lower lvr loan is not necessarily lower risk for the borrower as you still cant access the equity unless you sell or refinance. So even if you have 20% deposit, theres an argument for taking a higher lvr loan, paying the lmi, and keeping some extra in an offset.

10. spamal

spamal Member

Of course that's an option. However, even the 3% would drop my cash buffer by a lot and would take me 8-10 months to save that amount. The LMI difference is "only" 5K so not sure it's worth the loss in time.

I am exploring debt recycling with my broker and it seems doable. However, I'd be effectively recycling a portion of the home loan which now has LMI included. Is that what you mean or is there a different approach specific to the LMI?

11. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Debt recycling is a tax strategy so best to get someone licensed for the tax side and leave the broker to advise on the loan side. If you borrow to invest and LMI is incurred it may be deductible..

12. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Was Rudyard Kipling a large and successful property investor ?
    I not as old as you so was not around when he started investing :p

datto likes this.
  13. datto

datto Well-Known Member

No, well, there was a dealer in the Druitt who went by the name "Kippo". "Hey, Kippo can I score a quarter on tick again?"

Don't think its the same one.

14. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

Lmi is definitely not a bad thing, see it as an opportunity to get into the market early. If your borrowing capacity allows you to buy 2 or 3 with paying LMi then its definitely an option.

As you mentioned, it takes you around 2 years to save around 8%. The market in Sydney probably moved that much between Feb to May, thus paying up to 2% LMI netted you 6% in weatlh within those months.

Tom87 likes this.
  15. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Using LMI to get back in the market sooner is a very valid strategy, and one I'd highly recommend over having zero buffer.

John_BridgeToBricks likes this.
  16. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

If you are playing in a rising market place then an LMI premium will be swallowed up in a short time of growth.

Also, personally, I would prefer to pay some LMI even if I have the 20% deposit and keep the 8-10% as a buffer in offset, especially if a property investor in order to mitigate any future risks and issues.

17. John_BridgeToBricks

John_BridgeToBricks Buyer's Agent Business Member

Some great comments above. I agree - pay the LMI and get started on your journey. It is very difficult to save yourself into the property market, so LMI is a way to expedite the process.

For what it's worth, I paid LMI to get started, as so many of the large investors have done as well. Have your own buffers in place and do your own diligence based on your own circumstances. However if LMI is the only barrier in place, go for it.

18. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

The rising market will eliminate your "risk" sooner than you think. Plus taking LMI is not a risk. It's a privilege to get in the market early. There are other places (not in Australia) only allow 50% LVR. That's a risk, because while you are saving for the deposit, the market has left you behind. ;)

19. bythebay

bythebay Well-Known Member

Agree with many others I would always take the risk
    Generally speaking I want maximum leverage as early as possible - time in market
    I personally think LMI is a fantastic option for appreciating properties in Sydney

20. Steve90

Steve90 Active Member

Well would you rather potentially.miss out on potential massive gains? Or play it safe and avoid an extra 20k or so on lmi. Loosing 20k won't change your life, missing a property before it booms might.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.