Paying interest on IP Loan

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Frosty123, 27th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Frosty123

Frosty123 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Using equity in my PPOR, a loan was set up with funds drawn down into a new offset account. These funds were used to purchase a new IP.
    After the purchase, I still have some funds left in the offset account. Should I be paying the loan setup for the deposit using the excess funds left over in the offset until it runs out? (i.e increasing the interest payable each month)? Or should I be used the funds in my PPOR Offset account to pay the loan each month?

Thanks

Frosty

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

3. Frosty123

Maybe I haven't explained myself well...
    My loan has been setup in the same way as one of your previous posts:
    Terryw’s Ideal Loan Structure

I had enough equity in my PPOR to create a new loan using the PPOR as security. The funds were drawn down into a new offset account against that loan (not mixed with anything else).
    Those funds in the offset account have been used for the deposit on a new IP. Don't think I've mixed loans :confused: Well I hope not.
    My confusion arises from what happens after using the funds for a deposit. What money should I be using to pay off the loan when it is not being completely offset by the drawn down funds.

Hope that makes sense :)

4. Terry_w

That is better than I first thought. Still not a good idea to do that way, especially with funds left over. Why not use that funds to pay for rates etc on the investment property.

5. Frosty123

I could use them to pay rates, insurance etc. Just not sure how I should be paying the interest on the loan. Am I best to just pay it using cash in my PPOR offset account (where my income goes into)?

6. Terry_w

Yes, don't pay the interest from the borrowed money, but just from the cash.

7. Frosty123

Great thanks! :)
    I must say, your posts are what makes this forum so useful for those learning the ropes. Much appreciated.

Terry_w likes this.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.