Paying back Company loans

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by MBowen, 6th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Yes. Firstly the issue is - Does the company have a distributable surplus in any of those years. A deemed dividend is limit to profit on that basis. Then there is a carve out. If an associate borrows and REPAYS the borrowing prior to the due lodgement date for the return all is forgiven. However there may still be a FBT issue if the rate does not comply with a minimum benchmark rate of interest. ie a zero rate loan may be a concern.

Oral arrangements are a problem. You can buy a online Div 7A agreement for little cost. However understanding it and calculating etc may pose a challenge. Its complex. No two cases are the same. Personal advice a must.

Bayview likes this.
  2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Or is just assessable income !! (That's the ATO view in many a audit) Anything that credits the company account can be income if its not adequately substantiated. (ie proceeds from private sale of a car could be taken to be ordinary company income if the company doesn't borrow it and there is nothing to support the origins etc.

3. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

There has been no distributable surplus in any of those years - hence me putting my own funds back into the business for extra cashflow.

But thanks for the reply, Paul.

I will have a discussion in detail about this with the accountant.

Cheers,

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes, great point Paul