Paying 10% Deposit Before Unconditional Approval

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Samnewman, 19th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Samnewman

Samnewman Member

I applied for a home loan with one of the big 4 banks and received a formal conditional approval letter, after 2 month I found a property and made an offer which was accepted, I paid 0.25% deposit and now in in the cooling off period.

The property isn't registered yet, it may take up to 6 month as per my contract to get it registered, I checked with the bank and they said they have done a valuation report and everything looks fine, however as the property isn't registered yet they can't give me an unconditional approval, I talked to my solicitor about the risk I may have and they mentioned if the bank didn't approve your loan I will loose the 10% deposit which is around the 100K mark.

From my side, I am determined to finalize the purchase but I am also afraid that during the 6 month waiting period, bank policies could have changed which may impact my loan and possibly not being able to get a final approval from the bank.

I am looking for an advise in my scenario, as to what to do in regards to paying the 10% deposit or to back off. The bank told me that it is very common that this process is followed and they haven't heard about a situation when the final approval gets declined.

Thanks in advance.

2. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

This is the risk you take with a long settlement on a new property. There really is very little you can do about it. By law the banks will reassess your eligibility a lot closer to settlement.

The good news is with the pre-approval you know that you'd qualify for the loan right now. What you need to do between now and the settlement is ensure that your financial circumstances either stay the same or improve.

CantHurtMeGoggins and Samnewman like this.
  3. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Do you have extra deposit if the val comes in low?

4. Samnewman

Samnewman Member

Yes I do, aprox 10% of the property value

5. Trainee

after you pay this 10%? So you have a total of 200k?

6. Samnewman

Samnewman Member

Yes that's correct

7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Legal advice on the contract terms wise. In 2 years you could be asking what happens when the property isnt settled as the builder has collapsed. Where is my deposit etc

8. Samnewman

Samnewman Member

Thanks for your prompt response, is it common to request a subject to finance clause?

9. Trainee

No otp seller would be crazy enough to accept a subject to finance at settlement.

10. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Nobody is going to agree to a finance clause that would cover you in this case.

The best you can do is to talk to your broker or banker who helped with the pre-approval to assess what the risk really is, and to save as much as you can between now and settlement. There's a good chance that the actual risk is negligible.

11. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Can I just clarify it is a solicitor, not a conveyancer right?

The Y-man

12. Samnewman

Samnewman Member

Correct, a solicitor.

13. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Ok cool. Sometimes we get people here who had a conveyancer go through their contract and ran into issues later where the property ran late, or if they had to pull out they had to pay additional fees to remarket etc etc.

The Y-man

14. Tony Xia

Tony Xia Structured Loan Advisor Business Member

That's the risk you take when purchasing OTP or land.

Change in policy, employment and market conditions that may affect the valuation is the risk many people takes on.

Samnewman likes this.