PAYG Variation - NRAS

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by smallbuyer, 21st May, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. smallbuyer

smallbuyer Well-Known Member

Hello,

Does anyone know how you enter your NRAS credit for the PAYG variation now. Seems they have changed the system?

Cheers

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

NRAS credits have never been a consideration in the witholding calculaltions. It only applies to WITHHOLDING. These credits are available after March 2022.

NRAS credits may not be given for example. Many NRAS projects are now starting to lose entitlement so advance claiming is a risk.

3. smallbuyer

Thanks for your reply Paul but I have doing this for a number of years and paying no PAYG withholding based on the NRAS credits. Have talked to the ATO about it when they queried and it was no issue. You do need to explain what NRAS in to most ATO staff though. I know when my NRAS time is up so i only intent to put them in until the end of their life. Their is always a slight chance of NRAS getting rejected for a particular year but its unlikely and not something one would anticipate.
    All I want to know is where to put them in the new form via MyGov.
    Cheers

4. Paul@PAS

There has not been a field in the old process to enter tax credits arising from NRAS etc. Or franking credits as an example. These are matters that dont influence tax on withholding which only losses for example can do. Even if a refund could be due. That refund element is only available on lodgement. A variation is not intended to produce a pre-estimate of a taxpayer complete tax position. eg withholding can vary to $0 or 0%

I suppose you could engineer a outcome by including a gross up of the value of NRAS credits as a other property deduction and explain in comments. ie "Value of NRAS tax credits" so you may enter a $8K NRAS credit as say a $15094 other deduction (based on $8k/.53%) based on a top marginal rate of 47% as an example. You may find ATO call to discuss.

Note too that once the net income is low enough it wont matter whether there is a NRAS credit included in full. The lowest variation is $0.

Then that may bring witholding to $0.

Last edited: 21st May, 2021
  5. smallbuyer

Its a tax offset, if the amount of your tax offset exceeds the estimated tax payable it should vary you to 0. That's what ATO said it do which i did and it has worked fine.

Looking further at the Mygov one it looks like want a heap of information like every rental property address, date you purchased it, date of construction etc They have most of this in the annual tax return but is any imported into this?

Its it possible to use the old method still or is that gone?

6. Vassago

Vassago Well-Known Member

Also been doing it for a number of years (atleast 5 years) no issues. Sometimes I get a call and they say I put it in the wrong box.

7. Paul@PAS

The ATO have decommissioned the VERY OLD script based lodgement. Once the new process is used it may be possible prior year data will prefill in the future so a simple "have any of you properties changed?" question will occur. This was a feature of the old form. The property and date and ownership information is available in a copy of the 2021 variation and also your 2020 tax return.

This new form reflects the ATO adopting a property database that is tied to actual titles.

8. smallbuyer

The new system seems to be very painful as well. Doesnt carry your details over from the previous year. Very annoying to enter employment and houses etc again :( especially when you enter them and it doesn't save. Also a bit vague about where the NRAS goes

9. Paul@PAS

The ATO replaced the variation which was decades old and only used a unsupported browser. The details are required the first time. Thereaftre its actually much easier.

A tax return and variation are different matters. One projects a forward estimate and the other reports past actual expneses and income. . A variation may reflect change property use, new acquisitions or even disposals.

smallbuyer likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia