Pay off Mortgage Vs Personal Super Contributions

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by William Oor, 1st Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. William Oor

William Oor Active Member

Interested to hear thoughts on strategy explained in this video

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'd be inclined to agree *

Sounds like the Noom of finance "...you are conditioned to pay off your mortgage..."

* subject to T&C

- Mortgage repayments aren't optional if you have a loan (doesn't matter if it's P&I or IO, you still need to meet the minimum obligation)
    - The same applies to rent (if there's no loan), you still need a roof over your head
    - This leaves less income to salary sacrifice & to contribute to super.

Last edited: 1st Jan, 2022
    William Oor likes this.
  3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

What happens where interest rates rise and we are now stuck with a higher rate cost which compounds over time ?

For many, and active debt recycle strategy may provide a better outcome - higher risk though if markets tank.

ta
    rolf

William Oor likes this.
  4. William Oor

William Oor Active Member

Fair point Rolf.
    I guess the strategy relies on timing, and assumption that super will perform better than the interest rates.

He did mention that the strategy is recommended for mid 50 year Olds (which I am).

So my thoughts are, pay mortgage at required repayments Vs overpaying mortgage.

I can access super at 60y (according to "preservation age" Withdrawing and using your super

At that point if interest rates on home are up, pay into / off mortgage.

5. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

I would agree with this guy, especially when it comes to the example provided. $350K in debt and 34% marginal rate. It is almost a no brainer to me which way to go. Super is a great vehicle for wealth. Good funds (Australiansuper and similar) returned 24%+ on growth portfolio last FY. Couple that with the tax benefits and its very hard to argue against his point.

One thing to consider is that people tend to have irrational stress associated with debt. So if paying debt helps people sleep at night at the expense of much better return in super, then so be it.

William Oor likes this.
  6. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

It really is a balancing act between having a buffer to the mortgage to cover misfortune and maximising returns that will not be accessible for many years. My own thoughts are to build up a buffer of about 12 months living expenses in an offset and then increase super contributions to ensure you reach the pension cap (currently $1.7M but will increase over time). Each year reconsider the split between mortgage over payment and super contributions.

William Oor likes this.