Pavers vs Concrete driveway or other?

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Moist, 24th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Moist

Moist Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I'm looking to finish up some landscaping on a new build and want to save as much on costs as I can. I'm wondering what might be the cheapest option for the driveway and pathway to front door and around the house?

I was considering gravel at first, but someone said it wouldn't work well on such a slope. I am now considering laying pavers myself for the driveway and pathway, but am debating how much I would save on labour by doing it myself, and if it is easy enough to do a reasonable job, me being an amateur relying on youtube videos.....lol

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

I DIY bathrooms, kitchens, flooring, tiling and most repairs.

I would never attempt paving a driveway, that's similar to pouring the slab for your house without being a concreter - it will only end in tears.

Look at some of the posts on here regarding paver driveways done by professionals, all disasters.

3. Moist

Moist Well-Known Member

How hard could it be?

4. Tim & Chrissy

You don't seem to have a full appreciation of the engineering involved. What previous DIY experience do you have? Have you laid pavers before?

What extra will you do to ensure the driveway can handle the weight of vehicles day in day out compared to the pathway which is just for foot traffic?

Have you searched the forums yet to see what can go wrong even when a professional paver does the job?

WestOz likes this.
  5. magpieseason

magpieseason Well-Known Member

A drive with that slope is not easy. It is doable if you can handle a level and string lines.

First up you would need a bobcat to excavate to correct levels. Basically 200 ml cut at the curb and then consistent slope up to garage.

Maybe start with a path or patio area before jumping into the drive.

Last edited: 24th Jan, 2016
  6. SK Investments

SK Investments Well-Known Member

Wherever the wind takes me, currently Brisbane
    I would just get a few quotes and do a concrete drive for that slope. It will save you more in the long run.

If it were flatter there are some cheaper compacted crushed rock options.

EN710 likes this.
  7. Laker

Laker Well-Known Member

I would just concrete it. I have done DIY pathway paving in the past, but that driveway would be a nightmare. Maybe concrete the drive and pave the paths. But I would probably think it would be so much easier and not that much more expensive to just concrete the whole lot.

WestOz likes this.
  8. Tim & Chrissy

9. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Concrete. I love the result.

Phantom likes this.
  10. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Diy would be false economy on that slope. That really does need concrete or professional layer but I would do concrete and get quote on other areas too as it might not be much more.

Use your time on landscaping and inside things like painting.

WestOz and Tim & Chrissy like this.
  11. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

I agree with the comments above, it's natural to look at something and think "I could do that" but with this kinda job you're better off utilising "experience".
    As @Westminster said save some coin doing painting, landscaping etc etc etc, LOTS of other jobs to get done.

If you'd said "Help I'm broke what can I do" and it's a PPOR, I would have suggested mulching it all for now (not the garage) and use 2x2 slabs for pathways etc, but it would quickly look like shiet.
    Pavers are a pain in the ......., go concrete.

An option, do it on a weekend, track down/employ a couple of guys (concreters) that normally work for someone else during the week.
    You pay for all materials and pay them cash per mtr. You labour for them, help with formwork/leveling, push a wheelbarrow, wash/clean up tools etc etc, leave them to spread/screed etc.

However your job there will require min 4 people, 2 on barrows, 2 screeding/finishing etc, (6 would be ideal), gotta be on the go tho, no slacking off, complaining how tough it is etc, they get the shiets real quick if you're not keeping the mud up to them, the trucks can't just dump it where it's needed and are on the clock, don't want him standing there waiting for the next barrow to fill, gotta run uphill with a full barrow of wet slushy product without losing it, dump it in the right place without splattering it all over the place including them.

Very Physically demanding Hard work! if not used to it better off paying labourers that are.

Moist and Tim & Chrissy like this.
  12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Have someone else do it ;)

Sackie, WestOz and Tim & Chrissy like this.
  13. Tim & Chrissy

This also depends on what the OP means by 'cheapest'

If I was considering DIYing this job I would be thinking do I want to spend $3000 and my DIY paver driveway will last 2 weeks - 2 years or do I want to spend $10,000 and my professionally laid concrete driveway will last 20 - 25 years.

Westminster and WestOz like this.
  14. Moist

Moist Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I'll take everyone's advice and source some professionals.....

I think I'm just too much of a tight arse sometimes :(

EN710 and Tim & Chrissy like this.
  15. Moist

Moist Well-Known Member

Thanks.

How would one track down concreters without actually contacting a concreting company and liaising with the director if you could labor for them?

16. Tim & Chrissy

Good choice, I'm all for DIY but there are just some jobs that you shouldn't attempt without prior experience working with a professional.

Not sure if you have considered bitumen but will cost you a few thousand less than concrete, the downside is that it won't have the longevity of concrete.

17. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A properly designed asphaltic concrete driveway still requires 200 -300mm compacted roadbase, otherwise it'll heave and fail.

18. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Concrete over pavers.
    Concrete can take the weight of heavier vehicles.

19. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Check gumtree in your local area, guys chasing extra work/cashies advertise on there.
    Drop in to the local batch plant (where the guys order the trucks/mix from) and ask if they can recommend a few people.
    If you see any concreting going on in your local area go up and say g'day, tell-em what you're after. Even builders and other tradies may recomend someone they know.
    Go to the Pub most arvos, espec Friday, look for the guys with dried cement all over them, some maybe brickies but they'll point you to Davo (etc) over there playing pool etc.

Dress down, as in don't look or sound like some yuppy being a tight-ass. Only ladies can get away with that.

Would help if you work out a rough square meterage and let-em know when discussing it, show-em a few pics front & back, side access, if they're interested they'll come out and have a proper look.

EN710, Moist and Westminster like this.
  20. Moist

Moist Well-Known Member

Thanks alot West! and will do. Btw what exactly/ how much am I cutting out in terms of cost by paying them per sqm?

Would concreting companies charge a margin on truck/equipment hire, and materials etc?

I'm assuming a concreting company has advertising, admin work to cover? Probably wouldn't be that much though, would it?