Pavers on cracked concrete?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by RedHat, 10th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. RedHat

RedHat Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Seeking some guidance here. I'm planning to put some pavers on existing concrete in my backyard. Concrete is old and has fair few cracks here and there although its stable and not coming out while walking on it. I asked for some quotes from tradies and they gave mixed opinions. Some said I need to re-concrete and then put pavers on top while others said its ok to put pavers directly on top of existing concrete.
    This is own home for living so want to get it done properly. Is this doable? Missus really waants bluestone pavers so just re-concreting wont be enough:( See some photos

upload_2019-6-10_18-51-38.png

upload_2019-6-10_18-52-0.png

2. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'd be more concerned about the long crack 6" from the wall. It doesn't look like the concretor installed a bond breaker/expansion joint against the wall.

A half measure would be saw-cut the slab about 600-750 from the wall and remove that section. Lay new concrete with an expansion joint against the wall, possibly also dowel into the remaining slab.

Lay your selected finishes on-top.

4. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

The best would be to remove, especially since it is your place and if you plan to stay there long why not do a proper job and re-concrete.
    In addition I see 4 different patterns, cracked concrete, concrete steps, stencils, and stone concrete next to pool, why wouldn't you place pavers all over for consistency and ambience instead?
    We did this when we renovated our pool in our PPOR and also replaced to glass pool fence, used travertine pavers (great - not too hot or cold) in French Pattern for smaller spaces.
    However this is much bigger job and it really depends whether your property would or would not be over capitalized by such renovation. Only you would know...?
    The cockatoos now come and love to drink the water too:)
    IMG_4065.jpg

HUGH72 and Pumpkin like this.
  5. RedHat

RedHat Well-Known Member

Thanks but resurfacing wont hide those cracks.

Yeah I'm now leaning towards getting the whole floor re-concreted. Its a 55 year old house so not sure if the previous floks paid much heed to bond breakers and using steel mesh.

Yes in the first round will get new concrete and may be then plan to add travertine(looks million bucks but expensive.
    My place also gets lots of Cockatoos and lorikeets..but they are such a pain with their screeching noise specially in the mornings and; their dropping..such a mess to clean
    Awesome pool and view btw:)

Last edited: 11th Jun, 2019
  6. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

No idea what the underlying issue is that caused the cracks.

Having seen extensive concrete repairs at work. I would guess those cracks can be patched before re-coating.

A lot less effort than removing and replacing all that concrete. It's only a walkway not a heavy load area.

7. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

Make sure you don't raise the height to much with pavers as the pool fence wont meet the standard.

Council have been through our street last week inspecting everyone's pool, the 3 neighbours I spoke to all had at least 4 items to fix within a 6 week timeframe.

Stoffo and Scott No Mates like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia