Patio after completion - allowable under WA R-Codes?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by LifesGood, 27th Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I am in the process of finalising my new home design. Currently I cannot build include an alfresco under the main roof because my outdoor living area only meets the minimum requirement and two thirds of this outdoor area needs to be "uncovered".

I was wondering, if I were to apply to install a simple colorbond patio after the completion of the home, would the City of Stirling still insist on complying with the r-codes as mentioned above?

Thank you!

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I have seen numerous examples of this in the city of Stirling where a covered pergola has been added afterwards which covers way more than allowed

However I don't know if they got permission lol.

Have you considered having a partly unroofed section of a pergola with frame only that you could add roofing onto later? Just tell council you are putting a deciduous creeper on that section :p

Jess Peletier likes this.
  3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Can't you tack on the pergola after building under "exempt " work. I'm not sure what is called in wa, Under xm2 doesn't require a DA.
    Wait till main build complete and signed off then... you have an after thought and build a pergola :)

Edit. Nope won't work. Forgot your overall areas are over already.
    As Nike says... Just do it! If your there long term build it then if its an issue down the track remove it, or build it so that you can remove a couple of sheets and posts to meet the code

Last edited: 27th Dec, 2015