Password security

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Oats, 6th Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Oats

Oats Well-Known Member

With all the bank accounts and to a lesser degree, all other online accounts that people have these days, how does everyone keep track of all these different passwords while retaining their security?

Im in the process of bulking up my security and I’m finding it very difficult to set different passwords for everything whilst securely remembering them all and which one for which.

2. Bwinny

Bwinny Well-Known Member

I started using 1Password for this exact reason late last year!

highly recommend as it is well regarded, generates unique passwords and has good reviews.

you can get free type versions of password vaults but in my belief, a lot of the time “nothing is ever free” just my opinion and probably scepticism?

strannik likes this.
  3. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Maybe you're approaching passwords the wrong way..... there are many systems you can use to make it simpler to remember but harder to crack.

Pass-phrases coupled with a logical to you structure / sequence that inserts a logic "key" for instance. The key might be a number or acronym or could be the logic sequence used to deconstruct password into parts with same logic but different values used for different passwords....

4. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

I had to do this recently. Was becoming a real problem with passwords being reused (danger). This is what I did - no doubt there are security nerds that have better solutions

I went with LastPass with 2 factor authentication (2FA …not sms). Turn 2FA on wherever you can. Google or Microsoft authenticators do the job. It’s a big step forward in security for minimal hassle.

You’ll only need to remember a few passwords or less then…I don’t keep financial and my email password on LastPass. Some people will just need to remember the master password.

Sackie and inertia like this.
  5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I used to re-use passwords for some websites, thinking they were not important. I hadn't realised at the time how risky this was, thinking they could only get into sites that aren't a big deal.

But I went through, deleted many accounts I don't need, and accepted the strong password generated by the site for many others. My banking is my own made up password.

Are these "strong passwords" offered by the site itself safe? I then accept for my phone and my Mac to be updated so I don't have to write them down because both my phone and Mac are password protected. Someone breaking into my house and trying to get into my Mac or someone stealing my phone are unable to get in.

If this isn't safe enough, I'd go with 1Password but my concern is what happens if I forget the password to get into it.

7. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I highly recommend 1Password

You can create an "emergency kit" which you print out and store in a safe place.

Get to know your Emergency Kit | 1Password

8. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Post it notes stuck onto the monitor.

Propin and Oats like this.
  9. geoffw

What's a monitor?

Post it notes on a phone screen don't work very well.

10. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Sorry for the confusion. A screen monitor.

[​IMG]

Not the reptile. lol Hmmm food!

[​IMG]

I mean the PC screen monitor.

inertia likes this.
  11. geoffw

Property Chat monitors are k ow as mods.

datto likes this.
  12. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

Does 1password cope with accessing same eg bank login by two users on different devices?

13. Simon Hampel

Yes, 1Password Family edition is designed for multiple users with shared passwords - The best family password manager | 1Password

You can have personal vaults for passwords that are for you only, and shared vaults for passwords where multiple family members can access them.

Terry_w likes this.
  14. Millie

Millie Well-Known Member

Thanks.

15. wylie

While I could choose 1Password, I'm interested to know whether the strong passwords offered by many websites are actually safe?

16. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    1 password is great.

If you are on the Apple ecosystem you can use their built-in equivalent Keychain

Although I still prefer 1 password.

Terry_w likes this.
  17. Baker

Baker Well-Known Member

I use one of the aforementioned password managers, and I like that it works across my laptop and phone.

I am in the process of removing all the prefilled ones from my web browser.

18. wylie

I'm using a Mac so I guess that means I'm on the Apple ecosystem?

19. Simon Hampel

They are typically just randomly generated strings - which is far better than using common words or simple passwords. Even though it is probably safe to use them - I still prefer to use my own.

I make heavy use of 1Password's random password generator.

The whole point is that I generate random passwords for every site or application I need a password for and store them all in 1Password. I really could not tell you what any of my passwords are - they are all random and never used more than once.

wylie likes this.
  20. Graeme

Graeme Well-Known Member

I'm using Microsoft Authenticator on my Android phone and Edge as my browser. But I'm running a Windows 11 PC as my main machine and make heavy use of Office, so I'm tied into their ecosystem.

I had my phone set up to use Authenticator to be the password manager, but Chrome isn't playing nicely with it at the moment. I need to fix it.

Before that I used the Chrome password manager on my phone and PC, along with Google Authenticator or Authy.

I think that most of these password managers are much of a muchness. Authenticator is free and I'm a cheapskate. :p

But I am going to try Datto's suggestion of sticking Post-It notes onto a Monitor lizard. :D