Partners that dislike properties

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Beano, 5th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

In my travels i have meet a surprising number of couples (incl myself) that one likes properties/investments and one does not.
    I now wonder if both enjoy the purchase of properties whether the portfolio would be substantially larger and a lot more successful. ....
    Comments ???

2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Depends on their income

3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

The ones who 'don't like' investing simply do not understand the reality of what they are doing by not doing . I have heard from many, many people in their 50s and 60s who regret not doing a lot more when they were younger and had the ability to.

Personally I tend to believe that if the other partner is not so much interested but completely supports the interested party then all is good. It's when they actively oppose the investing party to keep investing where things can go downhill fast and creating wealth becomes limited. I've heard similar from a handful of ppl in this situation over the years.

Eric Wu, Hwangers, Blueskies and 2 others like this.
  4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Well I bet they like the benefits if it is working well.

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Partners 'not liking properties' could be related to a number of things:

- Stress of living with a lot of financial risk (concerns about what happens to the family if it all goes wrong)

- IP-loving partner giving more attention and quality time to 'the deal' rather than the family.

- Differences in value about money and it's place in life.

- IP-loving partner putting their own preferences first because that is the only way they see to gain money ('But I'm doing it for you' - doesn't really cut it if there is no genuine communication and agreement)

- Spending habits and other money issues are a really common cause of conflict in couples and families so I'm not surprised when couples disagree.

6. MondeoMan

MondeoMan Well-Known Member

I am going through this now, have a little bit of money $150,000 - $ 180,000, wife wants to pay it off our mortgage which would halve it. I would like to use it to split as deposits on 2 or 3 investment properties... Compromise might be one..... but then she wants to put a lot in to make sure its cash flow positive as its not a drain on our income..

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Compromise is the winner - pay down the non-deductible debt (she wins), redraw it as a separate loan/s for the IPs (deductible debt/you win).

8. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Hmmm my partner makes more money than I do and she is risk adverse. I think if she had the investing mentality, the sky is the limit! I do appreciate that time is the greatest gift you can give anyone, so if it means scaling back and spending quality time, it's so important.

9. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Jeez @Leo2413 looking fighting fit in that profile pic of yours above, your new years' gym resolution is achieving rapid results ! Posting below so others can see as I know you change your profile pic often.

Leo.JPG

Sackie likes this.
  10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

This is what I want to do but my partner won't let me!!!! Grrrrr.....

11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

heheh the steroids recommended at the gym did the trick.. :p

SOULFLY3 likes this.
  12. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

My wife likes looking at and "picking" houses with me. She doesn't want anything to do with the house after that, so I don't know where that fits into the the spectrum or (dis)like of properties.

13. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

And I think that looks like Causeway Bay (Tongluo Wan) in Hong Kong. Is that right @Leo2413 ?

Last edited: 5th Jan, 2017
  14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Spot on.

15. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

Yep!. When we started my husband was not interested at all. He just signed the papers. When I wanted to buy a nicotine ridden very rundown house that we would renovate (he's quite handy) he was instantly interested. He drew up a reno cost analysis and we bought it and did a full 5 week reno. We found a good way to increase equity fast (I'm happy) and he likes doing reno's (he's happy). We kept doing that. He even looked on the net for a house to reno once.
    After we had a little collection I would have been happy to buy more but he said I was "going crazy" buying houses so we stopped. It's hard having to make all the decisions yourself but I was lucky that he let me take control.
    I do all the paperwork, and organise loan changes, keep tabs on accounts, contact agents etc.
    He does any breakdowns on the Sydney ones.
    We had an argument once because he complained about why he ALWAYS has to do it (when he had to fix a leaking tap), saying it was "your idea to buy the stupid properties".
    I explained to him that driving to a property once every 6-12 months was nothing compared to my weekly paperwork.
    I then explained that I was happy for him to sign the "stupid houses" over to me so I could take the million dollars and retire and he could go on the pension.
    He wasn't complaining when he was able to retire at 60 (3 years ago). I just retired last year at 58. We didn't start until 8 years ago.

Ben_j, S.T, MorganHB and 12 others like this.
  16. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

If your spouse does not agree it does not happen.

The starting point here is to determine what you want your retirement goals to be. If you cannot agree on that you will not agree on other financial investments.

17. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Or it happens but it happens slower. Which could mean you make more sound investments/less frivolous ones as you need to be more careful in purchases. At the same time you can lose great opportunities. I know this....

Ross Forrester likes this.
  18. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

It works both ways....

I wanted to buy a few IPs earlier. My partner said no way.

All those ips would have been duds.

We ended up waiting and getting something much better for the same money.

Sometimes the risk averse partner can help avoid mistakes.

19. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

I
    I don't think you will ever live that one down.

20. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Ha! Nope! And boy am I happy about that. :)

Perthguy likes this.