Partner is slowing me down!

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Inov8ive, 2nd Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Sometimes it can be beneficial to have slightly different opinions as this leads you to more carefully assess your own decisions. Two high risk takers is more likely to end badly IMO.
    Enthusiasm and drive mixed with caution and careful analysis is the perfect mix.

2. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Are there are any other barriers stopping her? E.g Planning on having kids.

3. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

Thats actually a very good point, and for some reason hadnt thought of it like that. I suppose its all very frustrating because of the way the Sydney market has gone, and what we 'could of had'. If things have had gone the other way I would be praising her and nobody really knows for sure what the market will do. I like this comment :)

The Falcon likes this.
  4. Inov8ive

Yeah there has been actually. First it was the whole engagement party, ring, wedding, honeymoon thing that cost a bomb and definitely slowed the old investment train down. Then bub came along. I suppose I thought after all this, we would be steaming ahead with investments but it hasnt been the case. But I am happy with everything that I have and I have no regrets really, but I suppose I feel like the barriers should be removed now. Still, wifey just wanting to nest and be stress free- which i do understand, but I just want to the opposite.

Esh and ellejay like this.
  5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I would sit down and find out what the actual fears are (and you need to have valid risk mitigation strategies).

eg.
    Tenant Trashes property
    No tenant/Prolonged vacancy
    Property price crash
    Bank calls in loan
    Loss of job(s)
    Loss of income / higher cost due to injury/illness
    Interest rate hike
    Irradiating nuclear damage, civil unrest or other items sometimes not covered by insurance occurs
    Earthquake
    Cyclone
    Alien Invasion (sorry, I had to put this in, as no matter who we do a DRP/BCP risk identificaiton brainstorm with, this one just has to come up)

The Y-man

Inov8ive and bob shovel like this.
  6. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@Inov8ive

i was in same situation when we started in to IP journey. Couple of successful venture bringing back few hundred K certainly helped easing a situation!

Inov8ive and Gockie like this.
  7. Gingin

Gingin Well-Known Member

Friend of mine bought a investment house in Rosebery nsw in 2012 whilst engaged and didn't tell his partner until after settlement, due to her being absolutely against debt.

Pretty much doubled since. Now she is so pleased he did

Esh and Inov8ive like this.
  8. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

I used to have this mindset, but then I read a book that totally turned my thinking around, "Rich Dad Poor Dad" by R. Kiyosaki, perhaps gently ask for her to have a read with an open mind.

Gockie and Inov8ive like this.
  9. Inov8ive

Yeah I have tried to get her to read Kiyosaki among others (best book ever), but she just really has no interest at all. She is a dance/drama teacher and is much more artistically interested than she is financially interested.

10. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Not sure this is a good thing. What if the purchased tanked.

11. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

well dont go forcing it onto her. its ok you have different interests @HUGH72 raised a good point - you can compliment each other. (she'll be dancing when you hit the big time!) just keep her informed what your plans are and the expected outcomes, plus any risks. set a time to sit down and go through it before you start signing stuff, id say she'll find it painful but it needs to be done, then hopefully after the chat your both happy to carry on.
    dont bother forcing her to meetings or to sign up here, let her make her own decisions. my wife thinks im having an affir chatting away here and getting skype messages popping away! we just sit down every now and then and have a chat with plans. she loves long term planning so she throws in "buy IP 2016" etc so its on her radar now

Inov8ive likes this.
  12. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Then the friend need to handle all the monetary loss, not the now wife ;)
    And I think if you ever need to make big decision that affect your partner without telling him/ her, better be darn sure it's a good one.

Chilliblue likes this.
  13. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Is it actually a debt fear factor or a "you aren't around" factor?

I'm quite hands on the planning piece and i constantly check on the properties during the renovation stage, so even when I'm home, my mind is elsewhere.

This is why my wife made me promise that I wouldn't buy ANY property when my daughter was born. At the time I still had serviceability (even with her on mat leave) and equity and Sydney prices were only starting to take off.

Could easily be $500k better off (equity wise) given what Sydney has done, but none that would have mattered if she felt I wasn't supporting her.

I'd rather be $500k worse off financially and happy, than $500k better off and lonely.

2FAST4U and Inov8ive like this.
  14. citystar

citystar Well-Known Member

I gave the misses a choice: we work until we are 70 years old and struggle living off superannuation or we can sacrifice non-essentials now and retire early with a very comfortable lifestyle in the future. No problems after that.

KayTea, juzzy and Inov8ive like this.
  15. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Seems open to logic :)

juzzy likes this.
  16. KDP

KDP Well-Known Member

There should be an attitude to investment property criteria in Tinder.

hobo, drg86 and Gingin like this.
  17. drg86

drg86 Well-Known Member

Did you have any IP's before you met your wife? Or have you bought those 4 IP's together?

I am in negotiations with my GF about investing. She has been pretty good so far but I can see she is much more cautious than me. I have 3 properties and she has 1 so at least she is in the game. We are talking of her moving in and renting out her PPOR. Once this happens she will have the serviceability to get another one so that is our (my) next goal ;) I made it very clear to her that I am very financially minded and want to set us up early in our life, she hasn't left so she must be cool with that :cool:

Esh likes this.
  18. Esh

Esh Well-Known Member

I think it may help if you took her to a seminar or something positive to do with wealth and real estate.

I like the idea:

Its a good way to sit down and talk and just look at the bigger picture

19. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

If you've got some cash or made some gains recently why don't you stop to smell the roses so to speak? Go on a holiday, but some new furniture or something like that. Make it known that this is possible due to property investing. If the benefits become tangible rather than an imaginary figure on paper it might help get her on board. Could be money enjoyed and an investment at the same time.

20. Inov8ive

No we didn't have any before we met, we pretty much have done everything together. Looks like you guys are on the same page which is awesome :)