Partial underpinning brick apartments - ideal?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Howler, 12th Aug, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Howler

Howler Active Member

I am interested in a property (old brick apartment) where it has since been made clear the building is subsiding on one side. The soil is the "reactive" / clay type. Partial underpinning has been proposed, quoted and invoiced but not yet completed.

Some advice I have been given is that 'it's better to buy a property to know where they have corrected the issue rather than run into problems down the track'.

However, I am a bit skeptical as to why partial underpinning rather than full underpinning is being completed, other than to save costs???

As a skeptic I would assume if you make one side stronger than the other, if not now, in the future, aren't you creating a potential uneven foundation???

There are some stormwater overflow/flooding issues from the neighboring property which were identified as contributing. There is also proposed drainage system, which is being proposed after the underpinning is completed.... Shouldn't they be treating the cause rather than the symptom first as well??

Apart from the negatives the property ticks all my boxes (otherwise I would've walked already) and has a fairly high owner occupier rate who seem motivated to solve the issue.... Should I run away or treat it as a potential property where the issues are being ironed out?

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

What does YOUR structural engineer suggest is the correct approach ? Buying a property with a known defect that has been correctly repaired could be a benefit v other buyers who fear the issue. But a substandard repair could be a costly problem. Dont reply on the reports the vendor has provided.

3. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Always deal with the water issue and allow the area to return to normal moisture content before underpinning. This can take several months.

4. Howler

Howler Active Member

I don't have a structural engineer at this stage... I haven't signed any contract or engaged anyone's official help - just going off body corp records and a phone chat to the engineer who proposed the work.

Thanks Mark F. Should the drainage work/fix be in place before underpinning, or is it acceptable to complete after the area has dried out / underpinning done first?

5. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

I would expect, without knowing any of your specifics, that the drainage work needs to be done and then the site can dry out to some sort of equilibrium. The underpinning happens then.

Optimus likes this.
  6. Howler

Howler Active Member

Thank you, much appreciated. In general, your logic makes more sense than what is happening!

If it is indeed the reverse logic, I'll see if I can find out more information to justify why they are treating the underpinning first.

7. Howler

Howler Active Member

I have since gained an opportunity on a different property without the subsequent risks - so I've left the other to someone else to take the risk...

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.