Parramatta* is the centre of Sydney...

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Gockie, 6th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Here is an alternative view..as Sydney cools and assuming employment remains steady especially salaries, then inner Sydney will become more attractive than say far flung Western suburbs. Isn't that then the place to be ( investment) and not Parramatta and surrounds?

2. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Inner/Eastern Sydney houses are too expensive for the majority. But Parramatta is more or less the population centre of Sydney plus the transport is still decent. Parramatta is just about right. Not cheap, but also not over the top expensive compared to the East. Good transport. Good amenities. Good infrastructure. Can't complain. Not too far west, not too far north or south either. Smack bang in the middle, most Sydneysiders can get there within say 40 minutes or an hour. (I suppose the Northern Beaches people or people over in the "Shire" will say it's far away, but perhaps they are more isolated).

Last edited: 18th Oct, 2017
  3. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Even Parramatta is way too expensive for most people. You can't compare it to the eastern suburbs - that's like winning the lottery territory (and it'd have to be a decent jackpot at that :p )

4. eletronic_exp0430

eletronic_exp0430 Well-Known Member

Have you been to Parramatta? Contrary to the views of people 10-15 years ago it is a thriving suburb. Biggest Westfields I believe in the entire of Sydney and you got Westmead Hospital which has the best Children's hospital in Sydney.

Parramatta is a good place to be now. I love it actually was there today ate at an awesome restaurant and done some shopping. Church St mall and the restaurants there are awesome now as well. Had an awesome pale ale at the Bavarian after lunch.

krispy likes this.
  5. Gockie

Macquarie Centre is apparently bigger than Parramatta Westfield according to a Wikipedia page. But Parramatta has a lot of street shopping too. I personally really like Parramatta and there's a new bike path between Parramatta and Meadowbank. The council is very good, doing a lot for its residents. It's not a backwater.

eletronic_exp0430 likes this.
  6. eletronic_exp0430

eletronic_exp0430 Well-Known Member

Yep - I also got a numerous letters from council the entire of auto alley is going to go and make room for shops, 5 star hotels and more residential. ( I own a few units right next to Westfields so they inform all the owners of plans around the area and there is also a public meeting on very soon to discuss the upcoming projects)

Parra is growing at a huge rate probably the fastest out of all Sydney suburbs by far.

Gockie likes this.
  7. Gockie

Page 27 of SMH news review for the Easter weekend (31 March to 1 April).
    20180331_142502.jpg
    Of course, everything takes time to get built.... however in this image, Strathfield has been completely de-emphasised, and the metro Sydney transport plans appears to centre on Parramatta.

I'd support the ideas. Kogarah to Parramatta via Bankstown. Ditto Parramatta to Epping, Parramatta to Liverpool and Parramatta to Hills. Good to shift north-south bound commuters away from the city when they don't need to be there. For example, workers going between Chatswood and Parramatta currently have to go via the city, and Chatswood to the city and Parramatta to the city trains are always crowded in the mornings. Also I used to attend evening Aerial arts classes in Canterbury and to get home from there, I'd have to take a train going east to Redfern and then another home back out west in order to go north. Such a pain and a real disincentive to attend classes.

Having these cross city links can only help employment and business options for everybody who has access to the network in Sydney.

Last edited: 31st Mar, 2018
    Noobieboy and lamecrocs like this.
  8. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Cycled along the river from Parramatta Park to Putney yesterday. Very impressed by the clean up of the river banks at Parramatta. Years since I’ve looked but was once an eyesore. Lots of development going.

teg499 likes this.
  9. Gockie

Good stuff... I Unicycled around Parramatta Park yesterday afternoon. 20 minutes => about 10km per hour :D

The Parramatta - Meadowbank track is so nice to ride though. Glad they finished it.

10. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

I think , it us great because we are looking somewhere around Parra (Carlingford etc)

11. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Impressive.

Might I ask if the "Juggling Chainsaw" noise at the same location was from you?

12. Gockie

I need to learn to juggle now..... Seems like my brother in laws can do it to some extent....

Ted Varrick likes this.
  13. krispy

krispy Well-Known Member

I sometimes see a man on a unicycle on the bridge next to the Parramatta Park entrance on my school run. I am always impressed with his skill.