Parramatta Council - Tree Removal

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Blue Cat, 31st Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Blue Cat

Blue Cat Member

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone can share their experiences of dealing with Parramatta Council for removal of large trees on their property?

My parents are currently landscaping their backyard/pool area and are hoping to remove a large gum tree overhanging their pool. The tree looks unhealthy and drops a lot of large branches into the pool and their neighbours' roof. They live in Carlingford and were previously under Hills Shire Council, now rezoned to Parramatta Council.

I've read stuff online about not enough trees in the Parramatta LGA, does this mean the council will not approve applications for tree removal?

2. Joan

Joan New Member

Wondering whether you found out whether Parramatta council will approve the removal. I am also new to the Parramatta Council.being in North Rocks. New neighbours moved in Friday and had tree removalists in to remove tree and hedges on the Saturday. Is there any way I can find out if they had approval from Parramatta council? If they didn't have approval are there any consequences? How would the council know they had tree removalists working for them if they did not put in an application? If they had a tree removalist in to carry out the work can it be assumed they had approval.

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Give council a call

Sackie likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Same rules as prior to the amalgamations apply - if you couldn't get it approved under Hills/Hornsby, unlikely to get it approved now. They're not going to overturn previous policies until new LEP/DCP's are prepared in 3-5 years.

5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Do you really think the policy changes will take that long to be in effect? I thought it would be 12 months or so. I could be wrong though.

6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Being native it may be likely to stay, unless it's on its last legs. Councils have inspectors that come out and give it a hug and see how it's doing

7. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Most likely need an arborist to make that judgement

I have seen ads in tradingpost/gumtree of one stop shops (arborists + tree cutters)

8. +men

+men Well-Known Member

It's silly that you can chop a tree without council approval in QLD whilst you can't in NSW. Come on...we all pay the same tax

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Exactly why Qlders shouldn't be able to chop down trees

10. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Different currency.

Qld is 10 years behind so it's on its way :p

11. +men

+men Well-Known Member

I see...Sydney won't be part of Australia soon, we learn from the british :)

12. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Just give Parramatta council a call and they will send someone out to check. Same thing for finding out if neighbour has approval, Parramatta council is quite proactive so much so they come out to check out my dog when neighbour complained about barking. I hope she will be successful in selling her prop ( asking for too much)

13. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I've had a big gum tree chopped down... 2 actually in parra council.

1st one I put in an application because the branches (big ones) were falling the backyard. Told them that the tenant was complaining and was concerned. They said, chop it down and plant something else somewhere on the property - so i did.

2nd one (Same property), neighbour told tenant to tell me to cut down the big gum tree as branches were starting to fall.

I called PM and told him of the situation, PM organised a tree lopper. Tree lopper said tree was dead, so it legally allowed to be cut down. So i got it cut. That was about 3 or so years ago. So far so good.

Sackie likes this.
  14. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia

School mate of mine is a councillor for Holroyd - now Cumberland. First meetings to discuss LEP's is scheduled for September 2017 he tells me... so I'd lean towards at least 2-3 years before decisions are made.