Parking alot of money in an offset account

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Barneymaroon, 30th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Barneymaroon

Barneymaroon Well-Known Member

Hi all, checking for pitfalls and trying to anticipate problems.

1. I have a loan for 400k on a beach house that is currently rented (currently fixed - prepandemic ;-(
    2. I have savings in an offset account against a loan for ETF holdings, and am getting a payday from a sold property.
    3. My plan is to remove the savings and the freed up equity (total 400k) and put into an offset account on the beach house rather than pay off the beach house. We would then use the beach house for the family.

I am doing this as we might want to return to use the beach house as an investment property in the future - and the equity would then be availble for other things - e.g. deposit on another IP, or a loan to a child - and the remaining unpaid loan would be tax deductible.

I know I will be paying a $4k break fee. Apart from that is there any danger that my lender will be upset about having 400k in an offset account against a 400k loan (I will pay $120 per year with the offset). Any ATO issue with not claiming deduction and then in five years switching it back on.

I can see a risk that only $250k of the offset is govt protected (tic toc loans)

Much appreciate hearing any concerns about my plan.

Thanks

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

You will have a debt equal to the loan so none of it is protected.

Consider breaking the loan while the tenants are there so you can potentially claim the break costs.

Tax Tip 29: Timing the breaking of fixed loans Tax Tip 29: Timing the breaking of fixed loans

Tax Tip 82: Taking money from an offset account on an IP and Claiming Interest
    Tax Tip 82: Taking money from an offset account on an IP and Claiming Interest

Barneymaroon likes this.
  3. Barneymaroon

Thanks Terry. So creditors could take the 400K and we would lose it, or tic tic could close out the loan and I would own the property with no free equity. Presume the latter.

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

If the lender failed the the debt you owe the bank is the debt they owe you so would essentially cancel each other out.

Barneymaroon likes this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

How long is the loan fixed for?

6. Barneymaroon

Another 17 months

7. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

You aren't doing anything wrong so don't sweat, not good for the lender, and that's not your issue.

If you used a broker they will lose trial on a fully offset loan.

Barneymaroon likes this.
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We have loans fixed for about the same time but we have seven loans so we can sit $30k into each before triggering a break fee.

I’d not want to pay $4k break fee for 17 months and would invest it instead but obviously you know your own situation best.

Barneymaroon likes this.