Parenting poll: child discipline

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by TMNT, 13th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

What do your kids do when you tell them to go to sleep?

1. Immediately do as they are told

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  2. Start doing it slowly but eventually do it

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  3. You need to tell them 2-4 times

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Refuse to do it until you tell them 10 times or you get angry

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

On a school night I just turn the TV off and tell Miss 12 it's time for bed ... although is usually anywhere around 9.30 so more than reasonable time for her to go to bed (up in the morning at 8am).

On weekends, or during school holidays, we just go to bed when we feel like it - but still no argument.

So many times I have to bite my tongue when some kid is whinging in the supermarket - wanting a lolly, books, toy - and parents hold out before giving in ... every time you give in you teach them just to keep whinging until they get what they want.

Not healthy for getting on with society when they are older

2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Try bribery ... when junior was 2.5 she didn't sleep thru either ... until hubby told her that if she didn't wake us for two whole weeks he would buy her any toy she liked.

For two weeks she slept thru - every day she checked with him that it was "any toy" - she even explained the toy to him that she wanted in detailed and he still agreed ... at the end of the two weeks he asked me to buy the toy - only then did I realise he'd promised her a $200 life sized pony that moved and neighed (he had no idea what the toy was).

No choice but to buy it - she stuck to her side of the bargin. Slept thru ever since

Tillie and Brian84 like this.
  3. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

So where to from there, did you then say if you sleep through the whole night for a year you can get another toy. I will try it but I think my son is to stubborn for bribes.

4. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

I bet that it was the best $200,- that you have ever spend.

Lizzie likes this.
  5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Nah - by the end of the two weeks she was in the routine of sleeping thru and has done so ever since (is now 12)

Brian84 likes this.
  6. Investig8

Investig8 Well-Known Member

We have a 8.5 and 5yo, both boys.

Love a bit of structure and I'm certainly an advocate of discipline, and yes I have smacked my boys, around the legs, on more than one occasion. Although I rarely do it now.

I went for respect first, their love second.
    My wife went for love first, their respect second.

I don't have any issues with them and haven't for some time, my wife is still fighting them as they feel they can push her boundaries. Did I have to put up with the "I don't love you", blah blah, whatever mean crap comes to their minds when things didn't go their way from when they were babies, yes, did I care?, sometimes, did it hurt?, sure, sometimes it did, but I knew I wanted their respect more than their love as I believe their love was maternal and would always be there.

I never once heard "I love you" from my father, no hugs, and certainly no kisses, my kids hear it everyday, many times a day with big hugs and kisses as well, this is probably the most important part of my parenting journey.

No electronics in their rooms whatsoever, their rooms are for sleeping, playing lego, reading books and downtime when they have been sent there to rethink their previous coarse of action somewhere else in the house.

Brought discipline in at an early stage, it has served us well as they are simply the most respectful and loving two boys now between the hours of 8pm and 6am. :p

But on a serious note I had a tv (because I bought it) from when I was 15, in my room, for the next 15 years, and I never slept well and still to this day have messed up sleep patterns.

Dinner usually is around 6pm, sometimes 6:30pm, bed at 7:30 for 5yo, 8pm for the 8.5 yo, no TV or electronics after dinner as that's the time we play some sort of game like UNO or trouble or something similar as a family, talk, chat about the day or get rumbled because they feel like it.

We are not perfect by any stretch of the imagination as I feel there is no such thing however, I have many friends who don't have structure and discipline in place and their kids are out of control, so I know personally which I prefer.

It also allows you and your partner, wife, girlfriend time together sooner which is something YOU NEED when you have kids, it's just too damn easy to forget about the relationship you have because your putting all your focus on the kids.

Burnhi and Lizzie like this.

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF