Parenting poll: child discipline

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by TMNT, 13th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

What do your kids do when you tell them to go to sleep?

1. Immediately do as they are told

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  2. Start doing it slowly but eventually do it

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  3. You need to tell them 2-4 times

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Refuse to do it until you tell them 10 times or you get angry

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that; 6 times a night is too much.

None of our 3 were good sleepers until they hit approx 3 years of age but nothing like that; maybe a couple or 3 times..

It sounds like something might be amiss there; possibly too hot - too many coverings of clothes and/or blankets?

We have found that our kids would wake up more frequently due to this.

2. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Allowing kids to roam around until whenever they feel like going to bed borders on neglect I reckon; kids (especially younger ones starting in school) need 12 hours of sleep or even more.

The "cotton wool parent" is alive and well.

I'm not an advocate of slapping kids, but geez; now and again they really test your patience.

Our formula is they get 2 warnings, with a promise on the 2nd one to get a slap if we have to say/ask it again.

But; you have to followthrough on that promise, otherwise they will very quickly learn you are all talk and no action, and ignore you. That is hard to do, but it works and minimises the grief.

We try to round up our kids (3 and 5 year old) at 7.00pm....teeth, into bed, a storybook, a few songs, then lights out.

But of course; it is never smooth. I voted in the 2-4 times section.

We find that they stall for time, and/or get distracted and pick up another toy etc most nights. Hard work.

The end result is a good job done if you can wind it up by 7.45 o_O:D

Last edited: 14th Aug, 2015
    KayTea, WattleIdo and Propagate like this.
  3. Raydar

Raydar Well-Known Member

Ever tried tresillian? We have been, but for breast feeding issues. We had some friends go for their 3yr old sleeping issues. It worked a treat for them.

4. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

My first newborn slept 6-8 hours overnight. The second was up every 2-3 hours and that was a real shock to the system.

As mine are much older now and they naturally wake up around 6.00-30am each morning, we ensure that they have regular sleep times at night during the school term and they are better for it.

On those occasions where they miss their normal times they can be feral the next day.

5. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

7:30 seems very early to send kids to bed, l thought that before I had kids but kept my mouth shut. Tonight we were still in the pool then, dinner at 8, just now finished playing dominos at 11pm with my 5 year old. He wakes up at 8 so still gets 9 hours. Didn't sleep through the night until after 3 years though.

6. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

3 year old 7pm
    6 year old 7:30pm
    9 year old 8:30pm

All pretty much go to bed as asked. Sometimes there's a protest but we don't accept it. If they are being disrespectful then it no doubt happens through the day as well, not just at bed time.

Being a parent can hard work.

Touristy likes this.
  7. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

I don't have kids, but I was a kid, and I know lots of people with them. It comes down to parenting style. I think I can make a fairly objective observation. Unlike you, I don't bring my parenting style to the observation (not insulting you BTW).

You're girlfriend is what I call a screamer, or a bogan mother. My sister's one. Just repeat, repeat and then shout till the child complies. I cringe when I see it, but it works for her.

My mum was a negotiator. "If you want to stay up an extra 30 mins tonight then you are going to have to go to bed 30 mins earlier tomorrow. Go and brush your teeth in the next commercial break" - that sort of thing. It worked for her.

My dad was the military. "That washing up has to be done by 8.30, or there will be consequences" - and there were consequences. It worked for him.

Have you considered that the kids may have a behavioural disorder like ADHD?

8. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

nah, definitely not adhd,

'bogan mother' ??? ive never heard that before

anyway, I am strict, I don't think negotiating is a good thing, you are a parent, and know better (especially with kids that age) you tell them what to do, not what they want to, not negotiable. that's what I have issue with so many parents these days, I think kids need discipline and structure.,

if they want to negotiate or debate, join the debating team.

I have adult friends who weren't spoilt but parents had absolutely no discipline. they have grown up to be decent and nice human beings but pretty much all are one of or all of lazy, undisciplined, and have problems such as wont eat vegetables etc.

as for the ' I don't want to inhibit my kids creativity' excuse that many ******** parents use an excuse for bad behaved kids, if they want to learn the skills of negotiation, then fair enough, they can suggest that to me, but ultimately, from a certain age, as negotiation skills are a great skill to learn but I feel it undermines my authority and their respect for any authority

my two cents inc gst

Raydar likes this.
  9. Mombius Hibachi

Mombius Hibachi Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

serendip, Bayview and Touristy like this.
  10. Ed Barton

That's because I just made it up.

""if they want to negotiate or debate, join the debating team.""
    At those kids ages probably not negotiating is reasonable. A little bit older yes. It shows them that everything is up for discussion. I wonder how many parents have the time or energy to think about how best to raise their kids?

11. Ed Barton

What would you like to know?

Tillie and Gockie like this.
  12. Sashatheman

Sashatheman Well-Known Member

2.5 year old, in bed by 9pm
    3 month old sleeps a lot during the day, long sleep starts around 8pm.

Our families biggest struggle with sleep currently is that the 2.5 year old has been sleeping in our bed all this winter. The 2.5 year old would wake up several times if he is in his own room and cry. Since we had a newborn at the start of Winter, my wife had to wake up a lot already to feed the baby, so it was impossible to also deal with a 2.5 year old waking up. He sleeps well in our bed, but now its time for him to go back to his room at night, and he doesnt want to.

13. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

That sort of leaves the question wide open,just wait till they start going out and it's the other way around you end up waiting up all night thinking when are the coming home and if they are safe,never had a problem when they were all younger but that was maybe more of a responsibility every night 8 was the time to go to bed,but that depended on homework and sometimes was hard to navigate
    then mobile phones the internet came into the picture and things changed again..

14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I don't think negotiating once they are older is a bad thing. The example given is one we used many times. You want to stay up to see the end of a movie? Then you shower before and clean your teeth in the commercial break before it ends. We gave ground and they gave ground. That way, they saw what they really wanted to see, and didn't start the shower/teeth routine after it finished, which takes half an hour really.

I think it showed our kids we didn't stick with a rule just because it was a rule and without thinking it through, we could be flexible but we ultimately had the final say.

Chilliblue likes this.
  15. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Beware the strong willed child :confused:

Apparently, you get the children you deserve :D

Attached Files:

freyja likes this.
  16. serendip

serendip Well-Known Member

Buy a bigger bed? When you actually start talking to people many many co-sleep some or all if the night. Lots of my friends have either bought a bigger bed or put their child's mattress/ bed in the main bedroom. Another option is to have kids sleep together. We are one of a few cultures around the world who insist on putting a tiny person in their own bed at the other end of the house, it's not surprising they wake up & cry, it's scary, they'd much rather be with their family who make them feel safe & secure. I'm sure this will incite some outrage, but flame away, you will never convince me making children feel safe enough to sleep more soundly is a negative thing.

17. serendip

serendip Well-Known Member

As for discipline, I guess you would label me a negotiator. Kids are people too you know, not just living being to be bossed around at your will. Don't get me wrong, sometimes I yell, but really it's not very effective in the grand scheme of things. It's a much happier house if I say something like ' ready for bed at the end of that show'. Then he'll turn off the telly, loo, teeth, book, snuggle, sleep. If I turn off in the middle of something yeah, he'll be ****** & fair enough. If the show will go too long we'll negotiate till the end of the ad or scene. He's 4, works for us :)

Last edited: 15th Aug, 2015
    wylie likes this.
  18. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I wasn't game to mention this, but at 9 months with our oldest breastfed four or five times a night, I was a zombie. Our paediatritian suggested putting him in our bed, and that was the answer for us. I got a full night's sleep. Breastfed him without getting up, semi-asleep. Brilliant!!!

Subsequent babies came straight into our bed. They each were very happy to move to a big bed by the time they turned two. Sometimes we would move them into their own bed through the night as they got bigger but it suited us all. Once we tried controlled crying with the first baby (before moving him into our bed) and I hated it. He hated it. The neighbours hated it.

I was always very aware of the little person beside me and never felt I would roll on him. It saved my sanity.

Co-sleeping seems to go in and out of favour but it worked for us.

Doncossack and serendip like this.
  19. freyja

freyja Well-Known Member

It all depends on your family circumstances. My kids are up at 7am, out the door by 7.45am. A 7.30pm bedtime is necessary for them to wind down (reading, colouring etc) to be asleep by a reasonable hour to ensure they get the sleep they need.

As for the OP - I think letting kids watch screens right up to the expected bedtime is a recipe for disaster - reading time/quiet time is needed for them to wind down first. I even turn down all the lights around 7pm start the 'winding down' process. That said, I have 2 who go to bed easily and 1 who persists on coming out to tell me "I can't get to sleep..." expecting me to do something about it...Um, go to bed, close your eyes and wait until morning.

20. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I'm very laissez faire about when my kids go to sleep. Really, I let them go to bed when they want, and get up when they want.

But they are grown up and have left home, some years ago.

Sapph and wylie like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia