Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Parenting poll: child discipline

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by TMNT, 13th Aug, 2015.

?

What do your kids do when you tell them to go to sleep?

1. Immediately do as they are told

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  2. Start doing it slowly but eventually do it

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  3. You need to tell them 2-4 times

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. Refuse to do it until you tell them 10 times or you get angry

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

So i know im a strict parent. Not a total ogar but i place high emphasis on discipline

Ignoring school hols. When i tell my kids to go to sleep. They usually have a grumble. And start doing it. Every now and again i have to say it twice.

School holidays they are a bit harder to get to sleep and i admittedly am a bit more lenient

Last week i was at the girlfriends house and she was telling her kids to go to sleep aged 8 and 10.

It was a school night and was around 10pm. I reckon she had to tell him to turn the tv off at least 6 times. Half the times she was totally ignored. The other half was protest and "i judt want to watch this bit"

He only trudged off to bed when thr mum screamed "go to sleep. How many times do i have to tell you. Stop being a disobedient brat"

By the third request i was getting pretty frustrated and bit my tongue and felt like pulling the plug on the tv and marching him upstairs. And lets not get started on his temper that the mother allows him to tantrum

They say anyone who doesnt have kids wont know how hard it is. But is it just me but any parent that allows their child to ignore them completely 2 to 6 times is simply turning the kids into spoilt, disobedient ****s

I just feel that discpline is out the window in todays world. Ranging from screaming kids at restaurants, cafes, flights etc .

2. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

No small humans myself.. But I am certainly a drill sergeant when it comes to discipline! Kids can be so intelligent.. My little cousins that I look after walk all over their dad, but the quickly adapt when I am in charge ;) The have puppy dog eyes down and tantrum throwing down to an art form.. Consistency is key...

Lil Skater and Jess Peletier like this.
  3. Mombius Hibachi

Mombius Hibachi Well-Known Member

4. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker - Australia Wide Business Member

I'd be biting my tongue too - that's appalling and also really unhealthy for the kids - they need more sleep than that at those ages. I have an 8 and 10 yo myself - 8 yo in bed at half seven during the week, and 10 yo at 8.30pm.

5. Raydar

Raydar Well-Known Member

Mine isn't old enough to tell them what to do yet, 18 months. At this stage bed time routine works pretty well and the cot still contains her. She will have good 5 min complain before realising it is in vain, lies down and tries to sleep... Mind you, we had 3 months of hell when she was teething. Feel so spoilt now, she even has started sleeping through.

6. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

I just turn the T.V off or pull out the fuse if necessary, they soon go to bed rather than sit in the dark doing nothing. and you only have to do it about twice. I don't argue they do as their told or suffer the consequences. They soon learnt tantrums didn't work I just laughed at them and ignored them , they only ever tried it once, if you let them get away with something once you are setting yousrelf up for always having trouble. it is not hard at all, it is only hard if you let it be hard.

7. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Mine sometimes have a grumble but pretty good most times. The trade off is school holidays.

Teachers will tell you one of the greatest thing children need is enough sleep. We also know young children that go to bed around 11am and then need to be dragged to school the next day.

8. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Depends on the day of the week, phase of the moon, or colour of the sunset

For the most, we follow a process with regards to time and wind down and it works, other days its a battle

[​IMG]

9. FireDragon

FireDragon Well-Known Member

My 5 years old daughter will only go to sleep when my wife gets angry.:p

WattleIdo and Brian84 like this.
  10. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

My 2 1/2 yo son goes to bed before we have to tell him but always wakes up about 4-5 times through the night which drives us crazy. Any tips to get him to sleep through the night.

11. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

8 and 2 year old both in bed at 7.30

8 year old can read for an extra 30 mins before lights off.

No TV, no devices, no whinging.

As much as I love my kids - I also love that kid free time in the evening.

Ask me how my routine is going in 8 weeks when we throw a newborn into the mix though :-(

12. Vacant

Vacant Well-Known Member

I have a 3 year old and a nearly 2 year old, both little ratbags. We had a good bedtime routine going. Dinner, bath and story and bed. Usually all over by 730. Was going great until my wife had surgery 5 weeks ago, now it's a lengthy snuggle with mum until they pass out.

WattleIdo likes this.
  13. Raydar

Raydar Well-Known Member

Yes yes and yes

Lil Skater and Jamie Moore like this.
  14. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

And feed your kids breakfast too.

Chilliblue likes this.
  15. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

I just let my kids go to bed when they are tired, I don't tell them. The 2 year old usually around 9 or 9:30 pm, the 5 year old 10:30-11:00pm, sometimes midnight on holidays. This is Spain though, everything later.

16. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

We had this for 4 years with our son, and now nearly 3 with our daughter. We tried EVERYTHING including admission to hospital for mum and baby.

Now I just use ear plugs. My wife is up 6-8 times a night, and unfortunately is only 6 months from her next noise maker.

17. D.T.

D.T. Adelaide Property Manager Business Member

I love that kid free time i get around the clock :)

Tillie likes this.
  18. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Well we are pretty much similar. My wife is up heaps to go in to his room while I'm asleep, I don't hear him as much as she does.

Our next noise maker is due in early March.

WattleIdo likes this.
  19. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

bahaha you'll know your alive when you have 2!! ...oh and congrats by the way!!;) im yet to know about 3 but not in a hurry just yet
    does number one have a sleep during the day?

20. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

So do I. The difference is that our kid time is behind us, not ahead of us.