parent accommodation + investment in Melbs

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by noviceInvestor1, 2nd Apr, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. noviceInvestor1

noviceInvestor1 Well-Known Member

I need to provide a small sized accommodation for my parents who live in Melbourne- basic no frills 1 bedder (kinda like a granny flat or DPU). I don’t intend to seek any rent from them.

My parents don’t work, are on govt pension and apart from that completely dependent on me financially. However I live in NSW.

I am happy to buy a property in Melbourne (up to say 1 to 1.2 mil) but I’d also like to get some rent from this. I am happy to build a granny flat or DPU on this property. However GF rules in VIC are a nightmare and I don’t know if I’ll be allowed to rent the main house whilst my parents live in the DPU in the backyard.

In other words this property will be an IP for me but also serve a dual purpose of accommodating my parents.

How can I kill these 2 birds in one go?

My only expectation from an IP point of view is that the property will earn me some reasonable rent, and should have some appreciation in the long term (say over the next 20 years) - so pretty low/generic expectations.

Please suggest what sort of property might fit this requirement! Preferably around south east Melbourne or failing that anywhere in Melbourne metropolitan area.

2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Why though? Because from what I can tell, those two goals are somewhat at cross purposes.

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

In VIC I think you cannot rent out granny flats separately to the house - but I am no expert

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Buy an IP, collect the rent, and use that to pay rent on a place for the parents.

The Y-man

Marg4000 and PurpleTurtle like this.
  5. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

One option is just help them out financially, for rent or whatever, if needed?

PurpleTurtle likes this.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.