Palm cove, Trinity Beach or Clifton Beach

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Palmcovecairns, 29th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I also know quite a few people who live at the Beaches, it depends if we are talking about the western side of Kerrawa Beach, well away from the water or somewhere like beachfront Clifton Beach. There is usually a substantial premium to insure waterfront places in Cairns due to the possibility of storm surge.
    Many people tend to under insure, Maximise excesses and often minimise contents insurance. Some no longer insure at all.

Post cyclone Yasi my premium quote from Allianz the following year increased to approximately $5000. A used a broker and received quotes as high as $7000. Allianz essentially decided they had too much local exposure and raised their premiums to eye watering levels.
    I changed to Youi, I don’t remember the premium at the time but last year my premium was $2400?

The Grinch likes this.
  2. Greedo

Greedo Well-Known Member

I was talking away from the water but not necessarily the other side of the highway. Admittedly I’m not across beachfront or very close to.

3. JenJen

JenJen Well-Known Member

My two cents...
    * Palm Cove - very tourist oriented and few locals, plus quite far from town and hospitals etc. IMO. Prices are substantially higher due to tourist appeal. Good for fishing off the jetty and holiday rentals.
    * Clifton Beach - popular with an older population with preferences for large blocks of land. Not much in the way of restaurants etc.
    * Kewarra Beach - popular school, and good beachfront living. Diverse mix of older properties ripe for renovating, and smaller blocks close to highway. West side of the highway offers some lovely elevated options with decent land and new builds.
    * Trinity Beach - most popular beach for locals. Good number of restaurants. Quite diverse in it's offering, as it contains older large blocks of land, elevated and low-lying areas, new estates with small blocks etc, and close to shopping and university (Disclosure - I grew up in Trinity Beach).
    In all cases, check the flood maps first!
    Insurance quotes can be obtained prior to purchase - these will be influenced by location, age of property, security etc.
    Cheers
    Jen (NQ Buyer's Agent)

amazed likes this.
  4. Darwin55

Darwin55 Well-Known Member

Can I ask what your concerns are with regards to the redevelopment of the golf course?

5. 27649

27649 Well-Known Member

Hey Mate,

First of all those are some great suburbs in Cairns. In fact I lived in Clifton Beach for 5 years so I have a bit of a soft spot for it. In terms of the Cairns Market like most places around Australia we have seen a reduction in overall transactions this is largely because discretionary sellers are sitting tight waiting for certainty, so at this stage there are more buyers then sellers (it’s a sellers market). Palm Cove will certainly provide so gems however many of the properties close to the water in Palmcove are terrible with mosquitoes because of the swamp and mangroves plus during tourist season you can’t really enjoy the place. Clifton Beach and Trinity beach have some great amenities to walk dogs and go for a jog. Clifton Beach in fact has the best walkway alongside the beach and with your budget you could almost get ocean front or under 5 minute walk to the beach.

6. ellejames70

ellejames70 Active Member

7. ellejames70

ellejames70 Active Member

Have noticed there are cheap townhouses at Clifton Beach and I am wondering if they are cheap for a reason? They are the ones situated on the Cap. Cook Highway, so this could be a reason why........

8. Squirrell

Squirrell Well-Known Member

The yields up that way seem good based on my quick skim of domain. Whats the erosion, flooding potential in clifton and kewarra? Those are the things that worry me. I saw there was a 1000sqm beachfront block for 850k being advertised there. Would normally consider that a bargain.

9. Frenchie

Frenchie Well-Known Member

I like the elevated houses near Trinity beach, up the local hill. No idea if they're good investment but for a ppor it would be amazing lifestyle

10. Squirrell

Checking back in. I see clifton beach has gone up 20pct last year?

11. 27649

27649 Well-Known Member

Yep. It’s land locked there mate. Supply is low and demand is high = price growth.

12. Squirrell

Should have gone with my instincts. Spent some vacations up there, lovely spot. Better than palm cove imho. Thinking this was a bargain buy? But direct coastal ppty worries me a bit in nthn qland with cyclones and climate change.
    59 Arlington Esplanade, Clifton Beach
    https://www.domain.com.au/59-arling...tm_source=Android app&utm_medium=sharelisting

Sent via the Domain App

13. Sam123456

Sam123456 Well-Known Member

If a cyclone is big enough to do damage being a bit back from the beach won't help either though

14. 27649

27649 Well-Known Member

Storm surge. It has come up there before.

Squirrell likes this.
  15. Sam123456

Sam123456 Well-Known Member

That makes sense. I was thinking of the cyclone winds.