Health & Family Paleo Diet!

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by 380, 24th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Who remembers drinking milk out of those little white and blue (or was it red?) tetra paks at school, and drinking milk out of glass bottles with silver foil caps?

My mother used to scrape the cream off the top of the bottled milk after it had settled, and spread it on bread with jam.

WattleIdo and Lizzie like this.
  2. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

That too!

3. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Yeah I remember those little bottles! The magpies lo v ed to stick their beaks into them before we got them.
    I'm going to give this un-homogenised thing a burl. Will have to make special request I s u ppose though it's amazing what you can get in the supermarkets out here now (eg spelt pasta).
    I suspect it may all be over with the dairy though. Even goat's cheese gives me a red nose and makes me snuffly. :confused:

4. Bayview

It is very relevant to how folks think - and learn.

My previous life was as a Teacher of Golf (almost 30 years at it).

Over that time, I became very good at analysing how folks received information - auditory, visually and kinesthetically, and also which side of the brain they most favoured to process information.

Left hemisphere people needed to be given almost a completely different set of words than the right hemisphere person - to receive the same message.

So, I had to have a different set of descriptions for the two types of people to do the same drill or movement I wanted them to learn.

For example; a 45 year old male accountant golfer, and a 50 year old female artist golfer. Or; vice versa.

Sometimes you would get a husband and wife wanting to share a lesson together - who were similar to this pair! :eek:

Heinz57 likes this.
  5. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Easier than Cards though ;)

6. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Call it what you will, looks healthy

[​IMG]

Rather than the fast and highly processed foods

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doncossack likes this.
  7. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

The only problem is that there is no such thing as favouring one side of the brain over the other. People use both sides of their brains. There is no specific personality characteristics based on which side of the brain you are using at any given time.

Its an old wives tale. Not only does it have no evidence, it actually goes against existing evidence.

http://m.livescience.com/39373-left-brain-right-brain-myth.htm

8. Bayview

I agree that folks use both sides of their brain, but I can tell from personal experience as described in my above post; they favour one side over the other in certain life activities.

9. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

But they dont.

They can actually measure it and they simply do not favour one side over the other. Did you read the linked article?

If personal experience trumped scientific investigation then for most people the world would still be flat.

But in any case I can sense when scientific evidence isnt going to change someones opinion so ill stop there. If science doesn't convince someone of something then I have no hope.

10. Bayview

Dismissing what I have to say just because it isn't 100% a scientific study is narrow minded.

This whole forum is choc-full of folks who live their whole lives on nthe basis of a scientific study they saw on the internet, and haven't actually gone out and seen a lot - from my ever-increasingly frustrated observation.

In any case; I can call on an entire industry of colleagues who would disagree with that study.

Your link doesn't work, by the way.

I have been to numerous Teaching seminars over the last 3 decades, and it is a regular topic of discussion in the pursuit of become better at reading and analysing our students, so as to deliver a message in such a way that they will better comprehend and more quickly what we are trying to convey.

One of the first questions we (I) ask our students when meeting them for the first time is what they do for a job, and what their interests are....try to get some background on how they think and how they learn.

This allows us to make an assessment of which type of terminology will work best on them.

More analytical - left hemisphere, more creative and use of imagery etc - right hemisphere.

More analytical students ask lots of questions about the dynamics and physics of the golf swing, for example.

A middle aged lady who loves making cakes and painting couldn't care less about the physics, generally. She just wants a few images and simple phrases to allow her to visualise in her own mind what it should feel and look like.

Then you have to apply the learning preference to the student as well.

I can give a predominantly "visual" learner a lesson with much less dialogue, and they will understand everything; showing them the movements,and positions etc - they often mimmick.

An auditory learner might respond better to the sound of the ball contact on the clubface, the sound of the shaft, and of course; my voice.

I used to be an examiner of Trainee Professionals in their Teaching exams. Often we would see a very knowledgeable Trainee give an appallingly bad lesson because they were using the wrong words for that student.

It's quite interesting.

11. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Yea youve had personal experience. But you can have personal experience and still be wrong.

Lets try some other links then:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/nov/16/left-right-brain-distinction-myth

http://www.oecd.org/edu/ceri/neuromyth6.htm

http://www.brainhq.com/brain-resour...brain-myth-left-brain-right-brain-personality

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/left-brain-right-brain-myth/

http://psychology.about.com/od/cognitivepsychology/a/left-brain-right-brain.htm

Many many more studies and articles explaining the myth if you need more links.

I wonder if youll even click on those links considering the info contained absolutley obliterates your theory.

12. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

No I didnt base my beliefs on this topic on something I saw on the internet. I based it on what my neuropsychology professor taught me.

13. Bayview

I'll get him to come and watch me give a golf lesson some time.

Being a professor; he is more than likely to be a left-hemisphere thinker, so I'll organise a right hemisphere thinker t5o give the lesson to, and see if he can relate as easily to the info I pass on.

I'll also need to speak to him to evaluate which of the learning preferences he favours.

What I have said is not theory; it is results based on thousands of lessons given.

I'm not disputing that the science is wrong; just that I have experiences that prove it can exist despite a study.

Last edited: 27th Aug, 2015
  14. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

No you have experienced people who prefer different ways of being taught. You have not examined brains while that happens in order to determine the cause of the different preferences.

Your experience equates to me saying that ive noticed that some people are good drivers and some people are bad drivers and my idea is that this is because the people that are good drivers are using their left motor cortex instead of their right motor cortex.

Then when someone asks for evidence I state that I know because for 30 years ive seen some people that are good drivers and bad drivers.

However this is not the point of contention. The point of contention is the unfounded theory that it has something to do with the left or right motor cortex.

This has nothing to do with laterlisation of function.

And by the way its not one study. Many many studies and a whole field of neurobiology that demonstrates fundamentally that your idea is wrong.

Im wondering is your theory falsifiable? Or is it completely worthless?

15. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

It is a theory by the way. Just by definition within science thats exactly what it is.