Painting Wooden Garden Fence

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by Darcy Tan, 17th Jul, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Darcy Tan

Darcy Tan Member

Tempting to paint my wooden garden fence but there are just so many trees! A friend told me that I will need to cover all the trees to avoid any contact with the freshly painted fences. I found it almost impossible unless we bend all the trees and I am afraid it would permanently change the shape of the tree. Also wonder how future-proof it is given the tree will eventually touch the fence after removing the cover.

Any past experience with this? What materials do you use to cover the trees and what type of paint would be best? Should I leave it to the professionals (Airtaskers) instead? The total surface areas are almost 50m2

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Perhaps put up some photos. We've never painted our side and back fences and couldn't do it now due to all the plants. The timber silvers off and almost disappears and it looks very different to a painted look.

Marg4000 likes this.
  3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm with Wylie - we've never painted a wooden fence a have only ever used hardwood. You're probably best off going down to your local mechanic, get a drum of used sump oil and paint your timber fence with that.

That's the country gal in me talking

It is best to pull back plants while painting and then they're fine to brush against the fence afterwards. It won't do any damage to the plant or fence, as long as you use the proper paint. Even if you get some paint on the plants, they'll grow new leaves so not an issue - really just want to stop them messing the wet paint on the fence itself

Darcy Tan likes this.
  4. Darcy Tan

Darcy Tan Member

Thanks. Painted a couple of panels and the finishing doesn't look great. Here are the before and after pictures.

I powerwashed a day before. I sanded them lightly and didn't prime it as I was told that Dulux paint includes primer and it is not required for outdoor wooden fence. I painted a generous layer using the brush following by spraying to finish any untouched area. I Applied 2nd coating after 1 hour. Looking okay during day light but not great when it's getting dark. Any idea what went wrong? Should I use roller?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Looks like it could use another coat.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Dad painted their fence well over 40 years ago, used the Aussie-made little Beaver compressor/spray unit. Fence is now on it's last legs. Compressor is still working too.

2 coats of mission brown.

7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

The color you've used is to light. Go a dark grey/charcoal