Painting - Which White

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by hvdw87, 1st Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hvdw87

hvdw87 Well-Known Member

Is there a preferred order in which to do them? Before or after walls?

2. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

My sequence when painting an entire room is:
    • Ceilings (roller and quick brush at edges)- Ceiling White
    • Cut in wall/ceiling and edges with brush- Acrylic wall paint (low sheen)
    • Walls (roller) - Acrylic wall paint (low sheen)
    • Skirtings, door frames, doors etc (small brush and small roller)- Enamel (semi gloss)
    Tip: I used to use the 230mm long rollers, but now use the larger 270mm rollers and a larger paint tray. Slashes the paint application time. I would go even longer if these were readily available and I was doing a large surface.

perthgal likes this.
  3. hvdw87

hvdw87 Well-Known Member

Fantastic, thanks so much for the advice.

Any tips of quality of brushes rollers? Is it worth buying top of the range?

4. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

If you were a professional or doing lots of painting, top of the range would be the go.

However, this is obviously not you, so I would buy mid range, but definitely not cheap.

Nothing worse than hairs coming off as you apply a brush stroke. Also, ensure you get rollers with the correct "nap" for the surfaces you are painting. The higher the nap the more paint the roller holds and the easier it is to paint textured (or rough) surfaces.

BTW, I am not a painter, but have done my fair share, so have learnt a few tricks along the way including using gladwrap on brushes between coats and using inserts or bags over roller trays before filling with paint to save time and effort during cleanup.

craigc likes this.
  5. hvdw87

hvdw87 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the great advice.

6. Up The Creek

Up The Creek Member

For the DIY job you can get inexpensive microfibre roller covers now. Get a half decent roller frame with telescopic handle. Quality brushes go well but you have to learn how to wash them properly and take care of them. I have decent results lately washing up using paint cleaner from Bunnings which is on the shelf next to the mineral turps.

Get someone knowledgeable to help you with techniques first time around. Definitely would help to have a quality tutorial on prepping painting with enamel for the first time.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia