Painting - Which White

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by hvdw87, 1st Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hvdw87

hvdw87 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Looking at painting all the internal walls on a property we have just moved in to. I have included some photos for context (tile, carpet, kitchen colours).

I know nothing about different paint colours, but do know that our furniture is all in "Hamptons" style for whatever that may be worth.

We just want to brighten the place up a bit (current walls a bit beige) with standard tried and tested colour combinations.

All suggestions appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. keenas

keenas Well-Known Member

If only it was that simple. It really does depend on ambient lighting, floor coverings,room orientation and of course personal taste just to name a few considerations. I would recommend getting test pots to try.

For instance we have lexicon quarter in the lounge and kitchen, its cool and fresh and it brightens the room up. Conversely we have antique white usa in the bedrooms a its warmer white than lexicon quarter which i think would be too stark for these rooms.

standtall, hvdw87 and Shazz@ like this.
  3. Shazz@

Shazz@ Well-Known Member

I’m sure there will be others that will give you some great suggestions, but I went through something similar when I did my first reno. What I found useful was going to bunnings and finding some inspiration from all the brochures on display from the different paint companies. Even after I picked my colours, I ended up going back to change them.
    So I agree with @keenas that sample pots may be the way to go.

hvdw87 likes this.
  4. hvdw87

hvdw87 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice. The living rooms and kitchen are all north facing with lots of natural light, however they all have dark floor coverings (the tiles and carpet, although I would also like to change that over time), so expected that some whites wouldn't work well.

5. hvdw87

hvdw87 Well-Known Member

Would you be concerned that where the rooms were directly connected to each other with different whites, it would look odd?

6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'm really boring and have gone - for the last two builds - Taubmans Illusive White low sheen on the internals (semi gloss for the trim). It's a very clear white white, so doesn't throw to any underlying tone/shade, and hence goes with everything.

Once that's done I start fiddling with feature walls and wallpaper, and using furniture/soft coverings to bring depth to the home.

Mark F likes this.
  7. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

On my IPs I use "Solver WA Ceiling White" on the ceilings and "Designer White" on the walls. Makes it very simple to cut-in as well as refreshing and touching up between tenants. Also looks good with effect varying depending on lighting.

I like the Designer White so much I have commenced using it on my PPOR.

8. skater

skater Well-Known Member

We're repainting our PPOR. It used to be Antique White USA, changing to Lexicon. I like the crispness of the Lexicon.

hvdw87 likes this.
  9. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Casper White in these pics

D60A6B0A-9A2F-463A-BB7D-CE017F70C236.jpeg B7B5FF14-3CFF-4231-BB3E-80942D0A1C35.jpeg BF109B45-9BE7-43AF-B007-795F4A387D9B.jpeg 07A0F4B3-F83F-476E-954B-1D6EF3B9E489.jpeg A2E73802-69D5-459B-8542-6139FF3E16B4.jpeg 846EFE30-6671-437E-A4B8-1737D4C302FE.jpeg 1E85D823-5E45-4330-BEB2-83A380949902.jpeg

10. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

I've done the same recently. I've always used Antique White USA in the past but now using Lexicon Half low sheen for the walls and same colour for the doors/trim but in semi gloss enamel (water based)

hvdw87 and skater like this.
  11. hvdw87

hvdw87 Well-Known Member

I have just had a family member paint their house with Dulux Natural White. I thought it was a bit too cream/beige, but guess I would need to get it on my walls to see how it looks with the flooring/lighting.

12. perthgal

perthgal Active Member

@jaydee - may be a silly question but what brand is Designer White? Thanks :)

13. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

@perthgal - I'm not sure whose colour it is, but I buy all my paints thru Solver (now rebranded Wattyl Paint Centres) as I get trade discount thru a friend.

I buy it in 10 litre containers. Tint Label shows the following:

Colour#: 10.20; Code 88399
    Designer White
    Base: White Base
    Wattyl Trade Low Sheen White
    Tinters: L (12 1/2)

perthgal likes this.
  14. hvdw87

hvdw87 Well-Known Member

So I went to Bunnings and got some sample pots to put on a few walls through the house. Landed on Vivid White, Lexicon Quarter and Casper White Quarter as the colours I liked the look of.

This however has raised another question for me, do you do the cornices and skirting boards in the same colour as the walls? Or a different tint of that colour? Or matching the ceiling (ceiling white)?

15. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

Do cornices in the same colour as walls (only need to cut in at the ceiling cornice interface).
    Skirtings should preferably be in satin enamel (oil based) and suggest vivid white or similar (no tint required).

16. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

My last 2 builds I have done Lexicon 1/4 and then1/2 next one will be 1/2 again.

skater likes this.
  17. hvdw87

hvdw87 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the feed back, why do you suggest oil based for skirtings?

18. hvdw87

hvdw87 Well-Known Member

I do like the Lexicon 1/2 as well, was just a bit concerned it would be too grey.

19. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

It is still definitely white. Just felt less clinical than the 1/4 for me. I like them both tthough.

hvdw87 likes this.
  20. jaydee

jaydee Well-Known Member

In former times enamels (oil based) were always used on timber surfaces such as doors, architraves and skirtings as they were more hardwearing.

These days modern acrylics can be used, however, it still remains my preference to use the enamels on these surfaces as I find them easier to apply and IMO give a better finish.

hvdw87 likes this.