Painting vs Floorboard polishing - which one first

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by neK, 30th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Just in the middle of renovating a house and getting trades lined up.

What I would like to know is what sequence i should be doing this in?

Paint first, then floor polish OR
    Floor polish then paint.

I think if i paint first, then polish, the walls will be dusty, but the floor will be good.
    If i polish first, the painter will be clean the walls (they have to anyway regardless), but if they damage the floor, the whole thing might need to be redone.

Anyway, keen on getting people's thoughts.

Thanks!

2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Um, can you sand it, paint, then polish?

3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe just do all the walls-doors ect first..Then leave the floors and the mess and dust till the last..imho..

4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Start at the top (ceilings) and work your way down (floors).

codeninja, Northy85, Whitecat and 3 others like this.
  5. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

I polished boards first but had very good painters with decent drop sheets etc.

Dean Collins likes this.
  6. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I think it would be safer to paint first, then sand floors last. You can always sand out any paint dropped then, plus you won't need to wait to walk over floors etc
    We are in the same process, we just painted and are due to do floors this week

7. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

Maybe just leave the skirtings until after the floors as the sander can scuff them up a little if they are not very careful.

8. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Thanks every one for the responses.
    Paint then floor polish looks like the way to go.

@EN710 can't really sand, paint, polish because they are two separate tradies and like most, they want to get their job done asap without having to rely on a unrelated 3rd party.

9. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Everyone and every job are different :rolleyes:

But, are the current floors sealed ?

If not, any any "accidental" spills or droplets may be absorbed into the timber, and be impossible to remove (even with sanding).
    I'd rather have a careful painter than be trying to chop out and match a floor board :confused:

10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I'd generally say paint then floor polish, note that the varnish can stink for a very long time. At least in my experiences.

11. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Actually, my floor is already polished... i polished it 13 years ago. So its more a light sand + repolish.

Stoffo likes this.
  12. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I had originally planned to paint skirts last but realised that it was just not practical at all as you said the painter won't want to come back for them.
    We installed new built in robes as the house had none, my only recommendation would be to install the robes before the skirting goes on as we had to pull them off to get the robes in and put them back on afterwards, though if you have a robe person this wouldn't matter but we DIYd some wardrobe fitouts and mirror doors I got from gumtree. PITA to install but we got there!

13. jchan86

jchan86 Well-Known Member

Paint everything, then sand/seal (request hand sanding near trims - similar to cutting in), and as required touch up trims. This is the process I followed.

I purposefully asked for hand sanding near trims because I was using an oil-based paint for my trims

14. Danielle

Danielle Member

My fiancé and I recently renovated a property with floorboards, best to paint top to bottom then polish the floors as one of the very last jobs. We had the floors polished a couple of weeks before renos were complete and floors didn't look as good as when first polished as we got a lot of dust on them over the last few weeks.

15. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I suppose it depends on the finish on the floors. I always aim to do all painting before getting floors done. On the other hand, having the floors done makes the house seem habitable to me so I have twice had the boards done before finishing the painting. Ceilings done (mostly) though.

If I was doing a low sheen water based finish on the floors and the floor boards were close to flawless, I'd definitely wait. Keep them covered with carpet, lino or whatever for the time-being.

However, both times I've had the floors done I've opted for high gloss polyurethane (not chic, I know) and it's easy enough to wipe off any kind of paint splotch - though also a bit of a pain.

As mentioned above, try to get as much sanding done before the floors as you can - I would say that's the main thing.

Last edited: 1st Oct, 2016
  16. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

As someone who worked installing floors for five years while studying:

Solid floors:
    1. Install
    2. Paint
    3. Sand
    4. Polish

Pre-finished floating floors:
    1. paint
    2. install

17. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I am planning on the high gloss finish so that it just looks really fresh to tenants, I know we should be going Matte for practicality, but I just can't help myself. How have yours held up?

18. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Yes. High gloss is very practical. The parquetry flooring I had done 8 or 9 years ago still looks great. The old floorboards I've had done in this old house I'm in now are pet and kid resistant. Will get another coat on before I leave too. The gloss lasts a long time and looks fresh longer imo.

19. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Oh thats great, everywhere you read says to go matte, but it just doesn't look as fresh and modern. Im really glad to hear that!

WattleIdo likes this.
  20. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

Sand and polish first and point out to painters perfect floors and any ****s they will be responsible for (but get your paint quote first.....).

Tell them to make sure they are bringing good drop cloths and to Masonite under their ladders to prevent pressure marks.