Painting timber ceiling - yay or nay

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by DaveM, 26th Jan, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Frenchie

Frenchie Well-Known Member

I'd remove the paint on the trusses and keep them natural. 80s style but it will come back in 5-10yrs.
    I feel white / light trusses would also look good. The dark colour makes them stand out more than the ceiling and create this overloaded / oppressive feel.
    If it's still too dark, I would do a very light white wash to the rest of the ceiling, but I much prefer natural timber and you have the right balance of timber vs wall

2. LIDM

LIDM Well-Known Member

Really quick photoshop but hopefully might help if you squint
    wps.jpg wps2.jpg

3. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

If you paint that gorgeous timber ceiling I will personally walk over to Radelaide and shake some sense into you. Paint those beams white or monument instead!!

Marg4000 likes this.
  4. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Yes, I’m still crying over my friend painting a beautiful modern custom piece large low line jarrah tv/entertainment unit white. Turning thousands into hundreds.

5. MikeyBallarat

MikeyBallarat Well-Known Member

They could have given it to me and I could have bought them some white IKEA thing in return...

I am generally of the belief that there isn’t enough timber in modern homes. Nowhere near enough. On a low to mid spec build it’s rare to find any at all. And that disappoints me

6. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

7. skater

skater Well-Known Member

I like the photoshopped version with the trusses left dark, but maybe you will get a really great result by leaving the wood paneling there & just painting the trusses white. Maybe someone can photoshop that option too?

AxeLy likes this.
  8. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Exactly!! I would’ve done the same had I known!! The previous owners of her house built the house, then split so included the jarrah piece in the sale. Now it just looks like any other cheap piece of furniture. She didn’t like the jarrah piece against jarrah floorboards but it really was a centrepiece to the house! She could have a least moved it to the white-creme tiled lounge room.

9. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia

White against Monument or Domino.... will definitely pop