Painting the house

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by eastsider, 27th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. eastsider

eastsider Member

Hi All

I will be painting my house shortly and I have been quite overwhelmed by the number of different paint products out there. I will be painting internal (ceiling, walls, windows and doors). Just looking for white for both the ceilings and walls.

From researching online I have found the following steps for painting a house:
    • Sanding / scrape off rough surfaces
    • Clean walls
    • Fill in gaps
    • Use Primer
    • Use undercoat
    • Paint topcoat
    My confusion at the moment is what products do I actually need to paint the house. Do I need both the primer and undercoat? I was at bunnings and noticed Dulux have a 1 step primer, sealer and undercoat. British paints have a 4 in 1 product. Are these suitable to use or should I just stick to a primer or just an undercoat? Do you use these for ceilings, walls, doors and windows?

There are so many different ceiling and wall paints out there. What is a preferred brand that you use for ceilings and walls?

2. No Probs

No Probs Well-Known Member

I've been thinking the same thing, just started preping yesterday, I've sanded down any rough spots, filled in gaps and tomorrow I'll sand the filler before cleaning walls with sugar soap. From there I'll use Dulux 1 step primer on the sections that have filler (I'm painting a previously painted surface) and finish it off with 2 coats of paint. I plan to do the ceiling first, followed by cornice and then the walls. I'll take the doors off and do them along with frames last. Not 100% sure if it's the quickest way to get the job done but as long as it gets done I'm happy.

3. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

I've been recommended and used the '3in1' undercoat, seems to work well, I used the Taubmans product, it even says can go over oil based paint too (old doors etc)... I think the British Paints 4in1 should be fine too. I used Aqua enamel on all my doors in plain white and it looked good, couldn't be bothered getting it tinted. Buying paint is expensive, for your top coat shop around for specials and larger 'value' tins, I usually stick to the better brand names however I did see at Masters premixed colours plus ceiling white 10L was about $30 they have about 3-4 basic colours available for walls 10L for $45, not sure what the quality is like. Ask them about their return policy... I never hesitate to return anything to Masters or Bunnings if the quality is poor. Doors can be done hanging, easier to do both sides at once, find an old real estate sign and place under the door to stop paint going on the floor or use cardboard.

My steps are:
    Cleaning everything first with sugarsoap
    Fix any holes etc
    Sanding everything
    Undercoat/sealer (3in1) dont skimp on undercoat if covering darker colours or stains etc.
    Top coat.

Ceilings shouldnt need undercoat if you are going over old white paint, for any bare area's after sanding and scrapping then you would need to undercoat. I'd use a mould shield in the bathroom for ceilings.

For doors my preference is using a roller, it gives a much better finish that a brush.

Enjoy ;););)

WattleIdo likes this.
  4. rhinsor

rhinsor Well-Known Member

Make sure to clean again after plastering holes and sanding as it will go everywhere.

5. eastsider

eastsider Member

Thanks for the responses.

So just to confirm, you only need to apply undercoat to areas that have been filled up with a filling compound? Or is it worthwhile applying undercoat to all areas of the walls regardless of whether it has been filled or not?

6. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Undercoat everything

7. eastsider

eastsider Member

Undercoat both the ceiling and walls?

8. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I thought the main job of under cost was for new gyprock. If already painted normal paint dies the job.

9. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I don't know about the ceiling. I'd be happy to hear it doesn't need it. I would definitely undercoat/ primer etc the walls. The paint goes on easier and looks better. Like anything - there are renovators out there saying that no-one would notice if you painted over wallpapaer. :confused: I would. o_O

10. MrRB

MrRB Member

I'm in the paint prep phase too, just I keep finding more and more chips and bumps.
    After priming all the bare patches of plaster. I'm repainting the old fabulous peach, but due to having a mix of old paint with patches of primer to paint over I've decided to water based undercoat all the walls. I just want to avoid doing all this effort to repaint the place and patches of different shades and textures.

11. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Try not to look at evrry small imperfection! It will drive you insane... walk into a room spend 5 Min looking and that's it, the more you look the more you'll find! Plus there's little gain as the paint hides or make them less obvious.
    When you spend hours with your head <10 inches from the wall you notice a lot of minor things that just add extra prep work. So it's best to let some go for your mental well being

Rich2011, MrRB and No Probs like this.
  12. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Depends on what you are trying to cover up i.e. fresh plaster work or dark colours..?? If painting beige over existing beige walls could be ok. Really depends on the quality of the paint you are using and the existing walls and colours. If in doubt undercoat will make life easier.