Painting kitchen cupboards

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by neK, 23rd Aug, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. neK

neK Well-Known Member

So my brother has just recently purchased a property and we're looking to reno it for rental.

From what I've been told, the place is in very very good condition... but it still old none the less.

The kitchen I believe is a older vinyl covering on the doors - its a kind of hard coating on the wooden doors, the type that can be quite brittle.

Anyway, I'm thinking a cheap option would be to paint the doors cream/white so that it looks little more modern.

Is this something one would recommend (trying to avoid rebuilding a whole new kitchen) - and what paint would one use?

Here's a pic of the kitchen

image4b.jpg
    PS: we will be replacing those blinds :)

Last edited: 23rd Aug, 2017
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't paint them if they are vinyl wrap. To be honest, the most "dating" thing in the photo is that old style sink (and the lacy curtains :eek:).

Unless the PM says the kitchen really is a stumbling block for finding a tenant, I'd stop at ditching the "grandma" curtain and replace it with a sleek roller blind or slim venetians until you have a real need for a new kitchen.

Tom Rivera, New2prop and JacM like this.
  3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Light sand and white knight paint
    Just work out what type of door material you're dealing with

4. Tanya1335

Tanya1335 Well-Known Member

I am with Wilkie, I would replace the lace curtain with roller blind or similar, also even change tap ware/ cupboard handles the difference will be surprising.

Also if the inside of the cupboards is in good condition you can replace the cupboard doors/draws for a fraction of the cost. Any cabinet maker and some handymen would be able to do this.

Blueskies likes this.
  5. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

^ ^ this as @wylie says. The vinyl wrap is vacuum sealed on and not really suitable for painting if brittle and starting to crack in places.

6. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@Propertunity if they aren't cracking it should be ok right?

What if they are cracked / brittle? What should I do there (short of ripping out the kitchen and putting a new one in).

7. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Kitchens are so cheap now, I'd throw it in the skip.

wylie likes this.
  8. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Its all relative. I could put in a $6k kitchen + $1k appliances in, but my brother doesn't have that much cash to spend...so I was hoping for a <$300 option where I could paint it.

Truthfully, the sink itself is a turn off, and so is the freestanding white cooktop / stove.

So far the renovations are as follows:
    • Remove the bidet and put a toilet in its place (it currently has a separate toilet so this will make it two toilets).
    • Remove the chandeliers (its a 2.4m ceiling - you gotta be heaps short otherwise you'd be constantly walking into them) and replace them with modern looking lights - or downlights.
    • Paint kitchen - or worse case, rip it out and start again.

9. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Looks like varnished blackwood or similar. Sand the gloss off, prime and paint with oil based enamel with a quality fine knap roller. New handles and remove lace curtains.

I would probably paint in a darker colour and not stark white, otherwise will make the other not so new and white splashback and benchtops look grungy.

[​IMG]

10. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

To hide the lovely sink you could just put a strip of timber or even a heavy duty contact tape across the front edge.

Then paint will do the job. What's 300 bucks and a weekend to do it. You can still rip it out later and put a new one in

11. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

Spend $2k.

Sink, 4 way chrome down light fitting, $120 blind, flat pack single side IKEA kitchen and laminate bench.
    Won't have to touch it again for 5-7 years.
    Messing around painting stuff is rubbish.

12. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I just saw the place for the first time yesterday.....

The cupboards are actually look like vacuum sealed doors. They aren't old, but probably done in the last 3 years... just that the previous owner had to pick an ugly orange faux wood colour :rolleyes:

They also put a in breakfast bar where they shouldn't have. Shame to get rid of granite... but it is badly place and makes it a near impossible task to get a fridge into the allocated space - you either need a super small fridge or a bunch of big tongans that can lift the fridge over the breakfast bar.

I think ripping out the kitchen and putting a new one is the way to go unfortunately.

13. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Does any one have tips when drilling downlight holes.
    I have someone who is an electrician, but has never had to drill holes for the downlights.
    Drilling holes is easy - having them line up is the hard part.

Any tips / tricks to this? @bob shovel ?

Would this work - mark down the locations on the floor. Then get my laser taper measure and use just shine the laser to the ceiling and then mark the ceiling with a dot ?

Last edited: 27th Aug, 2017
  14. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Back on the subject of the kitchen cupboards - the orange colour isn't the worse and the cupboards are in better condition that I anticipated.

I think I could get away with changing the benchtop and kitchen sink and that will do the job for now. Probably put some laminate benchtop as the kitchen will get ripped out again in < 10 years. Any thoughts / opinions?

Also do kitchen sinks that fit a 400mm benchtop exist?