Painting Colourbond Fence

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by alexm, 10th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. alexm

alexm Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Does anyone have experience with painting colourbond fences? What materials did you use?Did you first use a primer as a base?

Never done this before but looking for some tips from those who have.

Thanks
    Al

2. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Good question. Also wondering if there is any kind of paint which reduces the amount of heat and light absorbed and reflected.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@WattleIdo - they're contradictory goals, you can't reduce heat/light absorbed and reflect it at the same time. Possibly suggest a roofing paint.

significance likes this.
  4. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Following...

5. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I know ... but someone has to say what everyone's thinking.
    Roof paint - good suggestion.

kierank likes this.
  6. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

+1

I will probably be doing this in a couple of years. Already have two different colour on LHS and rear. Knowing my luck, it will be a third colour on RHS.

I am thinking of painting the fence black. Any thoughts?

7. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Black = could be very hot. Mind you, I believe that the newer dark shades of paint have 'technology' in them to help them avoid giving off as much heat as they used to. What is immediately in front of, or close to, the fence?

kierank likes this.
  8. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I've noticed that graffiti on colourbond lasts a heck of a long time. Maybe fades a little over time.

So my pick is aerosol paint from a can.

[​IMG]

Stoffo and Scott No Mates like this.
  9. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Plants (trees and shrubs) for most of it.

Property is in Toowoomba, so heat is not so much an issue.

10. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I haven't painted a colourbond fence, but have repainted the colourbond fascias and guttering on my roof twice so far, and the garage doors twice. I buy Dulux roof paint, give the surface to be painted a basic wash and dry, then lay it straight on with a large brush. Two coats.

Mr Angel has plenty of experince painting fences, but I only recall doing timber or concrete block fences. Again wash, then use dulux or other top standard exterior house paint, in the spray gun. I come behind him with a brush to get any fiddly bits it misses in the corners near the hinges and latches. I just copped an earful of techinical jargon about thinning the paint, airless spray guns etc. Thinning would depend on the nozzle...... he said most guns take full strength paint.

O yeah, not everyone has a spray gun or two.

Try not to paint your neighbour's washing :)

Cmelderis and WattleIdo like this.
  11. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I'm a bit late to the party on this but products like Wattyl Solaguard Satin or Dulux Roof and Trim work fine on colorbond fences.

@kierank dark colours look good but be careful about the heat cooking plants growing against it. I've used Colorbond Basalt colorbond fences before and been ok growing creepers on trellis against it but it was a fence on the south side of a house so quite shady. I would choose sturdy plants if painting it dark and it's in full sun.

WattleIdo and kierank like this.
  12. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

My fence is dark brown on the outside and white on the inside. The white side gives off a lot of heat too. I'm thinking a mid to lightish shade would be the best for the inside of my fence. Like a greige or pastel. Sounds terrible. Most likely, I would go for a dark off-white.
    So amny other things to do so I'm resorting to plant cover-up for now. I'll be putting callistemons on the outer western side after February and have put Snow pears and a few Little gem magnolias on the inner western side. All plants at least 1 metre away from the fence.
    Once the trees get big enough, I can plant more hardy but pretty plants next to them like lavendar or rosemary or more callistemon.Pittosporum is pretty tough too, if it can get a bit of shade.
    Vines on trellis are also an excellent idea and look amazing and can be shaped in various ways but do need to be kept under control or they strangle everything.
    Will take an up to date photo and post later.

13. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Spraygun from bunnings is the right tool. Cheap ones $70 and up to around $200 before you get into professional tools. Wagner ($99+) are very good and better than Ozito etc. Ignore äirless...Thats for cars. Unless surface is real bad a good water blast would be all surface prep needed. Good sprayguns dont overspray and are simple to use. Under cost v's over coat to avoid drips and runs. The nozzles need regular cleaning esp in warm weather. Gums up.

Colorbond is not actually a paint !! Its a factory applied surface coating with two sides added before the paint. Its pale blue and applied before paint. It enhances ordinary enamel paint bonding to steel using its two special surface qualities. You cant buy it !!. If you heavily water blast a colorbond fence and take the surface back too far the blue will show through...Thats the colourbond. Its some sort of zinc enhancement.

Use a mineral enamel roof paint thinned to specs for the gun. You can buy the colorbond colours if you want to match colour. Take care you use right version of paint. eg Primrose and Colorbond Primrose by Dulux are different !! Dulux and Bluescope carefully protect their limit colour range and copies are always shares apart. You want a TM approval on the product to guarantee colour. (I used a Dulux tint in a cheaper base and learnt hard way).

If painting over graffitti it will show through as a matte impression. Hard to fix and you dont want to damage the colorbond with aggressive sanding. A matte paint choice may minimise that. I have that issue and seemed to work. Time tells. If its real bad a new panel is cheap and slides in. In the image above I would use same green and avoid a whole repaint.

And there is no better graffitti magnet than a newly painted wall. Paint the fence black and they use silver (a ******* to remove) and paint it light they spray black. Some landscape modifications to the rear lot may help keep people away - Like a IED.

Last edited: 19th Jan, 2018
    KateSydney likes this.
  14. Cmelderis

Cmelderis Well-Known Member

Know anyone in Perth that does this? Looking to do approx 30m if its not too $$$ o_O

15. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

My painter does. Mark at Prestige Painting

[​IMG]

Cmelderis likes this.
  16. Cmelderis

Cmelderis Well-Known Member

Thank you, ill email him....I am just looking for ball park at this stage

17. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

I've noticed the spiders prefer the warmth of the darker color, or maybe tbey blend in with it better, but the webs stand out.....

kierank likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia