Painting Ceilings

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Allgood, 7th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Allgood

Allgood Well-Known Member

Ok, lets get one thing straight - I absolutely hate painting ceilings. I detest it and I think it's probably the worst part of renovating... big call I know, but don't underestimate the internal turmoil it causes me.

It's not being bent backwards like a banana for hours at a time, or the fact that I end up covered in speckled-white spots, it's those little lines that the end of the roller causes. That, and trying to get an even cover.

Anyone have any pointers, except for passing a wad of cash over to some other poor fella to suffer??

Arghhh, ok back to it. :mad::mad::mad:

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Sorry to rub salt into the wound, but painting ceilings is probably my fav thing about renovating. It makes my neck feel good after slouching over a computer for many hours a day, or leaning forward over a steering wheel if in the car.

I use a thick one coat Dulux Ceiling White with a pink tint that drys white. On wet or humid days it works great. On dry, hot days it fades from pink to white too quickly to see where you've been.

And before you ask, no I'm not interested in painting your ceilings. :)

Jacque likes this.
  3. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

I found using good quality painting tools and paint make the world of difference. I started off using the cheap stuff as more of a disposable item but major PITA. Invested in decent quality brushes, rollers, poles etc and made the job heaps easier and end result looked heaps better too.

Just make sure you have the right size nap on the roller sleeve for the type of paint you are using. As far as even coverage goes I just make sure I have a system and stick to it. Ie from wall to first set of downlights and work from left to right, then from first downlights to second downlights and left to right again etc etc I don't overload the roller with paint and I don't press too hard either.

Azazel likes this.
  4. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Cross rolling is the key to a good ceiling finish. One coat working length ways and next coat width ways. Smaller rooms that arent drying too fast you can cross roll on each coat.

5. Allgood

[QUOTE="
    And before you ask, no I'm not interested in painting your ceilings. :)[/QUOTE]

Bugger, I was getting excited there for a minute!

6. Allgood

Thanks for the advice. Kinnon Bell I've always used cheaper stuff, too. But because this is our PPOR I went to a paint shop (as opposed to Bunnings,) got some advice and hopefully some good quality stuff. I think I'm prone to doing too long a section at a time, rather than smaller areas.

Thanks DaveM, I'll try it.

7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Oh my neck.........

The Y-man

Starlite and Allgood like this.
  8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Don't use high gloss.
    However you prefer painting, cross ways, sideways, long short - do long rolls in one direction at the end. Don't push too hard or you might get those marks at the edge of the roller.

9. drg86

drg86 Well-Known Member

I find putting more pressure on the leading side of the roller helps. So if your painting left to right put more pressure on right side of roller. This way the trailing edge (left) fans out those lines your seeing. Not heaps just slightly twist to one side :)

10. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

I find after put roll the roller in the paint tray i do a extra layoff roll in the tray just on the edges of the roller, that stops the thickened lines on the edge.
    I also do the cross roll when painting and as i got better and faster i can layoff any lines on the ceiling with a final light roll.

Allgood likes this.
  11. Big Red

Big Red Well-Known Member

Use good quality rollers and paint. Prep is key too.

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The trend in retail is to remove the ceiling all together and paint everything black with a spraygun.

AaronR likes this.
  13. Allgood

Thanks guys.

14. Allgood

What are the effects of painting in cold weather. Obviously the paint takes longer to dry, but does that cause lasting issues? My beloved ceiling was painted in cold weather yesterday morning and now that it's finally dried it looks really patchy, as if there's not enough paint on the roller. Could that look be due to the cold, or do I just really suck at this?

Did I mention that I hate painting ceilings??

15. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Might not be enough paint on the roller, and maybe the old paint had filled and it's more obvious.or is it new gyprock?
    Have another go or 2! Is it fun yet?

16. Allgood

:mad::mad::mad::mad:Looks like there's not enough paint on the roller but I thought at the time it was an even spread, and that the cold might have had something to do with it.
    Living the dream.

17. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

i love painting..... When someone else is doing it!

Starlite and Brian84 like this.
  18. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

we used a contemporary matt finish on our wall aint, and then continued the colour to the ceiling.

a seamless finish is easier and makes the house look bigger.

that said, our colour was Flokati 1/4 - which is a like a grey/white.

19. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Seriously Alan you need your head read :D Neck cramp, paint everywhere, seriously sore arms... nothing to love about ceiling painting! I can now pay tradies to do this for me but back in the day when I couldn't, I must admit I found wearing a shower cap and googles honestly highly useful!

20. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

What an attractive sight Jacque.

A roller and extension handle goes a long way to avoiding all of the issues or a spray gun and masking.