Painter recommendation - Brisbane inner east (Bulimba)

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by djyella, 26th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. djyella

djyella Well-Known Member

Hoping for a painter recommendation for a modest job (Master bedroom and stairwell) for my IP in Bulimba area.

Newer (less than 10 year old) home, just tenants have been rough with it.

Any help appreciated!

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'll send you my painter's name and number via private message.

djyella and Sackie like this.
  3. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I can PM you my painter details if you would like a second quote to compare with @wylie

djyella likes this.
  4. djyella

djyella Well-Known Member

Thanks @wylie much appreciated! Yes please @kierank that would be great also!

5. kierank

Sent you a PM

6. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

@kierank and @wylie

That your contacts are good/reliable is hopefully a given, but are they cheap too? Have been quoted 000s to paint a few external windows for my IP in the area.

7. wylie

I think you've answered your own question. Who would pay thousands to paint a few external windows?

He's a great painter, and we trust him completely. In fact, when he was painting our place, we gave him a key and we told him to let himself in and make a coffee or grab a snack any time whether we are home or not. We'd hear him in the kitchen and think "we'd better get up and have a coffee with him". Of course, we consider him a good friend now and he wouldn't just go to anyone's fridge or make himself a coffee.

I've just replied to a private message with his, and I think it says it all...

The work he has done for us here at home, and for various other houses (rentals and houses belonging to friends and family) is too varied to list.

He has painted our house outside and inside. We've painted with him when we've needed something done and need more than one painter. He has just painted my son's house and he had a friend help him.

I think he does fantastic work, fantastic and detailed preparation, and sometimes that means a higher price, but a "cheap" paint job without good preparation is a waste of time and money.

I doubt we could get the same quality of work for cheaper.

We consider him a friend now, and don't ask for quotes. We do ask for a ballpark figure so we have a rough idea, but if he needs more time to prep something that he finds once he has started, then we pay him more. He is as honest a man as you will ever find.

I do believe that for painters quoting on older houses like we hold, they no doubt pad any quotes, because invariably we find more preparation is needed once you start the job and find out the shortcuts the previous painters used. We once paid him two days just to work on a (beautiful old and "wow") ceiling that continued to peel as he painted. Clearly it needed to be totally renovated and remediated and that took two days. Another painter would not have done the extra preparation and that ceiling would have been peeling again. We are happy to pay for good work that fixes a problem, and not just have someone paint over it (again) and kick the can down the road.

Last edited: 27th Sep, 2017
    kierank likes this.
  8. kierank

I never choose cheap.

I always try to select value. To me, value is a very personal thing and is a function of price and quality.

For example, Holden and Ford are lower priced than say BMWs. I have never bought a Holden nor Ford but I have bought a number of BMWs as I see them as better value.

Same with my recommended painter. I have hired him many times, not because he is the cheapest but because he is better value (quality job at a reasonable/competitive price).

End of lecture :) :).

Sackie and wylie like this.
  9. diagnostic

diagnostic Well-Known Member

Can I please also have your painter details? @wylie @kierank Thanks.

10. kierank

Done

11. wylie

Done

12. PropertyInsight

PropertyInsight Well-Known Member

Can you PM the painter contact details?

Thanks!

13. namrata

namrata Well-Known Member

One more request for painter details!! LOL

PropertyInsight likes this.
  14. af72

af72 New Member

Would love your painters details too please. Painting the entire interior of my PPOR shortly.

15. af72

af72 New Member

Me too please :)

kierank likes this.
  16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

17. Yann

Yann Well-Known Member

Hi @wylie @kierank please share your painter details as well. I need to paint quickly a one bedder in St Lucia. I also have a house on the gold coast to paint next year if up for it and good job on the unit. Thanks

18. Yann

Yann Well-Known Member

Hi @djyella who did you end up using?

19. kierank

Done

20. wylie

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.