Paint that lasts 10-15 years

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Andrew H, 3rd Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Andrew H

Andrew H Well-Known Member

Hi all, something that has been concerning me for a while is the talk paints only lasting a short time and needs to be re-done 3-5 years for example, fading, peeling off etc. Almost always we are talking about house paints, water based acrylic which is probably the weakest paint on the market. But the most widely sold in retails shops such as bunnings and local house paint stores.

For around the same cost or slighty more you can can use 2 pack industrial paint. Usually consists of an epoxy undercoat, followed by a gloss polyurethane topcoat to make it pretty. Epoxy's will slightly chalk when exposed to UV, hence the need for the polyurethane topcoat and the gloss factor. Which lasts forever. I recommend this for steel, alumnium, concrete driveways, external wood.
    The downside is when an unsuspecting person goes to paint over these with weak waterbased acrylics from bunnings it will just drip off. You also dont need to re-prime over polyurethane, you just topcoat again after normal preperation and your good again for another heap of years.

I would not recommend using these types of paints for internal uses such as walls or external walls as you will definetly have someone try to paint over these, inlcuding painters with water based acrylics.

I would however consider this for internal cupboards and woodwork but is a bit over-kill.

I have also painted over tiles using a single- pack etch primer or 2 pack epoxy primer + polyurethane topcoat, inlcuding wet areas and lasts ages and glossy. You have to ensure tile surfaces are clean, preferably lightly sanded or use hydrochloric acid to etch.

2. 158

158 Well-Known Member

For people not familiar with these types of paints there are several options that will work well. Ill list them by manufacturer name and paint compatibility:

Jotun: Jotacote 605 as base coat, then Hardtop Ultra or Imperite 300 as topcoat. Other compatible base coat would be Jotamastic 90, and for steel Id recommend Pengard Special.

International: Interplus 1180 as base coat, followed by Interthane 990 polyurethane topcoat. 2 pack acrylic topcoat Interfine 625 could be used. For concrete or steel, Id recommend Interzone 954 as base coat.

Dulux Protective Coatings: Durebuild STE as base coat, then HPX polyurethane topcoat or HBR Weathermax.

Other brands I have used are Hempel, Ameron, Cameleon, PPG, and Taubmans however would have to look back for specs on those.

Remember also that you need to use the appropriate thinner with each paint, and then the appropriate thinner to clean up with, as its not always the same. You also cant skimp out on thinners as they are designed to escape at different rates according to manufacturers recommendations.

Also, 2 pack products do have lower effective pot life, so you must work quickly with some coatings. All protective coatings are best sprayed, but can be applied by brush and roller, but no way does it look as good.

pinkboy

Last edited: 3rd Apr, 2016
    D.T. likes this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Depreciator - can you still depreciate the cost over 5 odd years? Or life of paint?

@Andrew H - good idea but you're dealing with tenants and not necessarily the best materials to apply epoxy. Render/plasterboard is porous unlike mdf or tiles. It's better to freshen up the place more frequently than less.

@pinkboy - looks great on concrete. Roll-on Dulux product.

4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

The ATO has a brand that lasts 40 years I recall

ta
    rolf

Xenia likes this.
  5. 158

158 Well-Known Member

SNM, Cameleon have some niche products that can be applied to timber/Masonite/concrete/FC sheet.

pinkboy

6. Andrew H

As why i said not internal or external walls. The rest is why i would use because of tennants. Why would you 'freshen up' if the 'freshen' looks the same? I think your mitaking these for fading acrylics still.

7. Andrew H

I would stick with the International 1180 followed by 990 as you said. or 1180 - then Interfine 629 depending on price. They look great when finished.
    Interzone 954 costs an arm and leg, probably not worth it unless you get it for free somehow.
    I'm not too familiar with the other brands so can't comment.

8. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

The ATO don't differentiate between paints. Paint has an Effective Life of 40 years. I reckon the paint in the little flat I'm starting a reno on soon was applied when the place was built in the 80s. It's fine - just needs a clean. If a surface is properly prepared and a decent paint used, it will last 40 years. If it fails, it becomes a 'repair' issue.

9. Scott No Mates

Missed that bit.

As to freshening up - I don't think that line green or mission brown/khaki from 1987 works in a modern context.

10. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Yes, 629. I have a lot of paint numbers in my head. Also know a lot of the AS 2700 paint code numbers too! Ive personally sprayed 10000'sof litres of protective coatings

My gripe with International is....well besides it being incredibly overpriced all around.....is the fact that some products just don't perform as they should.

I had no end of trouble with white 954 turning p!$$ yellow only after few days, then to have them tell me its operator error? How does spraying paint turn it yellow magically? Must not have been holding the gun right? Anyway, that's long gone. Been using Jotun and Dulux mostly.

990 is pretty exy. The other brands have very reasonably price polyurethane topcoats that way outperform 990. We are really liking Dulux HPX. It has higher solid content, and our yellow handrails are turning out magically. You don't get that with 990 on the first go.

Are you an International Rep?

pinkboy

11. Scott No Mates

Have you been using a left-handed spray gun? Mustn't have followed the directions for that striped white paint & accidently mixed it with air.

12. Andrew H

No not an international rep. Thanks for the advice i will look into those other brands also. I got hold of some of the International brand products hence only familiar with those. You've done a lot more painting then i have!