Paint colour dilemma

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by robbie_p, 1st Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. theperthurbanist

theperthurbanist Well-Known Member

I'm leaning towards Whisper White Low Sheen for my IP renno walls (largely due to the strong nod on this threat! Oh, and liking the colour...). Still not sure on what colour to match for doors/architraves etc, and I was wondering what those who have used it on walls found it matches well with @vtt , @JessicaP , @JacM, A Jeremy?

I'm trying to 'modernise' a dated 60's brick and tile house so I was thinking a light shade of grey or something else that is relatively clean and modern.

2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Would Solver "Earth Child" be too dark? Here it is against white

[​IMG]

3. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

I did a unit with Whisper White on walls and ceiling, and a gloss version of same colour on the architraves. It was a small dwelling and this was absolutely the right decision. It looked heaps bigger and brighter. Contrast colours on the architraves would have made it look smaller I think.

Westminster and WattleIdo like this.
  4. theperthurbanist

Looks pretty good to me, I might go grab a swatch. Cheers @Perthguy .

Ps haha love the name... Does it smell like patchouli oil?

5. theperthurbanist

Interesting, I'd never thought of the colour of trims as making a room feel bigger or smaller (such a painting neewb!).

My place is neither very small, nor cavernous. I'm just trying to imagine whether aesthetically it will look better with contrasting doors/trims or a single colour. Either way I will definitely be going a higher gloss on the trims.

6. Perthguy

I don't know what that is but I imagine it will smell like paint :p

I had not seen Earth Child before but I quite like it. I think I will be using it in the future

7. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

With Whisper White I would do as @JacM says and I would do the doors, trim and walls the same colour but gloss and satin etc

Speaking of contrast I'm going to do black doors and trim in a project - now that's a contrast :p

JacM, theperthurbanist and TerryN like this.
  8. theperthurbanist

So I'm pretty much decided on Whisper White walls, white (Laxicon 1/2; WA White or similar) ceiling and then for the architraves/cornice/door either a brighter gloss white (Lexicon?) or something like Whisper White 1/4. I have a 'feature' timber balustrade and fireplace that I would like to go quite white with (thanks for the tip @Jess Peletier) and it makes sense (to me) to have the doors/cornices the same colour as this feature. Is Whisper 1/4 strength even a thing though, or will that just be pretty much plain white? I figure it makes sense to use a 1/4 strength to subtly tie it in with the wall paint (I'm already going to have a few different tones going on between the painting carpet and blinds).

9. theperthurbanist

RE gloss level:

I was pretty much set on low-sheen for the walls (with mat ceiling and gloss architraves/doors), as I had heard low-sheen hides imperfections in walls better than mat and I have A LOT of spac-filling that needs doing, plus the higher sheen is easier to wipe clean (I will be going Dulux Wash and Wesr). However speaking with a painter he mentioned that whilst higher sheen may be easier to wash, if you do need to paint over a section mat is far easier to repaint without noticing the difference.

Any thoughts as to which is the best for an (imperfect) IP?

10. Perthguy

I painted low sheen yesterday. I don't love it but it is easy to wipe clean. That's important in a rental. I found the paint took out some imperfections but some are still visible where I didn't sand enough. Overall it looks good. It's not perfect but patched walls are very time consuming to get close to perfect.

11. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Dulux Natural White is as flat and appealing a white you can find.

Having done several renos in the past and getting wrapped up with the interior decorating fad of the day, whether it be grey this and grey that, feature walls of all colours from yellow to navy blue:rolleyes:.......my suggestion is to keep it simple and have white walls and if you have to add any colour (from a paint perspective), stick to small splashes of black/charcoal. Use furnishings for colour. Simple and timeless.

12. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

We pay need our whole house interior with White duck half, white ceilings and trims. Looks fresh and modern.
    Marg

13. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

I did my Ip in Dulux Natural light. Looks crisp and i did a bit of research and its lots of architects go to colour at the moment. It also said whisper white and antique usa is a bit oldschool for interior.

14. theperthurbanist

What don't you love about it? Too shiny?

15. theperthurbanist

Was that Whisper White AND Antique = old school, or Whisper White also a go to but Antique old school?

16. Perthguy

It makes the wall look plastic IMO. I will check again this arvo and see if it is not so shiny.

Whisper white and antique white are fairly similar. Antique is a bit more yellow. I am using Antique in my reno because it is a 1960s house and I am trying to keep the feel of the property. It's not a modern colour at all.

17. Perthguy

[​IMG]
    Valspar American Vintage which is virtually identical to Antique White USA. It is throwing grey in this picture because it is picking up the grey from the concrete. It really is cream.

[​IMG]
    Whisper White. It's a bit greyer than Antique but I think looks creamy in this pic because of the carpet.

The whole house was painted Whisper White and there are more pics in this thread Quick makeover for sale